Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Partner EQM award changes (UA quietly changed some partner Y/B fares 150%->100%)

Partner EQM award changes (UA quietly changed some partner Y/B fares 150%->100%)

Old Jan 3, 13, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by wdrg View Post
Does it matter that the rate was 150% at date of booking? Seems not quite fair to apply change to flights already booked.
Fair? no. They are "subject to change" and you get whatever they decide to give you at the time of the flight.

Originally Posted by edcho View Post
I'm surprised UA Insider hasn't said anything.
Not much for her to say, really. They reduced benefits with no notice and they've been caught. Any attempt to spin it will just be more fodder for the travel bloggers to mock them.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 3, 13 at 1:58 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 3, 13, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold

This happened to me in previous year with LH. I had already booked a ticket before UA changed the rule. I sent them a screenshot of the previous eqm and they credited me with the old mileage and eqm. Maybe an exception but try it.
Old Jan 3, 13, 3:01 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Partner PQM/PQS Update

Hi Everyone, I’m sorry we are late to post on this particular topic. Typically, we would have given you a heads up on a change like this, and I apologize for that.

This past week, on Jan. 1, we adjusted the Premier qualifying mile (PQM) and Premier qualifying segment (PQS) accrual percentages for certain premium cabin and full-fare economy class fares on select Star Alliance member carriers. Before going into the specifics of the change, I’d like to offer some background on it. In March 2012, when we migrated to a single system, we unintentionally increased PQM and PQS earnings for some of our partners to our former OnePass levels, instead of taking them to their intended MileagePlus levels.

While these higher earning levels remained in effect for the remainder of 2012, we are now reinstating the PQM/PQS earning rates for the following carriers and fare classes to 100% as of Jan. 1, 2013:
  • Air New Zealand (NZ): A, B, C, D, E, J, O, U,Y, Z
  • Asiana (OZ): A, B, C, D, F, J, Y, Z
  • Croatia Airlines (OU): A, B, C, D, F, Y, Z
  • Egyptair (MS): A, B, C, D, F, J, Y, Z
  • LOT (LO): A, C, D, P, Z
  • Singapore (SQ): A, C, D, F, J, P, R, S, Y, Z
  • South African (SA): B, C, D, H, J, K, M, Q, S, Y, Z
  • TAM (JJ): A, B, C, D, F, J , Y, Z
  • TAP (TP): B, C, D, J, Y, Z
  • THAI (TG): A, B, C, D, F, J, P, U, Y, Z
  • Turkish (TK): C, D
We realize that some of you booked flights on these partners prior to Jan. 1 and were expecting the higher PQM/PQS earnings. In this particular case, given the circumstances, we will honor the higher rates regardless of your travel date. There are a few complexities involved with posting miles at the higher rates, so please bear with us. Specifically, if you booked your ticket through United, we will proactively adjust amounts after their initial posting (typically within a few days of when the original flight is credited). However, if you booked through someone other than United (like another airline or travel agency), you will have to contact the MileagePlus Service Center after your miles have initially posted in order to make the adjustment.

Also, worth noting, there are still several Star Alliance partners which earn 150% PQM/PQS on select fares, including Copa (CM), Air Canada (AC), ANA (NH), Austrian (OS), Brussels (SN), Lufthansa (LH), SAS (SK), SWISS (LX) and US Airways (US).

Thanks for the opportunity to share these details. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines

Last edited by UA Insider; Jan 3, 13 at 4:03 pm Reason: added OZ to list of changes
Old Jan 3, 13, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi Everyone, Iím sorry we are late to post on this particular topic. Typically, we would have given you a heads up on a change like this, and I apologize for that.

This past week, on Jan. 1, we adjusted the Premier qualifying mile (PQM) and Premier qualifying segment (PQS) accrual percentages for certain premium cabin and full-fare economy class fares on select Star Alliance member carriers. Before going into the specifics of the change, Iíd like to offer some background on it. In March 2012, when we migrated to a single system, we unintentionally increased PQM and PQS earnings for some of our partners to our former OnePass levels, instead of taking them to their intended MileagePlus levels.

While these higher earning levels remained in effect for the remainder of 2012, we are now reinstating the PQM/PQS earning rates for the following carriers and fare classes to 100% as of Jan. 1, 2013:
  • Air New Zealand (NZ): A, B, C, D, E, J, O, U,Y, Z
  • Croatia Airlines (OU): A, B, C, D, F, Y, Z
  • Egyptair (MS): A, B, C, D, F, J, Y, Z
  • LOT (LO): A, C, D, P, Z
  • Singapore (SQ): A, C, D, F, J, P, R, S, Y, Z
  • South African (SA): B, C, D, H, J, K, M, Q, S, Y, Z
  • TAM (JJ): A, B, C, D, F, J , Y, Z
  • TAP (TP): B, C, D, J, Y, Z
  • THAI (TG): A, B, C, D, F, J, P, U, Y, Z
We realize that some of you booked flights on these partners prior to Jan. 1 and were expecting the higher PQM/PQS earnings. In this particular case, given the circumstances, we will honor the higher rates regardless of your travel date. There are a few complexities involved with posting miles at the higher rates, so please bear with us. Specifically, if you booked your ticket through United, we will proactively adjust amounts after their initial posting (typically within a few days of when the original flight is credited). However, if you booked through someone other than United (like another airline or travel agency), you will have to contact the MileagePlus Service Center after your miles have initially posted in order to make the adjustment.

Also, worth noting, there are still several Star Alliance partners which earn 150% PQM/PQS on select fares, including Copa (CM), Air Canada (AC), ANA (NH), Austrian (OS), Brussels (SN), Lufthansa (LH), SAS (SK), SWISS (LX) and US Airways (US).

Thanks for the opportunity to share these details. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Honoring the higher rates for those who already booked is a nice touch.

Sounds like a benefit from getting rid of some of the CO managers who started the war on elites.
Old Jan 3, 13, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu View Post
Honoring the higher rates for those who already booked is a nice touch.

Sounds like a benefit from getting rid of some of the CO managers who started the war on elites.
Ironically though the higher earning rates were from CO and instituted by those same managers. I value UA Insider's honesty, but I do question whether the CO rates really were instituted unintentionally for the first year.

From what I can tell the majority of the carriers which still have the higher earning rates are revenue sharing (i.e. NH, LH, AC, CM), so it does seem as though this is indeed a UA not a partner policy to keep flyers on flights that will actually bring UA more revenue.
Old Jan 3, 13, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Was TK Y/B really 100% (not 150%) before 2013?

Edit / answering my own question via Google cache: yup.

Last edited by mherdeg; Jan 3, 13 at 3:46 pm
Old Jan 3, 13, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by gradsflyer View Post
Ironically though the higher earning rates were from CO and instituted by those same managers. I value UA Insider's honesty, but I do question whether the CO rates really were instituted unintentionally for the first year.

From what I can tell the majority of the carriers which still have the higher earning rates are revenue sharing (i.e. NH, LH, AC, CM), so it does seem as though this is indeed a UA not a partner policy to keep flyers on flights that will actually bring UA more revenue.
I see your point about CO legacy policy, however, I bet that if this "change" were to have happened earlier in the year when the elite-hostile regime was at the helm, they would not have made the customer-friendly gesture of honoring tickets already booked. I think we can all recognize that UA is entitled to do whatever they want to do. But, treating us with some degree of respect and dignity in the process is something we should expect. And, in this instance, I feel that they've done so.

As for who instituted this change, I think we could go in circles with our logic trying to reverse engineer this. It doesn't seem like anyone on FT knows how these deals are done (I've never read a message claiming to articulate it, only read messages that describe various theories). My guess is that there is some economic discussion where UA tells the partner how much money they want for each PQM and for each RDM, then the partner decides how many of those PQMs and RDMs they are willing to pay for, and from this dialog, we end up with the resulting earning rates that UA gives to us. I'm not even clear, though, who pays whom. I'm guessing that when we (UA) fly on a partner, that the partner has to pay UA for the miles that UA gives us? If so, then it follows that UA sets the price, and the partner decides on the ratio they are willing to fund. Conversely, even at a given funding level, UA can still decide how many EQMs and RDMs they want to give. Hence, the logic keeps going in circles.

The carve out for NH and LH is no surprise because they have JV agreements so UA gets more revenue when we fly NH or LH, hence they need to demand a lower price from NH or LH since they're getting a return on the other side.

So, I'd guess this starts with UA putting a value on the RDMs and EQMs, setting a price, then the ratio is determined by the partner in response to the price that UA sets.

In reality, it's probably a lot more complex.
Old Jan 3, 13, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
They had a lot to change. I don't doubt at all that they simply frgot to adjust these partner earning rates when the systems were integrated. The systems in use after the merger were the CO systems, with the CO partner earning rates left intact. Don't forget that they had already aligned a large number of things in anticipation of the systems merger.
Old Jan 3, 13, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
However, if you booked through someone other than United (like another airline or travel agency), you will have to contact the MileagePlus Service Center after your miles have initially posted in order to make the adjustment.
Hi Shannon,

Thanks for the clarifying post. Hopefully this adjustment process with the MPSC won't be too difficult...

Cheers!
Old Jan 3, 13, 4:44 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
I was pretty surprised when the former CO rates remained. This was particularly generous for my corporate SQ fares (S or Y class), and NZ premium economy (AEUO).

Sad it see it go, but not terribly surprised.
Old Jan 3, 13, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis Pres
Last year I booked ORD-LHR-JNB-CPT RT for next month on United.com. The latter two segments are on SAA, and were advertised as 150% PQMs on S fares. So I'm getting over 27k PQMs on this one trip. I just checked, and the same 150% is being offered in September of this year. So why would they offer 150% on S fares, but not Y or B? Is there some advantage to United for *A travelers buy their tickets on United.com as opposed to SAA.com?
Old Jan 3, 13, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by bearwoody View Post
I just checked, and the same 150% is being offered in September of this year. So why would they offer 150% on S fares, but not Y or B? Is there some advantage to United for *A travelers buy their tickets on United.com as opposed to SAA.com?
If it displays as you claim, I'd be willing to bet n the cause being the UA web site not being updated with the new earning numbers.
Old Jan 3, 13, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
It makes sense for the airline, and who that hurts is Transatlantic and Transpacific business travelers who got J and F tickets and chose to fly Asian or European metal in non-codeshare situations.

So, in other words, you cannot have the best of both worlds and loyalty pays
(Exactly the same thing the same Asian and European partners do, btw )
Old Jan 3, 13, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE View Post
It makes sense for the airline, and who that hurts is Transatlantic and Transpacific business travelers who got J and F tickets and chose to fly Asian or European metal in non-codeshare situations.
Yep, but if they'd recognize LH (or other JV) for MM status, it'd at least make me feel better about not flying SQ B.

(If AA or DL ever partner EX EQM's, I don't think I'd see *A again...)
Old Jan 3, 13, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by rpcbind View Post
Yep, but if they'd recognize LH (or other JV) for MM status, it'd at least make me feel better about not flying SQ B.
Do they for sure? I last flew LH in 2011 in a (then) CO-originated ticket of many legs and I cannot remember whether that was the case, but for a fact, US flights do not count for MM status.

Search this Thread