Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by abaheti
I don't think this is limited to the smaller airports. I've seen all sorts of variations even at hubs. Once UA finds a process that works and stays with it for a while (two big contingencies, I know), I think the staff will start doing it consistently in the right order.
Heck, they still seem to call groups 6-7 half the time at LAX!
Old May 14, 2013, 1:27 pm

I have to admit the new boarding process is growing on me. The lanes work well, there's less crowding at the boarding gate, and there are far few incidents of people trying to board early. And honestly, even if you board at the end of group 2, there's plenty of room for your carry-ons.
Old May 14, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sincx
I have to admit the new boarding process is growing on me. The lanes work well, there's less crowding at the boarding gate, and there are far few incidents of people trying to board early. And honestly, even if you board at the end of group 2, there's plenty of room for your carry-ons.
But this is only in effect at probably ~5% tops of all active UA gates in the network I'm guessing...I still haven't been through one
Old May 14, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Originally Posted by sincx
I agree on bin space. I think I've had more problems this year finding bin space when upgraded to F than I've had boarding with group 2. (Not saying it's always a problem in F, just more than I've noticed in E+.)
Old May 16, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Why doesn't UA allow GF passengers to board early along with GS passengers on long-haul international flights?

It seems silly that GF passenger have to wait in line often behind a group of 50+ "Group 1" passengers comprising not just Business Class passengers but also 1K/PP passengers flying in Y.

This surely is not a way to attract "premium class" passengers as all other airlines including AA board their International First passengers "before" boarding Business Class and other top level elite passengers.
Old May 16, 2013, 6:19 am

I still think the whole think is unacceptable. Reduce the amount of hand luggage and enforce it! So that everyone gets some space in the overhead compartment.

I think it is totally unacceptable for me to be paying my ticket and only because I do not have status with this particular airline have to accept that I will not get over head space because I have to board last.
Old May 16, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Why doesn't UA allow GF passengers to board early along with GS passengers on long-haul international flights?

It seems silly that GF passenger have to wait in line often behind a group of 50+ "Group 1" passengers comprising not just Business Class passengers but also 1K/PP passengers flying in Y.

This surely is not a way to attract "premium class" passengers as all other airlines including AA board their International First passengers "before" boarding Business Class and other top level elite passengers.
+1 million.

Originally Posted by moeve
I still think the whole think is unacceptable. Reduce the amount of hand luggage and enforce it! So that everyone gets some space in the overhead compartment.

I think it is totally unacceptable for me to be paying my ticket and only because I do not have status with this particular airline have to accept that I will not get over head space because I have to board last.
Agree. $100 a bag for any carry-on bigger than a briefcase or purse will solve he problem.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:36 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
So pack lighter (your carryon can go under the seat), buy up to Premier Access, get an Explorer card, or earn status.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
+1 million.

Agree. $100 a bag for any carry-on bigger than a briefcase or purse will solve he problem.
Ths is not even necessary. Our hand luggage is 7Kg (15 pounds) aka LH standard and that would already solve the situation. No kitchen sinks!!
Old May 16, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Ths is not even necessary. Our hand luggage is 7Kg (15 pounds) aka LH standard and that would already solve the situation. No kitchen sinks!!
As between the US and the land of checked luggage (Europe), I'm very glad I do most of my travelling in the US. Carry-on baggage is far more efficient for the traveler, and is perfectly fine as long as people are reasonable about it. Europe can keep its overhead bins full of jackets and loose bottles of duty-free alcohol.
Old May 16, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Carry-on baggage is far more efficient for the traveler, and is perfectly fine as long as people are reasonable about it.
haha.

hahahahahahahahahaahahah.

that made me laugh. of course this works if people are reasonable. but to think us americans are reasonable people just made me laugh.

it's annoying to see people constantly carry on bags that FF's glance at and immediately think, "oh that's not going to fit...". and then they board and lo and behold, it doesn't fit. if they did something as simple as devise a quick way to measure and boot out bags longer than 22" on mainline narrowbodies, i'd be so happy. solving the entire problem? no. but hey, it'd make me pretty happy if they did.
Old May 16, 2013, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by exerda
So pack lighter (your carryon can go under the seat), buy up to Premier Access, get an Explorer card, or earn status.
Why should I if my carry on is often less than half the size of an average american carry on! So yes I have already packed lighted than most others why should I have to resort to putting at my feet on top of that?
Old May 16, 2013, 9:14 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Why should I if my carry on is often less than half the size of an average american carry on! So yes I have already packed lighted than most others why should I have to resort to putting at my feet on top of that?
Your primary storage space is indeed under your seat, so yes, you should.
Old May 16, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
oh hey, just got a notice and saw this on the other side of the fence.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/boarding...title=boarding

so... as small as it is, they're giving some sort of incentive for people not to use the overhead bins.

i like it.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
oh hey, just got a notice and saw this on the other side of the fence.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/boarding...title=boarding

so... as small as it is, they're giving some sort of incentive for people not to use the overhead bins.

i like it.
Wow--AA has up to 8 boarding groups? I thought 7 at UA was far too confusing and problematic

At least it was according to UA's statement and some of the complaints in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.