Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2013 MileagePlus Elite Status Granted Even Though Short of PQM/PQS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:09 am

My premier PQM in 2012 was around 49500, but found out couple days ago, my stauts was upgraded to GOLD!!!
Is this a courtesy from the airliner?
The only thing I've done is, transfer 50,000miles/pts from Chase Ultimate Rewards couple weeks ago.
If this transfer counted a s a PQM, I would've been a platinum..
What do you think?

by the way, before being upgraded to GOLD status, I purchased a round ticket from EWR to PVG for 2013 Feb.
At that time, I could not select Economy Plus for free, but now I can!!!
This is GREAT, thank you!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 26, 2012 at 2:04 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by kjay80
My premier PQM in 2012 was around 49500, but found out couple days ago, my stauts was upgraded to GOLD!!!
Is this a courtesy from the airliner?
Most likely. I was sitting at 49,6XX last week before my IAH-DTW R/T and when I checked in I was already credited Gold status.

Probably some formula they have worked out to determine (based on to-date spend, future tickets purchased, expected future spend, and actual miles/segments) whether or not it's worth their while to grant an early status late in the year.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Pat+
I hope your status sticks. Personally, I think that granting you 1K at this level of spend is a complete no brainer. Who cares if you flew less than 100,000 miles. Many 1Ks spend less than you do. Smart move from UA's part, if that's what it is.
I agree. I am probably a median 1K in terms of spend but it seems to me that this kind of comping is reasonable. I think that 1Ks would be a lot less concerned about comping or bumping up if upgrade %ages were still high.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
I'm at 58K PQM. No advance for me yet either.
I assume you're being facetious, right?

Originally Posted by MacDanny
I am currently 1k (and have been for 7 years running) but will end up with about 65k PQM this year. Stopped flying UA as much with the merger problems and took AA ExecPlat.

Will be interesting to see if I get a soft landing to Platinum. I did spend north of $15k on United this past year despite the low PQM.
I only earned about 66k EQM on about $18k spend (not including all those change fees). Also had about 8k points on AA, although that was out of necessity (frequent destination only served only by AA, with closest UA-served airport about a 2 hour drive). Had I been able to do UA for all those segments, I would've at least hoped for a bump back up to Plat. Such is life, I suppose.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Random data point: I had this happen on Continental with lowly Silver status. At the end of 2010, I was a few hundred miles short of silver. I booked a ticket to visit a friend, and when I checked in, I already had silver status. I was not a high spender. Several years back, I had this happen on American after writing a letter (I thought I was over the threshold but was a bit short, American wrote back granting status).

Maybe United is now adopting this practice?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pinks
... Maybe United is now adopting this practice?
nothing new about this -- all domestic programs have had some tendency to do this in past years, but when & who have always been a bit blackbox.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, AA Gold
I logged into my account the other day and saw I made 1K for the first time, despite only 86k PQM and 79 segments.

My total spend was $36k (all domestic flights on united metal). My global premier upgrade balance is still showing zero, so I'm guessing I won't be getting those unless they take a while to post. Does anyone know?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flyertalker24
I logged into my account the other day and saw I made 1K for the first time, despite only 86k PQM and 79 segments.

My total spend was $36k (all domestic flights on united metal). My global premier upgrade balance is still showing zero, so I'm guessing I won't be getting those unless they take a while to post. Does anyone know?
looks like spend got you there

concerning the posting time, typically a few days , can be less, can be more, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...u-deposit.html
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I assume you're being facetious, right?
A tad. It looked like people were starting to post shortcomings farther and farther away from just a couple hundred, so I thought I'd join in the party. All I can hope for is a soft landing based on pretty decent spend this year with a couple transcons in C and F and a whole bunch in Y and M, but not expecting one.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Flyertalker24

Based on a colleague's experience last year, I would expect that IF you are awarded GPUs they will appear in your account on or around 1/1/13.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 1:41 am

82K PQM and around $35-40K spend with close to half dollars and miles being international business class all on United metal. Noticed was advanced to 1K in the last week without the 6 SWU. Made GS once many years ago but not since, hoping for an additional bump to GS status in the coming weeks but not sure if this is realistic?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I'm just a little more than 400 miles shy of plat and still showing as gold. I've got one more flight on Dec. 31 that will put me over but it's TG booked and operated, so UA obviously doesn't know. Too bad, as it would have helped me out for being higher on the upgrade list for my 1/1 domestic segments and the TG ones obviously won't post by then.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by caiken
I travel only domestic, and always make my status on segments, not miles. I was very excited to pass 90 segments this year and get Platinum for the first time. Today when I logged in, it shows me as 1K now (??). Metrics:

MileagePlus Status Level: Premier 1K
Star Alliance Status: Gold
Year to Date Premier Miles: 69,264
Year to Date Premier Segments:
Edit: Total Spend: $33,804

The funnny thing is, the little progress bar does not show me making it all the way to 1K. Mistake? If so, a cruel one. Most of my travel is last-minute, full-fare (ex: $1,200 to PHL this past Wednesday).
I had the exact same thing happen, only flew 85K EQM, but they bumped me up to 1K last week, found out when I printed a boarding pass out. My company buys business class fares and I am sure it has been over $30K, 1x SFO-PEK, 2x SFO-LHR, 8x SFO-JFK. Still waiting on the GPUs to post... I hope this isn't a glitch!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Ex Plt, Hilton Gold
Not sure what the rules are for these "special" status upgrades, but under normal circumstances, the GPUs post immediately once you cross the threshold (true last year and this year). As far as I remember it used to be different with PMUA when they would get deposited at the end of the year.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:31 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
In the past United has advanced people to 1K-sans-SWU (what GPUs were then). This may not be a bug.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.