Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expectations Low for SEA-NRT-BKK Flight on UA and Still Disappointed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold

Today I am making a flight which I do frequently SEA- NRT and on to BKK.

My expectations for service and food are very low so it is hard to not meet those meager expectations. But once again UA was able to do it.

I think 11 or 12 flight attendants most of whom were probably in their 60's and not a smile by any one of them during pre-boarding.

Some rough air after take off so first meal was delayed fo about 90 minutes. I never eat this meal so no difference to me.

Flight is 10 1/2 hours and meal was served about 90 minutes after departure which was fine. Now for the next 4 1/2 hours I never saw a flight attendant with water juice or anything. At the 6 hour mark they delivered a bag of chips. tiny cookie and tiny candy bar. Now having made this flight numerous times I kept waiting for the sandwich but the drink cart came and went and no sandwich.

I figured just another cost cutting measure by UA. At the 9 hour point they delivered a sandwich to everyone. Now you would expect if they are delivering food they might offer something to drink. Sorry no drink carts. Eat it dry or risk a scowl if you ask them to do any work.

30 minutes later they start serving a meal with drink cart following.

They just failed to deliver the sandwich with the snacks 3 hours before and figured oh well , just give to them before the meal. These passengers are so stupid they won't notice the difference.

Like I say my expectations are low and I was in the first row of economy so was able to watch the service in Business which did not appear to be much better.

This new year my tickets to Asia will all be Business Class and UA has no chance of getting my business. When I spend that kind of money I expect service and at least decent food and wine.

I will switch to ANA where the seating is better in business ( no climbing over people to go to lavatory) and the service, food and wine is eons better.

So wake up UA. There is a reason you always have 12-18 empty seats in Business. Your service sucks especially in Economy and not markedly better in BE.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 2, 2013 at 3:40 pm Reason: vague, non-specific thread title
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Is this flight still barcoloungers? The route makes sense for me for a lot of reasons, but I just hear the worst feedback because it's apparently where the barcoloungers refuse to die some huge % of the time.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:30 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by paulyras
Is this flight still barcoloungers? The route makes sense for me for a lot of reasons, but I just hear the worst feedback because it's apparently where the barcoloungers refuse to die some huge % of the time.
The times I have flown this route recently, it has the new config, and service in BF has been very good.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 2, 2013 at 3:27 pm Reason: fix html
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
IIRC SEA is the most senior crew base in the system and probably the highest average ago. They really bring that Newark hostility to the west coast.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
They actually served the Chips/Cookie/Candy? In my experience, they normally quietly go out in a bowl in an inconspicuous spot and become the crew snack!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I always thought the snack mid-flight was on request.

They usually have it setup in the galley, and you can always request anything you want to drink.

Same with the snack basket -- it's usually setup after the first meal, and self-service whenever you want something. The menu even makes such a notation.

It seems to be a good balance between not disturbing those who want to sleep, and those who want something.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by milepig
They actually served the Chips/Cookie/Candy? In my experience, they normally quietly go out in a bowl in an inconspicuous spot and become the crew snack!
Pretty sure it's set out for self-serve...not just for the crew, but passengers too
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by juniorsu
Pretty sure it's set out for self-serve...not just for the crew, but passengers too
Right - but the crew seems to have their hands in there everytime they pass by.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Is this flight still barcoloungers?
three out of six from 1/2-1/7 are old config
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
Right - but the crew seems to have their hands in there everytime they pass by.
Maybe they're just showing how delicious popchips are...because nobody else seems to like them!

Those mini clifbars on the other hand... ^
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
IIRC SEA is the most senior crew base in the system and probably the highest average ago. They really bring that Newark hostility to the west coast.
I fly this route a lot and always have a great experience with the FAs...some of the best crews IMO (ground staff and in the air).

Sorry for the OPs experience...I have never had that happen on this route.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by kapkap46
My expectations for service and food are very low so it is hard to not meet those meager expectations. But once again UA was able to do it.
Like the saying goes..........When all else fails....lower your standards
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:37 pm

I just got off the flight in the other direction, NRT to SEA. I'm assuming "barcoloungers" means the old business class seat - if so, that's what I had. It had the additional "automatic recline" feature - put any pressure on it, and within about 15 minutes, it would be fully reclined.

I think it would be an exaggeration to say the service was awful, but it definitely seemed like they didn't have their hearts in it.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
that doesn't sound so bad. especially in Y - you are paying to get there. not for service, food, etc. i'm surprised all food isn't BOB even international. if your biggest complaint is a sandwich served late, it's not so bad. if you want to fly ANA then go ahead. UA probably makes more money off of you anyway because it's a higher priced ticket and they revenue share?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
i fly sea/nrt often, and bkk a few times a year. nrt-bkk is usually still barcoloungers. in general, i have found the ua nrt/sea crew to be friendly and competent, and the flight is now usually lie-flat. ua cancelled an nrt-sea on us last month and put us on ana. ana is a very competitive product. i believe ana is a j/v partner, so you get full brownie points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.