Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2013 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

2013 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Old Oct 28, 13, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by haddon90 View Post
which is a joke in my opinion. UA is really just cutting costs any which way they can.
It's funny...PMUA was never as good IMO as PMCO (speaking of the 2009-2011 timeframe) when it came to food, but at least it wasn't too bad.

But the slop they're putting out these days (domestically, non TCON speaking) is borderline disgusting.
Old Oct 28, 13, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Platinum
the cheeseburger isn't bad, but i agree. a lot of their stuff is really bad.
Old Oct 30, 13, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS
Originally Posted by haddon90 View Post
the cheeseburger isn't bad, but i agree. a lot of their stuff is really bad.
Rather than investing to bring customers back, United is cutting cost to show better result. IMHO, this is clearly not a long term strategy.

I guess Wall Street is running United and JS is just a figure head.
Old Oct 30, 13, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS
On the cost cutting topic. Flight from YYC-DEN Friday morning (7:48am) is now listed as refreshments and not breakfast any longer. It's 898 miles and .bomb still lists any flight above 699 for a full meal.

Last edited by Plane-is-home; Oct 30, 13 at 6:13 pm
Old Oct 30, 13, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home View Post
On the cost cutting topic. Flight from YYC-DEN Friday morning (7:48am) is now listed as refreshments and not breakfast any longer.
interesting. SNA-DEN is still listed as "dinner." we'll see how long that lasts.
Old Oct 31, 13, 12:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
On the cost cutting topic. Flight from YYC-DEN Friday morning (7:48am) is now listed as refreshments and not breakfast any longer. It's 898 miles and .bomb still lists any flight above 699 for a full meal.
It's still showing "breakfast" under inflight amenities for this flight on Friday morning. I guess those flying on these meal-less flights in a few days will need to report back.
Old Oct 31, 13, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Platinum, Walk & Transit Scores 96
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
It's still showing "breakfast" under inflight amenities for this flight on Friday morning. I guess those flying on these meal-less flights in a few days will need to report back.
I'm seeing the same, and I'm reminded of this thread (which was prior to the latest cost cut) about mismatched meal coding between reservations and the booking engine: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-service.html

The SFO-YVR flight I mentioned still shows Refreshments in the reservation, but also still shows Breakfast in dummy bookings for various dates. As you noted, YYC-DEN also still shows Breakfast in the booking engine. It's tough to know what to expect or believe these days.
Old Oct 31, 13, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
Recent IAD-DEN flight: 10:05PM Departure. NO MEAL SERVICE! Just the snack basket. Are you KIDDING me, UA? This flight at least always used to feature a snack (like the deli plate or the other plated snack of the month. When did UA make this change? PATHETIC EXCUSE OF AN AIRLINE.
Old Oct 31, 13, 10:44 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B511 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Recent IAD-DEN flight: 10:05PM Departure. NO MEAL SERVICE! Just the snack basket. Are you KIDDING me, UA? This flight at least always used to feature a snack (like the deli plate or the other plated snack of the month. When did UA make this change? PATHETIC EXCUSE OF AN AIRLINE.
Its 10pm so your F fare is worth significantly less than if it was at 5pm. Pathetic indeed
Old Oct 31, 13, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Someone might try briefing the FAs on what the menu in BF is and what the wine offerings are. I admit the wines are barely drinkable but they often don't even know what they are pouring.
Old Oct 31, 13, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy View Post
I guess you didn't read that UA didn't meet the expected earnings this past quarter, I'm sure there will more CUTs coming... BTW, why serve the deli plate when you would have complained about how pathetic it is, as least now you get something better.
Old Oct 31, 13, 12:32 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi everyone,

Many of you have noticed this already, but effective Nov. 1, we are increasing the minimum flight length where we offer full meal service in North and Latin America leisure markets. Going forward, all flights 900 miles and above will have full meals at mealtimes, while flights between 220 and 899 miles will have warm scones at breakfast or a premium snack basket offered in the afternoon or evening. We do plan to have several 700-899 mile “carve-out” markets that retain full meal service at mealtimes. This is something we are indeed doing to offset rising costs and align ourselves with the marketplace.

These updates have started to flow throughout the system, but for the moment, they may display differently, depending on whether you are booking a new ticket or looking at your flight in My Reservations. We'll also take a look at areas where there appears to be a discrepancy in the meals displayed vs. offered.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Oct 31, 13, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
... This is something we are indeed doing to offset rising costs and align ourselves with the marketplace...
A "marketplace" that apparently does not include AA.
Old Oct 31, 13, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Platinum, Walk & Transit Scores 96
Thanks, Aaron, and I'm sorry this is the news you have to report. Would you be able to specify which are the "leisure" markets and which are the "carve-out" markets? And was it standard policy as UAPremierGuy experienced, to have no food plate whatsoever on IAD-DEN in the post-dinner hours?
Old Oct 31, 13, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Apparently that marketplace does not include AA.
or DL.

what does "leisure" market mean?

Search this Thread