Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Abnormal MP Account Balances After 1/1/2013?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Abnormal MP Account Balances After 1/1/2013?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Flew 12/31 mine jumped about 10K this afternoon
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:00 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
My account currently shows about 19.7K more RDM than I should have. And "Show All Activity" shows about 40K more than that... but it's not internally consistent.

I tend to concur with previous posters' guess that the computer has incorrectly recalculated bonus miles from flights throughout 2012 using my current status. Since I was Plat (75% bonus) throughout 2012, flew about 100K miles, and am now 1K (100% bonus), the 20K difference is about right (some of my EQM are COS bonus and credit card spend).

If that explanation is true, then everyone who kept the same status throughout 2012 and now (i.e., perennial 1Ks) should see no change. Any data points contradicting that?

And, sadly... 100% odds that this gets fixed and the miles go away. I'm crying inside...

P.S. I did fly on 12/30, FWIW...
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by AGSF
maybe for people who flew in the last couple days of 2012?
Could be relevant. I flew 12/29 (on US) and the miles didn't post until after the new year.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: UA 1K , SPG Platinum , Hyatt Diamond , Marriot Gold , BW Diamond , Hertz PC
lol 401k for me
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: United, Delta, American
I have the same account balances as of yesterday too. It would be a pleasant surprise to have that bonus. Perhaps it is some sort of United credit card bonus?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by QBK
I tend to concur with previous posters' guess that the computer has incorrectly recalculated bonus miles from flights throughout 2012 using my current status. Since I was Plat (75% bonus) throughout 2012, flew about 100K miles, and am now 1K (100% bonus), the 20K difference is about right (some of my EQM are COS bonus and credit card spend).
oh that could be -- i'm up from Gold to Plat via a flight on 12/26, and i just noticed that the "bonus" column is blank for all flights that i took before i was Plat.

EDIT: also, everything before 3/3 is listed as a positive and negative number, effectively negating them out? (separate line items)

Last edited by jonk; Jan 3, 2013 at 8:52 am
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6 MM, AA EXP, SPG Gold, MARR Plat (Premier) Lifetime, Hertz Pres Circle
No love for me...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Starwood Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
30K extra miles for me as well. I remember United running a promotion a while back where you could earn up to 30K miles for flying so many times in a given time period. I'm wondering if these extra miles could be a result of that promo. I remember them crediting my account before and then taking the miles back because they credited them too soon. Any one else remember this?

It was called "Map my Dreams" and it ran back in July. Although it seems like they would have already credited my account with this miles by now...

Email I received from United this summer:
"We will update the "Map Your Dreams" mileage bonuses

Dear Chad Z___,

We routinely audit our flight offers to ensure they are accurately crediting bonus award miles. During a recent audit we discovered that our system had started to award bonuses for the "Map Your Dreams" offer prematurely and, in some cases, incorrectly.

To ensure that we credit accounts accurately, we removed the bonus miles that had been awarded so far. When the offer ends on July 15, 2012, we will validate all participating member accounts and award the correct number of miles by July 28, 2012. Please note that the final number of bonus miles credited to your account may be different from the number we removed. Also, only tickets purchased on or after April 15, 2012, are eligible for the offer. See full terms and conditions.

This update will not affect your base flight miles, Premier Qualifying Miles or Premier Qualifying Segments.

We apologize for this system error and any inconvenience it may cause. "

Last edited by hangingchad; Jan 3, 2013 at 11:08 am
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by hangingchad
30K extra miles for me as well. I remember United running a promotion a while back where you could earn up to 30K miles for flying so many times in a given time period. I'm wondering if these extra miles could be a result of that promo. I remember them crediting my account before and then taking the miles back because they credited them too soon. Any one else remember this?

It was called "Map my Dreams" and it ran back in July. Although it seems like they would have already credited my account with this miles by now...
Max MYD bonus was only 25K, so I think it's something else

Did your status increase between 2012 and 2013 ?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:33 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Posting error

Hi Everyone,

As some of you have noticed, and have assumed correctly, a glitch in our system ended up awarding some members bonus award miles that were not expected or earned. Specifically, the extra miles were incorrectly credited to members who earned a higher Premier status in the last part of 2012. In these instances, we applied the higher Premier bonus miles percentage for all flights in 2012, instead of applying it to just the flights that were taken after the higher status was reached. We’re working to correct this and we expect to complete the recalculations by early next week. As always, thanks for the feedback.

Shannon
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
So, what would happen if I spent those extra RDMs before the reconcilliation?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Specifically, the extra miles were incorrectly credited to members who earned a higher Premier status in the last part of 2012.
thanks for the update! (and good sleuthing to those who deduced this!)

(signed, your seatmate for all of 5 seconds on the SMD4 charter :P)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:10 pm

nothing for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.