Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thanks United - Positive Experiences in the air and on the ground 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks United - Positive Experiences in the air and on the ground 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Go buy a lottery ticket!

Just kidding. They have definitely been better lately.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by repcool
One of them even used the aviation phonetic alphabet.
I wish that all call centers required their staff to know the aviation phonetic alphabet. Would make life much better, that's bravo echo tango tango echo romeo.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by jjclancy
I'll wager it was Cape Air that noticed that you were connecting (with little time to spare) and called your arriving gate.
nope, I spoke to a Cape Air agent a couple of days later, and she said that United does that on there own.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
How is United the only airline that hasn't failed me today?

Hey everybody -

Long time lurker, first time poster.

So check this out. I was supposed to fly UA from SFO to ORD today and then connect on MQ on to YKF. I know, crazy tiny airport. Two flights a day from the states. I get a call from American this morning saying the ORD-YKF segment is canceled and they've rebooked me on tomorrow's flight, way too late. Thanks, Winter Storm Luna.

I get to SFO and ask the customer service representative at the United Club if she can put me on a direct flight to YYZ, whence I'll drive. She's ridiculously helpful and gets me on the AC flight leaving in about an hour and a half. Couldn't have been nicer.

Walk all the way to AC check-in (it's at the other end of SFO) and they just look at me and say "we've been waiting for you but you're too late, the flight is closed!" This is 61 minutes before departure, so I suppose you'd have a point if you're combining strict enforcement of the rules with rounding in the wrong direction. They put me on the next AC flight, four hours later.

So here I sit in the Delta Sky Club (AC contracts with Delta at SFO? Who knew?) waiting for four hours. Is there anything I could have/should have done differently?

Last edited by puls; Jan 27, 2013 at 2:47 pm
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by puls
Walk all the way to AC check-in (it's at the other end of SFO) and they just look at me and say "we've been waiting for you but you're too late, the flight is closed!" This is 61 minutes before departure, so I suppose you'd have a point if you're combining strict enforcement of the rules with rounding in the wrong direction.

Is there anything I could have/should have done differently?
You could have run Forrest Gump style all the way to AC check-in...

It sounds like you recovered relatively well. The United Club agents can be invaluable during IRROPS.

SunLover
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Online checkin instead of waiting to walk to the AC desk.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by puls
So check this out. I was supposed to fly UA from SFO to ORD today and then connect on MQ on to YQF. I know, crazy tiny airport. Two flights a day from the states. I get a call from American this morning saying the ORD-YQF segment is canceled and they've rebooked me on tomorrow's flight, way too late. Thanks, Winter Storm Luna.

I get to SFO and ask the customer service representative at the United Club if she can put me on a direct flight to YYZ, whence I'll drive. She's ridiculously helpful and gets me on the AC flight leaving in about an hour and a half. Couldn't have been nicer.
I assume you meant YKF (Kitchener-Waterloo) and not YQF (Red Deer, Alberta).
YQF would be a very long drive from YYZ.
BTW, welcome to FT!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
The Captain* on UA380 LAX-EWR yesterday (1/26) shook hands with, and said "thank you for flying United", to all the pax in First ^

*and he had Ch9 on as well
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:39 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I can't say have pleasant encounters on the ground or in the air, but I'd like to commend their award booking system for its ease of use (well, at least until I disappear from the 1K world in a few days...). Twice I booked long-haul, multi-segment *partner tickets same-day, and both times I had no issues checking-in. Well to nitpick, NH couldn't issue me a UA boarding pass at NRT, but the "retort" was getting that boarding pass handed to me upon deplaning in ORD. Why couldn't NH issue it?

The only consistent problem I face with booking on my smart device is not being able to enter the year when putting in credit card info (thus not completing the booking). That's quite frustrating, particularly when there are no computers/internet cafes nearby. Must be a glitch that could be easily attended to.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
...I'd like to commend their award booking system for its ease of use (well, at least until I disappear from the 1K world in a few days...). Twice I booked long-haul, multi-segment *partner tickets same-day, and both times I had no issues checking-in.
+1
Flying UA may not be the best, but booking award travel is much easier than on AA.com. Fast ticketing, no issues checking on partners, partner PNRs listed on the UA PNR. And we get the added excitement of LH phantom inventory.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Hats off to YYC Station

I just had a great experience at YYC and I wanted to share it and get some thoughts...

I was booked tonight YYC-SFO-LAX. The YYC-SFO bird was coming in from ORD and it is chronically delayed. I showed up on time and went to the United counter to ask for a gate pass to go to the AC lounge in the domestic section. The agent looked at my reservation and said they didn't suspect the flight would even leave for SFO tonight, let alone me make my connection. I wound up getting booked first thing tomorrow morning on AC nonstop to LAX. They also gave me a hotel here in Calgary and two meal vouchers.

What I'm most impressed by is that they booked me in F (or I guess I should say J) to LAX tomorrow. I had cleared F on both of my segments, but by way of UDU. Is this something standard I should always expect? This is the fourth flight I've ever taken as a 1K and I've got to say, I'm impressed.

As I said before, (cowboy) Hats off to YYC.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
What I'm most impressed by is that they booked me in F (or I guess I should say J) to LAX tomorrow. I had cleared F on both of my segments, but by way of UDU. Is this something standard I should always expect? This is the fourth flight I've ever taken as a 1K and I've got to say, I'm impressed.
No you shouldn't expect it, starting with tomorrow morning.

What was your original fare code? Because if it wasn't at least an M prepare to sit in the back of the AC plane (and even then, AC might want a B or Y).

UA doesn't have the power to give away another airline's premium cabin for nothing.

We've seen reports of UA attempting to reaccomdate an irrops pax on partner airlines in premium cabins, such as LH, and LH denies the upgrade. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...sa-denied.html

The exception would be if UA gave you the ticket on AC out of UA's code share inventory. In which case, UA isnt trying to give away an F seat for nothing; it comes out of UA's bottom line. But it seems unlikely there would be seats left in that inventory.

As I said before, (cowboy) Hats off to YYC.
S/cowboy hats/white cowboy hats/. This is YYC after all.

Last edited by mre5765; Jan 28, 2013 at 7:09 am
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k
unlikely upgrade after sleepless red-eye

On Friday, I arrived in SFO from OGG after a sleepless red-eye. I'd booked my flights the day before, so my next flight, SFO-JFK, had me in a middle seat way in the back. I hadn't slept at all and wasn't looking forward to being in the middle. I had asked the gate agents on Maui to move me to a window or aisle, but they said nothing was available.

When I arrived at the SFO gate, I walked up to gate desk to ask about upgrades (when I checked on Maui, there was 1 seat unbooked and I was NOT at the top of the list). The agent said that the upgrade didn't look likely, but then he handed me an already printed out boarding pass for a bulkhead aisle seat.

Sitting on the plane, I was grateful for the new seat, ready for some sleep, and talking with the cute passenger to my left. And then! the same gate agent came aboard and handed me a new boarding pass in Business.

I didn't get to continue talking with my row-mate, but I did get some much needed sleep in the comfy seat and an equally appreciated meal.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Accidentally posted this in the 2012 thread the other day. I was very (pleasantly) surprised to receive this card from the GA in MSP on my birthday recently. ^

Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Originally Posted by mre5765
No you shouldn't expect it, starting with tomorrow morning.

What was your original fare code? Because if it wasn't at least an M prepare to sit in the back of the AC plane (and even then, AC might want a B or Y).

UA doesn't have the power to give away another airline's premium cabin for nothing.

We've seen reports of UA attempting to reaccomdate an irrops pax on partner airlines in premium cabins, such as LH, and LH denies the upgrade. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...sa-denied.html

The exception would be if UA gave you the ticket on AC out of UA's code share inventory. In which case, UA isnt trying to give away an F seat for nothing; it comes out of UA's bottom line. But it seems unlikely there would be seats left in that inventory.

S/cowboy hats/white cowboy hats/. This is YYC after all.
To report back, everything went smoothly in J this morning, so my hats is still indeed off to YYC. However, I was less than impressed with the AC J product. I guess the AVOD was OK, but nothing at all spectacular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.