Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2013]

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2013]

Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:48 pm
ml1

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
They are PQM's pure and simple. They can help you achieve any level status through 1K.
Exactly like a BIS PQM.
Thanks.
I know most of the TLAs, but can't find a master list. What is BIS?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by ml1
Thanks.
I know most of the TLAs, but can't find a master list. What is BIS?
Butt in Seat

BIS miles are miles actually flown on an aircraft...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:57 pm
ml1

Programs: UA GS
Butt in Seat

BIS miles are miles actually flown on an aircraft...
LOL. Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by repcool
I think I would personally take that deal. To get almost halfway to 1K. Getting 45000 PQM would otherwise cost me maybe $2000 but more importantly it would take days of flying!
How do you get 45k PQM for just $2000? Just some bargain MR to low-demand destinations?

I see that as 3, almost 4 TATL round-trips from the West Coast.

Can you explain how buying PQMs in January gets you 2 years of status?

Is this some January thing only?

Or is it that on reaching the threshold in one transaction, you get status for the rest of 2013 and also for 2014?

So you wouldn't need to accumulate PQMs until 2014, to get status for 2015?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 3, 2013 at 4:40 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by JetAway
A travel-savy colleague of mine has decided to start burning through his bazillion MP RDMs and not spend a cent with UA this year (he is 1K for the year). Next January he'll "buy status" through the Accelerator and have it for the next two years.
I'm thinking the same thing. The main benefit to MP for me was good availability of Saver GF awards. Since UA announced they were reducing availability of Saver GF space, I've decided to just burn through my miles this year and not pay anything for tickets. If I decide to stick with UA (unlikely given their current attitude toward MP benefits for high level elites), I'll just "buy" two years worth of status at the beginning of 2014. More likely though, I'll be headed over to AA.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
This is tempting. I'm seeing 11.4 cpm all-in for 15,000 RDM/PQM on both of my existing reservations (cost - $1,700 per trip).

Here's a question for those of you who track this: In the past, have the prices gradually dropped over the course of the year, bottomed out, and then began a slow rise, accelerating at the end? Or did they tend to fluctuate up and down over the course of the year?

The answer to this question may influence my purchase behavior (and perhaps the behavior of others). And yes, I recognize that past performance is no guarantee of what may happen this year. Just looking for a few data points...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by sakaike
This is tempting. I'm seeing 11.4 cpm all-in for 15,000 RDM/PQM on both of my existing reservations (cost - $1,700 per trip).

Here's a question for those of you who track this: In the past, have the prices gradually dropped over the course of the year, bottomed out, and then began a slow rise, accelerating at the end? Or did they tend to fluctuate up and down over the course of the year?

The answer to this question may influence my purchase behavior (and perhaps the behavior of others). And yes, I recognize that past performance is no guarantee of what may happen this year. Just looking for a few data points...
Yes, it does fluctuate throughout the year. But, this program has only been around for a few years and there aren't a lot of good data points for what the new normal, "good deal" means with respect to this program. That said, I think the current price is high.

Back when it first rolled out at pmCO, the all-in cost of EQMs+RDMs was as low as 0.05 each. I don't think we'll ever see that again. Last year, I remember seeing .075.-.085 on a few occasions. If you need to buy a few miles I'd wait until that rate shows up (if ever)...it probably won't go much lower. BTW...some international itineraries will have the RDM priced lower, so that gives a total lower cost.

You'll always do much better on a good mileage run if you have the time and fortitude to do one.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA silver (soft landing from 1K), AA plat, HHonors gold, Ambassador club, DC
Originally Posted by JetAway
That's basically it, as I understand it. He has close to 3 million MP miles and is concerned that they will be seriously de-valued before he can use them. Spend nothing this year, spend roughly $5,000 to be 1K for each of the following two years. Hopefully, he will gift his GPUs to colleagues who can still use them.
This is a tongue in cheek post

I could see the bloggers run with this idea.

If you already are 1k and have a lot of UAMP miles, you could be 1k very cheaply. 100K EQM and RDM purchased at today's rate would be 10,600$ AI. Mr(s) 1K presumably has 6 GPU and 4 RPU and will get another set when he/she purchases status next year. Because you are flying on awards, instruments could be sold, if one was willing to take the risk (400$/gpu & 200$/rpu = 400$x12+200$x8=6400$), which would bring the cost down to 2100$/year [(10,600$-6400$)/2yrs]. The purchased RDM's also are worth something, say 1000$ if you value UA miles at a very conservative 1cpm, so take another 500$ off per year and now you're at 1600$/year. Consider the purchase price (10,600$) a tax deduction/business expense and if you're in a 31% bracket or above, it's free!

Of course, the value of 1K is much less if you dont buy UA tickets.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by TommyC80
Yes, it does fluctuate throughout the year. But, this program has only been around for a few years and there aren't a lot of good data points for what the new normal, "good deal" means with respect to this program. That said, I think the current price is high.

Back when it first rolled out at pmCO, the all-in cost of EQMs+RDMs was as low as 0.05 each. I don't think we'll ever see that again. Last year, I remember seeing .075.-.085 on a few occasions. If you need to buy a few miles I'd wait until that rate shows up (if ever)...it probably won't go much lower. BTW...some international itineraries will have the RDM priced lower, so that gives a total lower cost.

You'll always do much better on a good mileage run if you have the time and fortitude to do one.
I remember those days. It was tempting because the purchased miles also counted as lifetime miles. In theory, if you paid $200,000, you could've gotten lifetime GS now.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by mrydoc

If you already are 1k and have a lot of UAMP miles, you could be 1k very cheaply. 100K EQM and RDM purchased at today's rate would be 10,600$ AI. Mr(s) 1K presumably has 6 GPU and 4 RPU and will get another set when he/she purchases status next year. Because you are flying on awards, instruments could be sold, if one was willing to take the risk (400$/gpu & 200$/rpu = 400$x12+200$x8=6400$), which would bring the cost down to 2100$/year [(10,600$-6400$)/2yrs]. The purchased RDM's also are worth something, say 1000$ if you value UA miles at a very conservative 1cpm, so take another 500$ off per year and now you're at 1600$/year. Consider the purchase price (10,600$) a tax deduction/business expense and if you're in a 31% bracket or above, it's free!

Brilliant...

In my case, I could kayak this year to see if it is a strategy that I like.

If I don't like it and decide to stick with UA, I could then buy 2 years of 1K in Jan 2014.

I would only have to buy 95,000 PQM's, because with my MP Signature Visa I receive 5,000 PQM's for $5,000 of spend on UA.com as well.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Another data point.

My BKK-TPA offer:

30000 RDM = $630 (.021 cpm)
30000 PQM = $2550 (.085 cpm)
TOTAL R/P = $3180 (.106 cpm)

Last edited by TomA; Jan 3, 2013 at 9:09 pm
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by mrydoc

Yeah, but my number 1 reason for maintaining 1K is the GPUs. Unlike others I've never failed to clear on TPACS. (I am somewhat flexible and have lots of routing choices to/from TPA.)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by TomA
Yeah, but my number 1 reason for maintaining 1K is the GPUs. Unlike others I've never failed to clear on TPACS. (I am somewhat flexible and have lots of routing choices to/from TPA.)
You would still receive 6 GPU's...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:31 pm

You would still receive 6 GPU's...
But he's recommending that I sell them to make up a large part of the cost of this plan. I guess he's assuming that I would be traveling on C/F awards alone, but if that is the case, there is almost no benefit to being 1K:

I'm getting C/F anyway.
I'm not earning any bonus miles.
I get lounge access anyway.
I get priority checkin and seating anyway.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yesterday i was 15 cpm for PQMs, day it is 8.5 cpm -- still almost 11 cpm AI. Dropping faster after the new year than 2012.
I have an existing reservation - $2,226 for 21,000 miles = 10.6 CPM for PQM.

This seems to be the point where it could be almost worth doing, except that I don't understand the benefit of 1K anymore. I'm still watching 2 GPUs expire in a few weeks because I can't get them to clear anywhere. This is my third try, all on CPU eligible flights. And, on this flight, if we don't clear before T-24, I'll have to call UA and have them put me on the formal do not upgrade list so I don't get split off from my companion.

Side note: Last time I did this check, my companion was on another PNR. She got a lower rate offer than me. Others have posted same thing - seems that non-status members almost always get cheaper offers. In this instance we are both on same PNR, and we both get same price offer. Seems they're trying to be clever about hiding the discount given to non-status members.

So, what's the point of paying more to get 1K?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.