Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Maybe it's not the full contributor to the cause - but also hawking Premier Access like mad doesn't help - and if you're one of those non-elites that buys it, all you do is see the Premier Access sign and think "why that's my lane!"
That IS one of the problems. I've witnessed first-hand on more than one occasion a CC holder arguing with the GA about when he was entitled to board.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by halls120
That IS one of the problems. I've witnessed first-hand on more than one occasion a CC holder arguing with the GA about when he was entitled to board.
Ya, no signs, pamphlet, or anything will help these rotten apples. You're just going to get a bad one in the batch once in a while no matter what.

Last edited by l etoile; May 14, 2013 at 3:36 pm Reason: Inappropriate comment removed per rules
Old May 14, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Ya, no signs, pamphlet, or anything will help these rotten apples. You're just going to get a bad one in the batch once in a while no matter what. Rules just don't comprehend with half developed apes.
I don't think they're (all) rotten apples, I think they're just normal people who like to cut corners a bit.

There is a contingent here (and I'm one of them) who thinks that there is actually a lot that can be done to discourage cheating, starting with using named boarding groups rather than numbers. It's all about perception. My intuition is -- and I think there's a bit of research out there to back it up -- that everyone cheats a little, but when you make a small cheat look bigger, people are less likely to do it.

When someone has a 2 on their boarding pass and boards with group 1, they think "oh, they meant to give me a 1" or "oh, it's only different by 1." If they hear "platinum," and their boading pass says "EXPLORER," they're a lot less likely to do that.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Ya, no signs, pamphlet, or anything will help these rotten apples. You're just going to get a bad one in the batch once in a while no matter what. Rules just don't comprehend with half developed apes.
These are the types that think they'll be safer queuing outside the toilet than being strapped in when the seat belt sign is switched on through a bumpy ride, even when a FA tells them to sit down .
Old May 14, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: United 1K (GS Refugee), Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by uwr
Perhaps they should change the policy and call GS passengers by name.
Some LGA agents used to do that years ago. I was always a little taken aback until I spent 2 years as AA CK where that is the way they always (ok, 80%+ of time) boarded. Most of the time, even on intl flights, there are only <5 GS or so. Just would make sense to have preboards for disability (usually only a couple people), active military (only usually a couple, if any) and GS (same, usually 2-4 people) called up and board through whatever lane doesn't already have 15 people lined up. I don't need a fancy carpet if I don't have to push my way to front every time.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: UAL 1P
I agree with the named groups (effectively PMUA process).

The 5 line system could be helpful for larger birds, but really it does nothing to address the root problem. Other airlines don't need that many lanes to efficiently board, but somehow the UA does?

Unless UA shrinks groups 1 and 2 back down, fixes the process confusion for CC holders/less frequent fliers (named groups), enforces boarding groups, the boarding mess will continue.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Absolutely agree
Old May 14, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wmute
Other airlines don't need that many lanes to efficiently board, but somehow the UA does?
In the Sunday paper I noticed that Citibank's AA card advertising promises you "Group 1 Boarding" in big bold print, not "priority boarding". Much less confusing. (And AA otherwise looks a lot like pmUA, with named groups for elites/business/first, then numbered groups. But at least the credit card holders show up thinking specifically "Group 1" and can wait for that to be called vs "I have priority" and trying to jump to the front.)
Old May 14, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by abaheti
In the Sunday paper I noticed that Citibank's AA card advertising promises you "Group 1 Boarding" in big bold print, not "priority boarding". Much less confusing. (And AA otherwise looks a lot like pmUA, with named groups for elites/business/first, then numbered groups. But at least the credit card holders show up thinking specifically "Group 1" and can wait for that to be called vs "I have priority" and trying to jump to the front.)
How so? Many kettles would assume Group 1 is the first set of boarding, wouldn't they?
Old May 14, 2013, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aacharya
How so? Many kettles would assume Group 1 is the first set of boarding, wouldn't they?
The AA sign doesn't say "Group 1", that's the key difference. UA's sign says Premier Access, which is exactly what they are advertising to the world.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The AA sign doesn't say "Group 1", that's the key difference. UA's sign says Premier Access, which is exactly what they are advertising to the world.
Exactly. UA has it muddled a bit because so many different people are entitled to "Premier Access", and those people can be in multiple boarding groups. So infrequent flyers and credit card holders get confused (and, of course, make Groups 1/2 so large that elites lose).

AA boarding area/GA just says "First/Exec Plat" then "Plat" then "Group 1".

AA's website even sells it as "Purchase Group 1 Boarding" as an upsell/addon so it makes sense to purchasers when they hear their boarding groups. http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/yourChoice_group1.jsp
Old May 14, 2013, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abaheti
Exactly. UA has it muddled a bit because so many different people are entitled to "Premier Access", and those people can be in multiple boarding groups. So infrequent flyers and credit card holders get confused (and, of course, make Groups 1/2 so large that elites lose).

AA boarding area/GA just says "First/Exec Plat" then "Plat" then "Group 1".

AA's website even sells it as "Purchase Group 1 Boarding" as an upsell/addon vs "Priority Access". http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/yourChoice_group1.jsp
Thanks to both for the clarification. Not all of us made the switch to AA, and hence don't know (with only one line descriptions of the ad) how this is better than UA. I agree - that approach is smart and sound. http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/boarding.jsp

Last edited by aacharya; May 14, 2013 at 12:14 pm
Old May 14, 2013, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
It doesn't help that at some of the "smaller" airports like DCA the GA get confused about the order itself. I've had a few recent experiences leaving DCA where the GA calls for people with disabilities, military, GS, and then skips right to zone 1 and 2, in essence skipping over all 1Ks and PPs. This single actions causes a huge scramble because suddenly all the 1K and PP who were waiting for Group 1 get pushed out of the way while everyone with a CC, etc., who is in Group 2 is suddenly rushing onto the plane. I respect the right for GS to board before me, but this pretty much forces me to be walking through the Premier Line when I think the last GS has gotten in line (something that I had doing because I hate when others do it ahead of another Group), or be part of the dreaded gate lice that gets up to the front
Old May 14, 2013, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
It doesn't help that at some of the "smaller" airports like DCA the GA get confused about the order itself. I've had a few recent experiences leaving DCA where the GA calls for people with disabilities, military, GS, and then skips right to zone 1 and 2, in essence skipping over all 1Ks and PPs. This single actions causes a huge scramble because suddenly all the 1K and PP who were waiting for Group 1 get pushed out of the way while everyone with a CC, etc., who is in Group 2 is suddenly rushing onto the plane. I respect the right for GS to board before me, but this pretty much forces me to be walking through the Premier Line when I think the last GS has gotten in line (something that I had doing because I hate when others do it ahead of another Group), or be part of the dreaded gate lice that gets up to the front
At smaller airports, there aren't usually enough GS to form a line.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
It doesn't help that at some of the "smaller" airports like DCA the GA get confused about the order itself.
I don't think this is limited to the smaller airports. I've seen all sorts of variations even at hubs. Once UA finds a process that works and stays with it for a while (two big contingencies, I know), I think the staff will start doing it consistently in the right order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.