Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Partner EQM award changes (UA quietly changed some partner Y/B fares 150%->100%)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Partner EQM award changes (UA quietly changed some partner Y/B fares 150%->100%)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Nevsky
Some advance notice would have been reasonable and fair.
+1. Advance is the key word here. To institue these changes on 1/1 and expect us to simply discover them on our own is rather unreasonable, IMHO.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
+1. Advance is the key word here. To institue these changes on 1/1 and expect us to simply discover them on our own is rather unreasonable, IMHO.
Agreed - at least she came on and told us about losing the ON benefit and gave us advance notice. This is just poor form.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Look at it this way. Now you can decide to credit all your *A miles to a different airline. At least it showed up on 1/2. Maybe I take my TG F flights and credit them elsewhere, instead of UA?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:11 pm

I was supposed to have quite a bit of 150% EQM in full fare of NH(Still 150%), TG(now 100%), and SQ(now 100%), but it's back to 100%? UAInsider should really come in and explain what's going on. This is flat-out unreasonable.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
I was supposed to have quite a bit of 150% EQM in full fare of NH(Still 150%), TG(now 100%), and SQ(now 100%), but it's back to 100%? UAInsider should really come in and explain what's going on. This is flat-out unreasonable.
Probably still trying to figure out how this can be viewed as a good move. Either that or something will hit at 8PM Friday as someone posted upthread.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Wow ...my March flight Thai F now only earns 100% pqm.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
why don't you just credit them to a program that values premium spend like SQ or LH?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by entropy
why don't you just credit them to a program that values premium spend like SQ or LH?

Why would pax want to credit a few flights to another program unless they're already vested to some extent?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

Advance notice would be appreciated! Now my TK business flight is out of fare based PQM.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AV and OZ are affected as well. I'm counting more than 70 fare class/carrier combinations so far which are reduced PQM earning:
  • Thai Airways: J, P, U, Y, Z, A, B, C, D, F
  • Singapore Air: R, S, Y, Z, A, C, D, F, J, P
  • TAP Air Portugal: B, C, D, J, Y, Z
  • TAM: A, C, D, F, J , Y, Z
  • LOT: A, B, C, D, P, Y, Z
  • Croatia Airlines: A, B, C, D, F, Y, Z
  • Air New Zealand: A, B, C, D, E, J, O, U,Y, Z
  • EgyptAir: A, B, C, D, F, J, Y, Z
  • South African Airways: J, C, D, Z, Y, B, M, H, K, S, Q
  • Avianca: C, D, J
  • Asiana: A, B, C, D, F, J, Y, Z

Ouch.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by entropy
This goes to, er., the topic of FFP fidelity. To all the FTers, especially us based in the US, no other FFPs are better than MP, specifically in this thread, so this is a huge blow to us who will definitely plan to credit the premium cabin miles to UA.

And this is exactly the opposite direction that UA is heading from what Mr. Smisek said - They will value customers who are in premium cabins more than any other carriers do. Now, such a sneaky change seems to tell us UA wants to force all the customers to purchase travel directly on UA, LH, NH, AC, or CA. First, no MM credit for partner airlines while AA/DL still have them; now, no bonus PQMs for premium cabin. If that's the case, they will only hurt the all the airlines who want to credit the miles towards UA, and maybe it will hurt all other FFPs as well.

Again, it's UA's decision, but all of us would appreciate the advanced notice of the mileage accrual chart so we can make adjustments to our plans accordingly. I can see how painful that is to keep calling MP to argue about the bonus PQMs especially all the travels were made before such change was made.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Jan 3, 2013 at 5:58 am
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
IMO this seems in line with United's recent push to "milk" the partner network. They seem so invested in the network mantra that they market and sell hard on the whole network (partners included) and then quickly try to funnel that business onto their metal. I don't know if that is sustainable beyond a year or so. Could be for many partners but doubtful it is for all.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am not complaining the reduced PQMs on partners's premier fares, but the manner UA implemented this change is a really customer services practices.

Now, my plan travel on TG and TK will be reconsidered and my frequent travels on SQ won't earn anything more than the basic PQMs. I understand miles earning practice is reciprocal, and not sure if this was UA initiated changes not to award equivalent PQMs to members of other *A partner FFP or other factors.

Regardless, UA should explain the changes to its members in advance.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
This is outrageous. Even F earns only 100% PQM on most Star partners now, rendering Mileage Plus pretty stingy compared to others. I agree that the lack of notice is very poor form, too, though hardly surprising. I have booked BOM-SIN-EWR in May to experience the SQ A340-500 before it goes the way of the dodo, and this will cost me nearly 6,000 EQM. (First-world problem, I know.)

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The real question is did UA change the benefit or was it the partners (probably in response to fees charged by UA). It has always been may understanding is the partners have the final decision of flight mileage although UA can influence it strongly per the deals they make with the partners.
I wonder about this. Different programs give different earning rates for the same partners' classes in some cases, so this might suggest that it's up to the program, not the partner, but I would be curious.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Indeed, this is a major change that should have been communicated in advance.

Perhaps my memory isn't correct, but aren't there also some changes to economy fares on NH that now earn 100% PQMs that before earned less (e.g., 70%)? http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=299

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.