Wiki Posts
Search

When Will PMCO planes get GlobalFirst?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2012, 4:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

When Will PMCO planes get GlobalFirst?

I am wondering when PMCOs 777s will get GlobalFirst?

I just had the pleasure of flying from SFO to NRT on a 747 in GlobalFirst and then onto BKK. Living in IAH for years I never had the chance to fly 3 class United planes. I thought Global First was so much nicer than PMCO BusinessFirst. After flying UA there is nothing First about PMCO. While it is a decent business class for a us airlines it should not contain the word First in my opinion after my recent flight on United.

The PMCO planes after a lot less privacy, a much smaller seat, horrible foot areas for taller people, and worse food. Also the UC is awful when on paid premium travel. The United crew was amazing from Sfo. They were attentive and the salmon with crab lumps was great!! The crew from nrt to BKK was not as good, but not bad.

I also loved that i did not have to climb over anyone or worry about someone else climbingover me. As some who flies united now I think GlobalFirst is great and having the international first lounge is also nice. United def. does premium travel well, something I think PMCO used to due well.

It seems PMCO lacks a decent premium product and now many PMUA routes lack it due to PMCO planes. I will avoid PMCO routes and planes now until they get a proper First Class.

When does the CEO of UA plan to put Global First on PMCO 777s to offer more GLobalFirst out of hubs?

Last edited by GlobalFlyer999; Dec 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm Reason: Title should be when wi
Old Dec 24, 2012, 5:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GlobalFlyer999
I am wondering when PMCOs 777s will get GlobalFirst? ...
there are no plans to add GF to sCO aircraft.

In other words, there are no plans to expand GF to more of the UA fleet.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...bal-first.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...bal-first.html (no phasing out is plan either- just stats quo)
Old Dec 24, 2012, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
GF is nice, but its not in the future cards of UA I'd bet. Also not up to par w foreign carriers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 24, 2012 at 11:25 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Dec 24, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
The question should be "When will UA remove GF from existing aircraft"

Sad fact.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by UAL4life

Sad fact.
Indeed. Some routes can support 3 cabins, but certainly not all.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by UAL4life

Sad fact.
Probably sooner than later (I.e. when they replace PMCO 788s with routes that currently have GF).

I just wish they would try to get GF up to the global competition. I'm sure there would be a bigger demand if they did some catching up IMO.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by edcho
I just wish they would try to get GF up to the global competition. I'm sure there would be a bigger demand if they did some catching up IMO.
LH & QF are cutting F capacity. I believe SQ is, too.

The demand really isn't there.

Originally Posted by GlobalFlyer999
...and worse food.
The food in GF and BF is identical, save for the soup in GF and hot appetizers instead of cold. And petit fours. The mains are identical.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
The prices of international F cabins on some of the global airlines are so expensive that I doubt that business model is sustainable to have dedicated F cabins on a LT basis. There are some niche carriers can offer F cabins to the wealthiest travellers and certain industries still provide F cabin perks for business travels, but they are few.

I recently flew several SQ flights and the F cabins were largely empty. UA GF passengers are mostly upgrades from BusinessFirst.....I am one of those frequent upgrades from C to F.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
I agree that global first is great! To Asia it is much better than any BF flight due to space and privacy. I am surprised no pmco 777s that go to Asia do not have the Global first product. Flights from Ewr to hong kong, India, Tokyo, are long and need Global First! I do not like the bins though on the 747s. They need updating. BusinessFirst is not a replacement for first class travel, especially to Asia!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:32 pm

Don't count on Global First to appear on any sCO international aircraft, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Global First was removed from the sUA fleet in the future, as it seems most airlines seems to be going the 2-cabin way.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I don't think GF will be added to any pmco birds. I don't think it will be removed from any PMUA birds.

I think we will see it all the 787s and A350s from the PMUA orders.

No GF to LHR, NRT, PEK, and FRA is non competitive. I would expect many GSes to either walk away or spread their spend around.

LH kept F on the 747-8, albeit moving it from the upper deck to lower which is a downgrade, yet uses this plane from FRA to India, which tends to be an easy same day upgrade to score. F keeps the HONs happy. UA will want to keep its GSes happy.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
I don't think GF will be added to any pmco birds. I don't think it will be removed from any PMUA birds.

I think we will see it all the 787s and A350s from the PMUA orders.

No GF to LHR, NRT, PEK, and FRA is non competitive. I would expect many GSes to either walk away or spread their spend around.
Any carrier known to order 787 with 3 cabins? Hard to believe UA (or any US carrier for that matter) would be the first.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Any carrier known to order 787 with 3 cabins? Hard to believe UA (or any US carrier for that matter) would be the first.
I doubt any 787-8s have been ordered with 3 or 3.5 cabins.

Note that PMUA ordered the 787-9 which has significantly more pax capacity.

The long haul version of the 787-9 (assuming UA ordered a short haul version as it didmwith the 767 and 777 which had domesitc F) would have been ordered with 3.5 cabins because that was UA's standard at the time. Surely the order can change, and it could have been changed. But UA needs to have something for LHR and NRT.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:20 pm

I think the recent transformation of ON to be only UG inventory is indication UA has finally realized the advantage of F as an edge to C.

Being able to UG C to F is a very big enhancement of the biz product. If this is indeed their vision we may see a change of philosophy.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
According to the now-departed Mark Bergsrud, the plan as of November 2012 was for ALL 787s (including sUA 787-9 orders) to be 2-cabin.

No plans for wholesale removal of F cabins, but don't expect more than the current fleet, and the numbers will fall as 747s/some 763ERs are retired over the next few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.