Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Singapore airlines miles not posting into mileage plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore airlines miles not posting into mileage plus

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Stranded in an airport for six whole hours? The horror!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Stranded in an airport for six whole hours? The horror!
Not to mention waiting 5 hours for the bags. That's faster than any recovery time I've ever experienced, and I'd be praising SQ for this, not dinging them.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
When in doubt call MP back...could take multiple calls and agents but you might get lucky and receive the flight credit. Granted this is prior to the merger back in 2011 but flew on LX (ZRH-BOS) which was booked via a 3rd party travel agent and mapped into a non-mileage accruing class (K). Agent at MP was gracious enough to count the EQMs anyway after explaining the situation. It took three or four calls but worth the effort.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:16 pm
mid

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Sorry about your experience. However, you booking in a non-mileage earning fare class on a partner and your unfortunate delay/lost luggage scenario are unrelated. And honestly, having your luggage delayed sucks, but having it returned to you less than five hours later is actually pretty good. In the few times I've had my luggage delayed by anyone, I've never had it returned to me in less than about 15 hours.

On another note, if SQ had got you there on time and with your bags, would you be any less upset about the mileage part of this?

In general, I believe any SQ fare class that earns <100% in their own program earns zero on partners. While OW is more transparent with the earning being based on the marketing carrier instead of the operating carrier, they also have carriers that don't earn mileage (or full mileage) on lower class fares, including CX. So let's not pretend this issue of booking fares within an alliance that doesn't earn miles is specifically an SQ/UA issue or even a *A one.
I didn't have any awareness that their policy had changed. This was my first experience on SQ.

And to be honest with you, if my bags had arrived with me, if I had been placed in the seat upgrade that I paid for before they diverted me through LHR, if SQ had more people in FRA to rebook people instead of hand-writing tickets and making people stand on-line for four hours to get re-booked, I would probably be less angry. Disappointed, but less angry.

As it stands, the whole experience was sub-par. You don't get points for *almost* doing everything right. Even if you take away the fact they they flew an A380-800 from JFK with body-damage only to then decide that the plane was not flight-worthy for FRA-SIN, there were a lot of opportunities for them to handle this better.

All you 1K's/GS that are used to the airlines kissing your rear when the in-flight entertainment doesn't work would be well advised to keep your snickering comments to yourself. Those of us who by corporate policy MUST take the cheapest fare, in economy, for flights that take us to the other side of the world, don't enjoy traveling on the cheap. Your attitude reeks of "let them eat cake" entitlement.

Originally Posted by milepig
Not to mention waiting 5 hours for the bags. That's faster than any recovery time I've ever experienced, and I'd be praising SQ for this, not dinging them.
For brevity's sake I didn't recount the entire episode and all the problems I encountered.

If you think I'm the kind of person who complains endlessly about poor travel experiences, I'd encourage you to fly 100,000 miles in my seat. Check your privilege.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 20, 2014 at 1:45 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
I completed a trip on LH last week, in the receipt it says under "class" "Y". Still have not received credit for one of the flights. Trip completed 6 days ago. One of the flights were credited a day after, but the other not. Should I be concerned?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:08 pm

Hi,

I am about to book a round trip on SQ . their website is showing " Economy (H) Flexi Saver outbound trip and Economy (W) Flexi Saver return trip" are under the "cabin class" column.

Is the "cabin class" same as the Purchased fare class (United term) ? or ticket class? i called Singapore Airlines and one agent said the "cabin class" and fare class are the same and all the economy seat will have a boarind pass "Y". I need to make sure the agent was correct.

I will get PQM if it is the Purchased fare class.

Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by ballerinajz
Hi,

I am about to book a round trip on SQ . their website is showing " Economy (H) Flexi Saver outbound trip and Economy (W) Flexi Saver return trip" are under the "cabin class" column.

Is the "cabin class" same as the Purchased fare class (United term) ? or ticket class? i called Singapore Airlines and one agent said the "cabin class" and fare class are the same and all the economy seat will have a boarind pass "Y". I need to make sure the agent was correct.

Thanks.
Cabin class and purchase fare class are the same so you should get PQM at 100% if you credit to UA MP.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mid
I didn't have any awareness that their policy had changed. This was my first experience on SQ.

Your attitude reeks of "let them eat cake" entitlement.

If you think I'm the kind of person who complains endlessly about poor travel experiences,...
IMO, SQ is one of the best airlines in the world, particularly for their service. Based on your initial tragic experience, and the fact that you hardly ever complain "about poor travel experiences..." why would you fly them again?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ballerinajz
Hi,

I am about to book a round trip on SQ . their website is showing &quot; Economy (H) Flexi Saver outbound trip and Economy (W) Flexi Saver return trip&quot; are under the &quot;cabin class&quot; column.

Is the &quot;cabin class&quot; same as the Purchased fare class (United term) ? or ticket class? i called Singapore Airlines and one agent said the &quot;cabin class&quot; and fare class are the same and all the economy seat will have a boarind pass &quot;Y&quot;. I need to make sure the agent was correct.

Thanks.
SQ, IIRC, like most carriers, print Y in the boarding pass if you are sitting in the economy cabin. Doesn't matter the fare class.

As for earning miles, you'll have to check the new, post-March award charts with the fare class info you posted above, however, IME, anything in flexi saver (and flexi), their top two fare groups, earn 100% on UA, at least before March they did. In fact, believe that anything that earned 100% on SQ also did (again, before March), on UA (and other partners) and anything earning <100% on SQ earned 0 on UA.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
SQ, IIRC, like most carriers, print Y in the boarding pass if you are sitting in the economy cabin. Doesn't matter the fare class.

As for earning miles, you'll have to check the new, post-March award charts with the fare class info you posted above, however, IME, anything in flexi saver (and flexi), their top two fare groups, earn 100% on UA, at least before March they did. In fact, believe that anything that earned 100% on SQ also did (again, before March), on UA (and other partners) and anything earning <100% on SQ earned 0 on UA.
Correction - to most destinations in Asia Flexi Saver is H class and gives you 50% of flown miles on UA MP. Economy saver is Q class and gives you 0 miles on UA MP.

SQ fares are substantially higher than other carriers because of their perceived better quality. Absolute nonsense. You can get better food and a better variety on most budget carriers. You can get a lot more seat space for a lot less $ on most budget carriers. Even the timing / frequency is equivalent or better.
And then they are asking me to spend $100+ more to get 50% of flown miles. For what? An award ticket that has higher fuel surcharges than any budget airline fare ticket? They think we are all stupid.
Loyalty and mileage accrual are a thing of the past. There are better ways to spend your hard earned $, if you are still collecting miles you are wasting your (or someone else's) money.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by martinsin
Correction - to most destinations in Asia Flexi Saver is H class and gives you 50% of flown miles on UA MP. Economy saver is Q class and gives you 0 miles on UA MP.

SQ fares are substantially higher than other carriers because of their perceived better quality. Absolute nonsense. You can get better food and a better variety on most budget carriers. You can get a lot more seat space for a lot less $ on most budget carriers. Even the timing / frequency is equivalent or better.
And then they are asking me to spend $100+ more to get 50% of flown miles. For what? An award ticket that has higher fuel surcharges than any budget airline fare ticket? They think we are all stupid.
Loyalty and mileage accrual are a thing of the past. There are better ways to spend your hard earned $, if you are still collecting miles you are wasting your (or someone else's) money.
I'd love some examples. What BUDGET airline has better food more legroom and higher frequency for less money on the same routes flown by SQ??
Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by martinsin

If you read my post which you responded to, I did mention that I was referring to pre-March 1 earnings, and to check the new table. In fact, H did earn 100% prior to then. It still earns 100% PQM, and yes, 50% RDM. I'm not sure what "most destinations in Asia" refer to, but my experience was ex-India, and the flights I took in flexi saver booked into W, not H. Q has never earned mileage, and is not part of flexi saver, IIRC, its usually the highest fare class I've seen for purchase that doesn't earn mileage.

I'm going to go with milepig - which budget airline is better than SQ? If better, you only mean cheaper, sure, there are lots. Anything else, I'm not sure. The differences are not worth it. I'd rather pay a bit more for a better experience and get the lounge access, etc. that makes the trip more comfortable for me than pay less, have to pay fees for everything including bags and a can of coke. I understand there are folks where the budget carriers work and make sense, and that's great for them. I personally don't see them as a very good value proposition.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
I'd love some examples. What BUDGET airline has better food more legroom and higher frequency for less money on the same routes flown by SQ?? x 2
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I recently flew on SQ W fare, and received 50% RDM and 100% PQM in my UA account. This is consistent with the policy post March 1, 2015.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
I'd love some examples. What BUDGET airline has better food more legroom and higher frequency for less money on the same routes flown by SQ?? x 2
There really aren't any that any normal person would want to fly - in fact I have a hard time coming up with any Regional airline in that area I even feel safe on - which is why I pay - and others - more to fly on SQ and CX - I used to fly Garuda but all indonesian airlines scare me more now - and there are some decent carriers like dragon air - but I would never put them in the same league as SQ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.