Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2013 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by caseminole
Last time I flew the route, I paid $200 to upgrade to F specifically for the meal service, which ended up being non existent....
awful a lot to pay for an airline meal

United Flight 564, MCO-LAX departing at 7:16 PM, Nov 29 - the meal in F is listed as "SNACK"

United Flight 1134, MCO-LAX departing at 7:16 PM, Nov 11 - the meal in F is listed as "DINNER"
website is notorious for being wrong on meal types

Probably not relevant but first flight is sUA and second flight is sCO.

What are aircraft types?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
564, today, is an A320.

1134, today, is a 737.

I know we aren't supposed to know that there are 2 airlines here but I am guessing that previous United Aircraft and previous CO aircraft, are catered differently.

Or it could just be the equipment is catered differently.

I get the same ORD to CMH with beverage service, sometimes water only, sometimes no service, sometimes regular beverage service.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
awful a lot to pay for an airline meal

website is notorious for being wrong on meal types

Probably not relevant but first flight is sUA and second flight is sCO.

What are aircraft types?
Not sure what you mean sUA vs sCO ?

Flight 564 on 11/29 (F meal SNACK) is listed as an Airbus 320.

Flight 1134 on 11/11 (F meal DINNER) is listed as 737-800.

If this ends up the reason why there is no meal service on some and not on others, that is a CLEAR inconsistency on the F product on this route.

It also validates what I said about UAL Customer Service rep giving me the wrong answer as to the real reason.

The website then should have a note about the TYPE of aircraft you fly may change whether or not meal will be provided then!
Old Oct 21, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
....Last time I flew the route, I paid $200 to upgrade to F specifically for the meal service, which ended up being non existent...
You must've coughed up the $200 for other reasons, because $200 is a full meal with wine at a 5-star restaurant, plus tip for the valet.

Seems odd, though, on the catering. Different airplanes?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You must've coughed up the $200 for other reasons, because $200 is a full meal with wine at a 5-star restaurant, plus tip for the valet.

Seems odd, though, on the catering. Different airplanes?
well, you are right. It was for the legroom as well. But I figure a meal in F is worth "something" at least - I guess if you drink a few glasses of wine, you could even eat about $50 worth lol.

Looks like perhaps they are different aircraft, which is one of my complaints on the route then. It means they are offering different product NOT based on the rules posted on the website, but instead based on the aircraft type.

I dont think this is right to be honest.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:15 pm

well, you are right. It was for the legroom as well. But I figure a meal in F is worth "something" at least - I guess if you drink a few glasses of wine, you could even eat about $50 worth lol.

Looks like perhaps they are different aircraft, which is one of my complaints on the route then. It means they are offering different product NOT based on the rules posted on the website, but instead based on the aircraft type.

For $50, maybe a few bottles of wine will do that lol.

I don't think it is the aircraft type. At the end of August, I did EWR-LAS twice, both UA 1481, both 739. 1912 departure dinner, 1916 snack.

Is the meal cut-off time somewhere between 1912 and 1916? Hardly think so...

Being inconsistent is the only thing you can consistently expect from United.

Last edited by wanymayold; Oct 21, 2013 at 7:17 pm Reason: correction
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I fly MCO-LAX routinely.

Sometimes the flight departs as early as 7 PM, other times as late as 7:35 PM

United Flight 564, MCO-LAX departing at 7:16 PM, Nov 29 - the meal in F is listed as "SNACK"

United Flight 1134, MCO-LAX departing at 7:16 PM, Nov 11 - the meal in F is listed as "DINNER"
I use to fly this route on a regular basis and always had a meal on it, a poor one at that, Either chicken or Pasta, the meal was poor example of what UA served on a "transcon" flight. But of course the lovely snack basket was passed around a couple of time..

On non premium transcon routes the meals usually cost the airlines about $5-7 per person... The extra cost should go for the added convenience through the airport, but at MCO that doesn't happen since they do not have separate lanes for Elite/FC passengers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 21, 2013 at 11:39 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
SFO-DEN
UA 1515
737-800 BSI
3:10P-6:40P
October 21, 2013
Snack

Yawn... choice of shrimp salad or calzone (described as "chicken parmesan sandwich") with tomato/red pepper soup. Older and wiser, we declined meal service, having arrived at SFO 30 minutes early and enjoyed a real meal at Yankee Pier.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 22, 2013 at 9:35 am Reason: image
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
You had me there for a moment. I thought that picture was actually the UA F meal, and I was rather annoyed that I've been getting served stuff so much inferior to that

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 22, 2013 at 8:58 am Reason: removed quote
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Starman
Am I reading the website correctly? Midcon F with F meal service, like SFO-ORD, do not offer special meals?? It seems hidden way down on the meal page.....

Originally Posted by mhnadel
That has been the case for at least a few years and, sadly, is true for all of the U.S.-based legacy carriers as far as I know.
On flights where complimentary meal service is offered, both domestic and international, Delta still offers special meals in both cabins:

Delta special meals
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B511 Safari/9537.53)

I thought SFO/LAX-EWR had PS catering. No champagne.... just another "premium" experience on COdbaUA
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B511 Safari/9537.53)

I thought SFO/LAX-EWR had PS catering. No champagne.... just another "premium" experience on COdbaUA
I've noticed that EWR-LAX/SFO get sparkling wine catered, but only on morning flights since a mimosa is a featured cocktail on the breakfast menu. Actual p.s. flights ex-JFK have sparkling wine catered for all flights.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Originally Posted by demkr

I've noticed that EWR-LAX/SFO get sparkling wine catered, but only on morning flights since a mimosa is a featured cocktail on the breakfast menu. Actual p.s. flights ex-JFK have sparkling wine catered for all flights.
Not this morning and no menus.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
oh yay another cut!

This was passed onto me from someone in the know:

Warm scones and refreshment baskets will replace a meals/snacks on flights from 700-899 miles. Meals/snacks, depending on the departure time, will still be offered in the following markets: DEN to/from IAH/LAX and ORD to/ from BOS/DEN/EWR/LGA.

I would assume that any route from DEN to the west coast, and ORD to the east coast is going to be impacted other than the exceptions. Granted using the same logic DL doesn't seem to offer snacks/meals from SLC to the west coast and ATL to the east coast, but those hubs seem to be relatively closer. SLC-LAX is 590 wheras DEN-LAX is 862 miles.

Guess this is how UA is going to improve the bottom line after dismal 3Q earnings.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I would assume that any route from DEN to the west coast, and ORD to the east coast is going to be impacted other than the exceptions.
Example of an impacted route: DEN-RNO at just over 800 miles.
DEN-PDX or SEA or SFO are above 899 miles and should not be affected.
Other affected routes: DEN-SNA, DEN-SAN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.