Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2013 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Wow - I guess this is what happens with no management oversight and a crew that does not care.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
SFO-DEN
UA1520
"Snack"
This really sounds like a bad crew. Nuts are supposed to be served with the drinks, not on the tray with the meal. The soup is supposed to be offered when the meal orders are taken, as in "would you like the XYZ soup with your burger/salad?" I guess if nobody is offered the soup then nobody will choose it, and it won't have to be dished up, saving at least three minutes of the flight attendant's time

I hope you at least had a cookie!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL DM
Does EWR-ORD get a meal just like LGA-ORD or is it only LGA?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GrizNation
You will get "some food", but it's not really "a meal"

My advise is to get something from Balducci's to go as a supplement
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GrizNation
My flight on that route last week had a Lunch which was a choice of salad w/chicken (gone by row 2) or "hot beef wrap" (aka burrito, discussed further up in the thread). Same choices as a recent FLL-EWR Dinner flight. Cookies on both, though on the short ORD flight they were served on the tray with the meal.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 2:44 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You will get "some food", but it's not really "a meal"

My advise is to get something from Balducci's to go as a supplement
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
My flight on that route last week had a Lunch which was a choice of salad w/chicken (gone by row 2) or "hot beef wrap" (aka burrito, discussed further up in the thread). Same choices as a recent FLL-EWR Dinner flight. Cookies on both, though on the short ORD flight they were served on the tray with the meal.

Thank you! I also just realized I would be on an E170 so I'm probably not getting anything but a snack. Not a big deal since I will connecting to AMS in BF. I can resist!
Old Sep 15, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Flight/Route/Date: UA1482/BWI-DEN/Sep. 2, 2013
Aircraft/Tail/Seat: 737-800/N14228/2E
Departure Time/Duration: 6:46 p.m./3:59
Meal: Dinner

Same flight as reported in 1322 by flyerdude88; I enjoyed this meal as well and the young, energetic crew.

After a brief wait on the tarmac, drinks and warm nuts were served after takeoff. This flight was bumpy off and on, so the flight attendant served the wine in tall glasses, which are a bit steadier; they also "hold more," he said

Dinner was a choice between a steak or a pasta dish. I chose the former, but the pasta looked pretty good as well.

The "ceviche-style" shrimp appetizer. This is fine, but it just screams "cheap" with its tiny shrimp and small portion.

Salad with balsamic vinaigrette, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives and greens. Nice and crunchy.

The steak was very tender and not overcooked. Not quite medium-rare, but certainly not cooked past medium. Surprisingly good. Mashed potatoes, broccoli/carrots and gravy were the accompaniments, along with a roll/butter.

About an hour later, warm, oatmeal raisin cookies were served. They were piping hot. We arrived in Denver about 10 minutes early despite our ground delay and a diversion around the large thunderstorm that was the cause.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Had the hoisin beef on my SFO>IAD transcon yesterday. The funny part was that the FA must have thought it was French -- or he was trying to lend it an air of chic elegance -- because when he described it to everyone he pronounced it "hoissahn." I think half the cabin thought they'd be getting some kind of beef croissant.

It was tasty, but look at the tiny size of that portion. The whole meal -- especially the salad -- had a hospital cafeteria feel.

Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Had the hoisin beef on my SFO>IAD transcon yesterday. The funny part was that the FA must have thought it was French -- or he was trying to lend it an air of chic elegance -- because when he described it to everyone he pronounced it "hoissahn." I think half the cabin thought they'd be getting some kind of beef croissant.

It was tasty, but look at the tiny size of that portion. The whole meal -- especially the salad -- had a hospital cafeteria feel.
Never been to a Mayo Hospital then...

I agree that the portion size is too small for the length of flight
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Flight/Route/Date: UA790/SFO-IAH/Sept. 9, 2013
Aircraft/Seat: 757-200/2E
Departure Time/Duration: 7:29AM/3:26
Meal: Breakfast

Cheese omelet and cereal were offered. The cheese omelet was ok. The sausage was very dry. I should have picked the cereal instead.

Flight/Route/Date: UA1727/EWR-SFO/Sept. 15, 2013
Aircraft/Seat: 737-900/2B
Departure Time/Duration: 10:01AM/5:37
Meal: Lunch

Menu

Orange juice and warm nuts to start off. The nuts could have been a lot warmer.

Appetizer and greens

I picked the ravioli since I figured the beef and chicken would probably be dry and bland. It wasn't too bad and it was also a nice portion. I wasn't able to finish it.

Ice cream with walnuts to finish. They didn't have any cherries.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Unhappy

I recently flew EWR-MCO in United First. They served a PDB and after take-off, packaged pretzels. Prior to the snack service, they offered a drink -- but they never gave the can or bottle of whatever you ordered.

Snack was some type of crumbled cheese which took up 1/2 the plate, a few artichoke hearts, two tomato slices,an olive, and a few pieces of cucumber. It shared the plate with what I assume was couscous. There was also a side of hummus and a bag of pita chips. It was not my ideal snack, but I guess someone likes it.

There was no second beverage offered!
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
Quick ?: As I was considering departing DCA instead of IAD headed to ORD in 2 weeks, I see during mealtimes on the mainline flights DCA-ORD are listing Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner. Is this accurate? How recently did they go back to this? If accurate nice to see they're matching AA who never dropped meals like UA did what, 4-5 years ago was it?
Answering my own ? here: After taking a "Dinner" coded DCA-ORD flight last week, there was definitely no dinner The FA thought she would be serving dinner according to her employee app but nothing was loaded. Shocker.

I wrote Customer Relations telling them it was either mis-catered or mis-coded in the reservation system, with a reminder that AA serves hot meals on the route and received the pre-packaged "we're sorry" along with an ecert. While I appreciate the ecert, it is a shame and not surprising at all they couldn't enunciate what the reason was.

So, anybody flying F on the route, take a screenshot of your checkin on united.com showing the meal, save the screenshot, then send in a complaint. Maybe once they spend a couple grand in ecerts they'll fix the problem. Oy.

Then go back to flying AA with hot usually tasty meals on the route
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
Answering my own ? here: After taking a "Dinner" coded DCA-ORD flight last week, there was definitely no dinner The FA thought she would be serving dinner according to her employee app but nothing was loaded. Shocker.
UA used to serve meals on the DCA/IDA-ORD flights but stopped, even a snack would be nice. I was booked earlier this year on the same route, and at the time of booking it was coded as a snack, and about a month out, that was dropped.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:26 am

I think you've hit on one of UA's biggest catering shortcomings. You can try to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. But UA doesn't even try to make the silk purse. The plating and presentation of their meals is totally lacking in style or imagination. As you correctly note, it is very institutional. And I think the poor initial impression may cause many to perceive the meal to be worse than it actually is.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:52 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

This is probably one of the better-tasting on UA catering right now. There should have been ice cream service on this route, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.