FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Singapore airlines miles not posting into mileage plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1423440-singapore-airlines-miles-not-posting-into-mileage-plus.html)

Vikmit007 Jan 2, 2013 8:58 pm

Singapore airlines miles not posting into mileage plus

I took a flight from LaX to Singapore on Singapore airlines. Completing the flight I requested mileage plus to credit my MP account with the isingapore miles.
I am a MP 1k and I was told that since the fare class from Singapore was a Q class the miles cannot be credited. The class in the ticket stub shows a class Y. I contacted Singapore and they told me that fare class and ticket class are 2 different classes and cannot get the miles.
I did not knew about this , had I known I would have not flown Singapore. I paid full fare on Singapore.
Can you guys confirm if the fare class and ticket class are. 2 different classes? I can't seem to believe that they're different.

Thanks guys.

WineCountryUA Jan 2, 2013 9:05 pm

Welcome to FT!, Vikmit007
sorry about the issue but what you have been told is correct

Originally Posted by Vikmit007 (Post 19963573)
Can you guys confirm if the fare class and ticket class are. 2 different classes? ...

yes, ticket class refers to the cabin you are seating in F,C/J,Y.
Then problem is F,C/J, Y are also fare classes -- along with many other letters.

I don't know where Q sits in SQ fare classes but it is not listed in http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=304 which would infer it is a deep discount economy fare that does not earn miles (looking at the SQ site - N, Q, T, V are deep discount economy).

weero Jan 2, 2013 9:06 pm

.The class in the ticket stub shows a class Y. I contacted Singapore and they told me that fare class and ticket class are 2 different classes and cannot get the miles.

Y is the cabin you traveled in, not your fare base.

I paid full fare on Singapore.
You very, very likely did not. SQ's full fares are Y and S and for the sake of upgrades also B. If you paid any of these, you'd get the miles.

If you did, just submit the ticket to UA and they will credit your segment.

gailwynand Jan 2, 2013 9:09 pm

Funnily enough, I have an old SQ Y boarding pass sitting right here on my desk. No fare class info anywhere on it.

Exleftseat Jan 2, 2013 9:15 pm

The boarding pass will always indicate the class you are flying, Y for Economy. The fare class is visible if you are ask for a ticket receipt. Many SQ fare classes are not eligible for mileage accrual, neither S! nor UA. The classes that are usually are way more expensive than on UA.

sfo Jan 2, 2013 9:15 pm

I took a flight from LaX to Singapore on Singapore airlines. Completing the flight I requested mileage plus to credit my MP account with the isingapore miles.
I am a MP 1k and I was told that since the fare class from Singapore was a Q class the miles cannot be credited. The class in the ticket stub shows a class Y. I contacted Singapore and they told me that fare class and ticket class are 2 different classes and cannot get the miles.
I did not knew about this , had I known I would have not flown Singapore. I paid full fare on Singapore.
Can you guys confirm if the fare class and ticket class are. 2 different classes? I can't seem to believe that they're different.

Thanks guys.

This is from the Singapore Airlines web site showing what earns miles, you might take a look at their web site to confirm what I have copied below, Q shows earnings at 50%.
Singapore Airlines 300% - R
150% - F, P
150% - A, F, P 125% - C, D, J, Z 100% - B, E, H, K, L, M, S, U, W, Y
50% - N, Q 10% - T, V
However when looking at the UA web site and looking at what UA says earns miles on SQ "Q" does not show up at all

weero Jan 3, 2013 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by gailwynand (Post 19963622)
Funnily enough, I have an old SQ Y boarding pass sitting right here on my desk. No fare class info anywhere on it.

Of course not.

Why would it be there???

syzygy Jan 3, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks guys.

Sorry, you are out of luck. Happened to me too a few years back. Singapore does not award Mileage Plus miles for Q Fare code.

weero Jan 3, 2013 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by sfo (Post 19963645)
..50% - N, Q 10% - T, V
However when looking at the UA web site and looking at what UA says earns miles on SQ "Q" does not show up at all

Still a major progress over the past!

It used to be 0% on SQ and any segment in Q would make the entire itinerary non-earning!

TomA Jan 4, 2013 8:40 am

This is all spelled out here:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mar...spx?ItemId=304

Always check the partner milage tables before booking. Live and learn.

Eligible Singapore Airlines fare classes
Class of service Purchased fare class Base miles PQM
Suites R 150% 100%
First F, P, A 150% 100%
Business Z, C, D, J 125% 100%
Full Fare Economy S, Y 100% 100%
Economy B, E, M, H, W,
U, L, K 100% 100%

All other fare classes do not accrue mileage.

20080802 Jan 4, 2013 10:45 am

in my last thxgiving trip, i had round way ticket mia-lim-mia were operated by TA. mia-lim was credited within a few days after the flight, then the return segment lim-mia has never been credited, so i requested online about 3 weeks ago, never got any email nor saw anything change in my account. (the ticket was in d fare) what should i do? 1.submit a mileage missing form again. 2. call a ua rep. 3. give up

also i am sorry for my reply is not much singapore air related

weero Jan 5, 2013 3:09 am

Originally Posted by 20080802 (Post 19974824)
in my last thxgiving trip, i had round way ticket mia-lim-mia were operated by TA. mia-lim was credited within a few days after the flight, then the return segment lim-mia has never been credited, so i requested online about 3 weeks ago, never got any email nor saw anything change in my account. (the ticket was in d fare) what should i do? 1.submit a mileage missing form again. 2. call a ua rep. 3. give up..

Did you made the first request with enough temporal distance to the date of travel?

I would resubmit it a few more times before mailing in the BPs ... and only if that fails, I'd call.

mid Feb 20, 2014 12:07 pm

I just got bit by this as well. Zero miles for a round trip on Singapore Air where they stranded me in FRA for 6 hours and then delayed me by another 6 getting into SIN.

They also lost my bags and got them to me 5 hours after I arrived.

My response? I just cancelled all future travel with United and Singapore Air. I'm also burning all of my acquired miles on Star Alliance.

What's the point of having a loyalty program if you can't earn miles and can't spend the miles you do?

Screw em.

emcampbe Feb 20, 2014 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by mid (Post 22385323)
I just got bit by this as well. Zero miles for a round trip on Singapore Air where they stranded me in FRA for 6 hours and then delayed me by another 6 getting into SIN.

They also lost my bags and got them to me 5 hours after I arrived.

My response? I just cancelled all future travel with United and Singapore Air. I'm also burning all of my acquired miles on Star Alliance.

What's the point of having a loyalty program if you can't earn miles and can't spend the miles you do?

Screw em.

Sorry about your experience. However, you booking in a non-mileage earning fare class on a partner and your unfortunate delay/lost luggage scenario are unrelated. And honestly, having your luggage delayed sucks, but having it returned to you less than five hours later is actually pretty good. In the few times I've had my luggage delayed by anyone, I've never had it returned to me in less than about 15 hours.

On another note, if SQ had got you there on time and with your bags, would you be any less upset about the mileage part of this?

In general, I believe any SQ fare class that earns <100% in their own program earns zero on partners. While OW is more transparent with the earning being based on the marketing carrier instead of the operating carrier, they also have carriers that don't earn mileage (or full mileage) on lower class fares, including CX. So let's not pretend this issue of booking fares within an alliance that doesn't earn miles is specifically an SQ/UA issue or even a *A one.

milepig Feb 20, 2014 12:48 pm

It seems like with each passing day there are more partner tickets that earn fewer than full or no miles. The informed passenger knows to check booking codes carefully and to then crosscheck with the UA information. The booking code often doesn't show up (at least not clearly) on the booking engines. I tend to go to ITA to find the flights I'm looking for, and if the price matches I find that I can pretty much trust that the booking code listed on ITA is what will come through.

I once booked a LAX-NRT flight on SQ in business (Z class) that was too good to be true, (some sort of SQ web-only sale that hadn't turned up on any other booking site) and before I booked I actually called SQ to be sure that the fare would actually book into Z and that I'd get full miles on UA, which it was and I did. But I was only comfortable with the booking after I'd proactively checked.