Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2013 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339
Back in November UA added a 3-class 777 on this route and if you selected the correct days, you could enjoy it in both directions.

I'm on this r/t 4 times this month in C and noticed last week that there was no selection of dinner offerings on UA724. Everyone was given the beef, which I don't eat.
It's been that way for a few years now, hasn't it? Outside of p.s., everyone in Business on a 3-class domestic flight gets the same meal, no choices.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Back in November UA added a 3-class 777 on this route and if you selected the correct days, you could enjoy it in both directions.

I'm on this r/t 4 times this month in C and noticed last week that there was no selection of dinner offerings on UA724. Everyone was given the beef, which I don't eat. I asked the purser and she said the flight was miscatered. There was also no chocolate sauce for the sundaes...oh the horrors!

When the same thing happened on the breakfast flight UA663, only the eggs were offered, I started to smell a big fat lie. The next UA724 flight was only beef again! No chocolate sauce again! Miscatering? I don't think so.

I spoke to one of the regular FAs on the route and she confirmed it is not miscatering. As of this month on the 3-class it is eggs only in C for breakfast flights and beef only for lunch/dinner flights and no chocolate sauce! They plan to alternate between beef and chicken on the lunch/dinner menu.

Fortunately, they still offer limited special meals on this route, so if your upgrade clears in time and they load the meal you should be okay.

There are still choices and chocolate sauce in F.
Mathew explained it already but I'll throw my .02 in... C domestic has always had one entree, which I don't think should happen, if you have a three class bird, FC should get 3 choices, C should have two choices as well as Y, however, UA does not do this.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:04 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by CDKing
UA1001
EWR-SFO
12:36PM
737-900
January 12, 2013
Lunch

To Begin:

Chilled Appetizer

Fresh Seasonal Greens
Tomatoes, Kalamata olives, bell pepper, baby mozzarella and croutons with Balsamic Vinaigrette (tray had honey dijon)
Main Course
Tenderloin of Beef
Asiago broth, brown butter gnocchi and green asparagus
Spice-rubbed Breast of Chicken
Mustard barbeque sauce, steamed rice, mixed vegetables and pickled cabbage
Tri-color Ravioli
Cherry tomato sauce and herbed butternut squash with Parmesan cheese

To Finish
Dessert
Ice cream with your choice of toppings
Same exact menu on my ps flight #362 yesterday afternoon from JFK to LAX. Also thought food was fine...had the ravioli.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 22, 2013 at 4:32 am Reason: removed images from quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:36 am

...miscatered. There was also no chocolate sauce for the sundaes...oh the horrors!

... No chocolate sauce again! Miscatering? I don't think so. ...
That is just wrong.

Chocolate is a right, isn't it?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I had the same thing as you on my recent p.s. first flight. I love this chicken dish!

More Pictures
Couldn't complain... spicy, flavorful, and not too heavy ^

Is the identical menu on both the outbound and the return normal? Wasn't an issue for me (I was able to try two of the three entrees all in all), but I could see this becoming redundant for somebody flying p.s. on a regular basis. The red wine selection seemed to be the exception: Shiraz Westbound and a Malbec Eastbound - both of which were excellent.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 22, 2013 at 4:33 am
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Couldn't complain... spicy, flavorful, and not too heavy ^

Is the identical menu on both the outbound and the return normal? Wasn't an issue for me (I was able to try two of the three entrees all in all), but I could see this becoming redundant for somebody flying p.s. on a regular basis. The red wine selection seemed to be the exception: Shiraz Westbound and a Malbec Eastbound - both of which were excellent.
IME, usually menu is a bit different east/west. My flight had the Shiraz, which was good--I like it better than the Malbec (though as a general rule I prefer Malbec).
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Has anyone flown the 9:03 pm IAH to LAX in first class? Says snack but when I flew a late flight into SFO our snack was the typical UA lunch - salad or hot sandwich. What are they serving into LAX? If it really is the snack basket, it is hardly worth upgrading.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Hasn't three-cabin business on domestic flights had no meal choice for years (other than special meals)? Remember that experiment back in 2009-10 where only cold meals were served in C?
True - but 3-class HNL flights are relatively new and in many instances quite longer than a typical domestic midcon/transon. It's hard to believe that these flights - some of which are similar in length to transatlantics (DEN/IAH-HNL, for example) - don't even feature a meal choice in J. I think many of us were hoping for upgraded F catering (extra entree choice, better wine list, etc.), but instead it looks like J was just downgraded.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Karen2
Has anyone flown the 9:03 pm IAH to LAX in first class? Says snack but when I flew a late flight into SFO our snack was the typical UA lunch - salad or hot sandwich. What are they serving into LAX? If it really is the snack basket, it is hardly worth upgrading.
It'll be either a deli plate or the southwestern chicken snack. It's not just the snack basket.

My SFO-BOS redeye this past weekend was listed as 'refreshment' on my itinerary, but was a full snack with southwest chicken plate.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Are the transcon sundaes being cut? I flew IAD-SFO this past weekend, and no ice cream sundaes were offered - just a frozen dessert, raspberry sorbet inside a chocolate shell.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rch4u
Are the transcon sundaes being cut? I flew IAD-SFO this past weekend, and no ice cream sundaes were offered - just a frozen dessert, raspberry sorbet inside a chocolate shell.
Let's hope not. That would be a big step backward. (yet not surprising)
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Hopefully a catering mishap; I had the same thing on IAD-SEA back in November, but had the regular sundae on SEA- IAD. I was surprised to see the sundae on a flight catered as Lunch.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Choice Plat; US Airways CP
What are the meal expectations on my flight Thurs - SEA to DEN... It says Lunch in FC on 2 1/2 hr flight... I just want to make sure this is correct.

I only ask as I fly US Airways (Chairman) weekly and the meals are only served on flights "over" 3 hours.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Nutzz
What are the meal expectations on my flight Thurs - SEA to DEN... It says Lunch in FC on 2 1/2 hr flight... I just want to make sure this is correct.

I only ask as I fly US Airways (Chairman) weekly and the meals are only served on flights "over" 3 hours.
Salad with a protein (chicken or shrimp, generally).
or
A "wrap" - beef or chicken, or a "parmesan chicken sandwich" which is more like a big bread concoction with some cheese and chicken like product.

Soup
Fruit Cup
Cookie

Personally, the safer choice is the salad, but some people like the wraps.

What does US serve on flights under 3 hours in F?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
When did you fly?

I was on UA 1445 on Thursday night from IAD-SFO and only got the chocolate shelled strawberry ice cream. The service otherwise was excellent, but I was kinda hoping to try the sundae sometime.

No sundae IAD-PDX on Thanksgiving either, btw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.