Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The 2013 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2013 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Who: I'm a consultant and real estate investor. I take pictures, hack at golf, play piano and drink.

When: Somewhere between DEN and BWI, snoozing in 2B (thanks to a CPU) sometime in October

How: Zero work travel this year, so I made 1K out of pocket visiting friends and exploring new places. With no kids and no mortgage, it seems justifiable.

Where: Destinations: Cape Town; Stavanger, Norway; Copenhagen; Malmo, Sweden; London; Lisbon; Fort Lauderdale (8x); Knoxville (3x); Chicago (2x); Port-of-Spain, Trinidad (2x); San Diego; Spokane; San Francisco

Airports: First year hitting all of UA's continental hubs. IAD EWR CLE ORD IAH DEN LAX SFO JNB CPT CPH SVG LHR LIS DCA CLD POS MIA FLL TYS GEG BWI

Why: Why not? With friends scattered all over the place I use it as an excuse to go visit them. Because I love getting on a plane and going somewhere; after three weeks on the ground I start to get the shakes. I like CPUs and GPUs and have been fairly fortunate using them so far. My partner gets to fly in biz/first, mostly on my miles. Short lines. Same-Day Change. New places to explore.

What: 30k+ PQM booked for Q1 of 2013. Trips to FLL, BKK, REP (Siem Reap, Cambodia), TYS and SAN already booked, also planning on more LHR/LIS and CPT as well as SFO, ORD, EZE, HNL, lots of FLL when it gets cold and maybe SVG again.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Who: I am a professor. In my free time (when I'm not traveling for fun), I sing.

When: In late November, I transferred 800 flexible premier miles to reach silver.

How: All work travel, except the small number of fpms.

Where: D.C (several trips), San Francisco, Albuquerque, Honolulu. Usually I have a vacation outside the U.S., but I didn't have time this year.

Why: I want Economy Plus seating. The PP credit card already gives me a free bag, the elite line, and early boarding. I also have the delusional hope that I might get an upgrade at some point, as I used to on Continental.

What: I already have 4 flights booked for next year, including a May vacation in Istanbul. I hope I can crawl to Gold.

Last edited by pinks; Dec 27, 2012 at 4:56 pm
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Who: I own a software company that develops custom apps for others & markets our own. iOS has changed my life. Outside that I like orchestral music, motorcycles, steam engines and philosophy. And I like to drink 2 glasses of wine in bed each night.
When: Sometime in May. I'll re-qualify 1K in May 2013 also.
How: 90% is for business between IAH & SGN/BKK/SIN and has been for 20+ years. It's sometimes 2 RTs per month. I'm very careful with my money (it is mine not some xp account) & will never hit GS. At least I hope not.
Where: IAH, SGN, BKK, PNH, KUL, SIN, VIE, FRA, LHR, CDG, ZRH, HKG, NRT
Why: Upgrades. I really like flying. My only responsibilities in the air are to eat, sleep, drink, read, watch movies, & make a pit stop here & there. My first TPAC trip was in Dec, '68. I knew then I wanted to fly often. But it's wearing then and I'll quit within the next few years.
What: Nothing will change. Jan~May '13 trips are already booked. IAH to SE Asia by various ways along with 2 trips to LHR to see the Kempton Great Engines & the National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Who: Well I'm proud to say I'm about to start a new job. I lost my last one (running an independent rental car company) due to financial cutbacks. On January 7th I start with the City of Durham as a 911 Operator. It's going to provide good money, benefits and will hopefully help me towards my eventual goals. Other than FT and travel I spend a lot of time with my family (I'm the oldest of 8) and I enjoy going to baseball games, hiking, road trips and anyplace I can make a lot of noise.

When: I didn't. Last year I had 3 UA VDBs and a bunch of customer service issues so I earned something like $2000 in vouchers. This year, 0 VDBs and one $200 voucher. I flew 20K EQMs and 32.5 EQS so I'm back to Silver. Still, I flew 99 segments on 12 airlines this year (vs 91 on 10 in 2011) so I'm happy.

How: As I like to tell people, I spend all my money on travel and food. Of my 99 segments, only 2 were for work (RDU-PHL-SWF which hardly counts). I was working three jobs and using the money to go a lot of fun places. Plus I cashed in a lot of miles this year, more than any year before.

Where:

- January: Portland, OR (FT DO)
- February: Phoenix, AZ
- March: Nashville, TN and Buffalo/New York, NY (FT DO)
- April: Miami, FL (Inaugural Miami Marlins baseball game) and Minneapolis, MN
- May: Atlanta, GA (Testing the new Intl Terminal), Baltimore, MD/Philadelphia, PA (more baseball games), Amtrak sleeper train trip from Baltimore to New Orleans, LA
- June: New York, NY (FT DO), Austin, TX
- July: Dayton, OH (Museum of the Air Force), San Francisco, CA, New York, NY
- August: Chicago, IL, New York, NY, Newburgh, NY (business trip)
- September: Santo Domingo, DR, New York, NY, Denver, CO, Phoenix, AZ
- October: Anchorage, AK
- November: Chicago, IL (FT DO), F9 GSO-MCO Inaugural Flight
- December: Phoenix, AZ (Bruce Springsteen Concert), New York, NY (FT DO), Amtrak sleeper train trip from Cary, NC to Miami, FL

Why: Travel is what's important to me, going new places, seeing new things, having experiences, enjoying FT events. Status makes all that possible and more enjoyable.

What: My new job is going to have crazy hours and I'm once again a law school applicant so there may be a slow down in travel this year. So far, only one trip for January booked. We'll see what this year holds!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
I've browsed these threads for years, but I had a talk with StoryTeller in the SFO RCC and I've made a 2013 Resolution (corny, I know) to participate more in the FT community and attend a FT DO.

Who - Systems engineer for a defense company.

When - June 2012 (SFO-HKG) and I finished the year at 205,570 due to some MR fares.

How - 100% MR in 2012. The lack of work flying is one reason I'm browsing the "Hire a FlyerTalker Thread"

Where - Lots of BOS-SFO-XXX-BOS day-trips (thank you VX & B6 for starting the fare wars), 2 x HKG, 2 x BKK, 2 x SIN, LHR, 2 x MUC, SJO, and numerous trips to PHX to visit family in 2012.

Why - RDM for family tickets, SWU's for family upgrades, CPU's, and just because I enjoy the journey (more than the destinations). And, with a nod to Seat 1A, I want to try to ride on each UA bird in the fleet.

What - Going to shoot for 1k in 2013, rather than 2k. Unless some work travel pops back up on the radar. I want to try to use my RDM's for me for once; the LH FCT will hopefully in my travel plans this year. Also, I'll be attending at least one FT DO this year.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Who: Management consultant working in M&A (org structure and functional integration or divestiture planning). Enjoy visiting friends in various cities, trying out new nightlife, and watching sporting events live or in a bar

When: December 21 on an A-fare LAX-SFO. Flew just over 200k bis this year but put a significant chunk on AA and DL

How: 100% domestic, 95% work. I spent most weeks in 2012 working in Atlanta, Dallas, NY, NJ, or Baltimore, in that order, occasionally bouncing between a couple of them in 1 week. Always went home or to visit a friend somewhere else on weekends, so, being west-coast based, the miles added up

Where: See above, was pretty repetitive Wanted to get in a vacation or two but it wasn't in the cards this year

Why: Upgrades and irrops handling. Everything else is nice but not too important to me. On most of my flights, I need to sleep (sunday redeyes) or work productively, so having the space and comfort to do both effectively is critical to my sanity and productivity, and maybe even health. I know many have seen their upgrade rates decline this year, but I wasn't one of them. Upgraded on 91% of all miles flown with UA in 2012, and that's almost entirely hub-hub at peak business times. RPUs, GPUs, and M-ups all helped quite a lot and I was thankful for them all

What: Being SFO-based, UA needs to remain my primary airline (as much as I've enjoyed flying AA lately). I cut 1K requalification a little too close this year, so in 2013 I'm going to push more flying to UA until I am certain my requalification is secure. Normal work flying should get me there by June or July. I think I will take a couple vacation trips, too -- probably Hawaii and maybe south America.

Last edited by greathustle; Jan 2, 2013 at 9:40 pm
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Who: A South Floridan calls DC home and currently stationed in Beijing. In addition to my day time job, I write photo trip reports in the Trip Report Forum as much as I could juggle my schedules between work and home.

When: 1K and GS were never in doubt in the past, and I did make 1K back in April. I am sweating on GS re-qualifications as I opted to do more RTW trips which cut down on my UA metal flyings.

How: I am an almost exclusive *A flyer. Unless there is irregular operations or lack of flight availability, I will fly *A as much as I can. Ended the year with over 350K EQMs. More NH flights in 2012 than in the past (at the expense of UA). Continue to fly LH and SQ regularly.

Where: PEK, PVG, SHA, SZX, HKG, KUL, SIN, TPE, NRT, SYD, CPT, JNB, MAD, LHR, FRA, PRA, MUC, STO, GVA, BRU, AMS, MIA, FLL, DCA, IAD, EWR, LGA, JFK, SFO, ORD. SEA, IAH

Why:A lot of work travels. Transpac and EU-Asia on long hauls. Intra-Asia and China-HK flights are the mid and short haul flights for business travels

What: I have anticipating a slow down in travel in the following year in each the past four years, but it never materialized. I guess I will do about the same BIS/EQM in 2013. In 2013, I will likely making 1K in the second week in March. Looking on the horizon, many same old places in my itinerary: London, NYC, DC, Florida, Singapore, Paris, etc. Thailand and Mauritius are the scheduled locations I am looking forward to visit.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: UA Gold
Who: I work in media.

When: Early December, with a HKG-YYZ flight I believe. Gold.

How: Primarily *A flyers, though I've done about half on non-*A. Almost try to avoid UA if I can, though the 50% mileage bonus sucks me in.

Where: Destinations: (from Hong Kong) Los Angeles, Texas, Chicago, Vancouver, Toronto, Singapore, Vietnam, China, France, England, New York.

Why: I lived in Hong Kong as an expat, so most of my vacation time is spent visiting family in the U.S. or boyfriend/other friends abroad. I do very little work travel, though I can if I want to (a lot of my time is spent working remotely). I !love! seeing new places and exploring, but just hasn't had the time to take a purely selfish trip in a while. I like status, but in the end its only a means to an end (or to the places I want to go).

What: Just finished a trip to L.A. Possibly planning a trip down to MEL, Australia next month. Would like to do Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Bolivia, England, Turkey, Jordan and more Canada this year at least since I will be based domestically again. (So much for attempting to slow down.) Speculating about changing to AA.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:07 am
Original Member

Location: Tyler, TX- Former Onepass Infinite Platinum +MM & CO * now UA-1K, Hyatt Diamond, ICH RA, Hilton HH Diamond VIP, Hertz Prez Circle, Clear Registered Traveler, BIG fan of Pre-Check
Who: Just finished my 1st anniversary in a new job. I'm involved in a startup inside a Fortune 100 big company. It's a lot like building an airplane in flight (which I thrive on). It started here in the States, but quickly picked up steam in Asia as well.

When: As a legacy CO Infinite (although I requal'd each year for top tier on my own anyway) and had I answered this a week ago, this would have been an dud question, however I found out this week that I qualified for GS, so that's pretty cool (I hope).

How: According to 4 Square, when I took off for the holidays on 12/21, I had checked in to airports for "45 consecutive weeks". That ended up meaning 121 segments & 147K PQM.

Where:

- January: SJC, AUS (x2), SEA, SFO, PHX
- February: PHX (x3), SFO, DFW, SAT
- March: PHX, SJC, SNA, SFO, MSY, DFW, ORD
- April: CLE, PIT, ORD (x2), MSP, SNA (x2), SAT (x2), IAD, BOS, PHL, SJC
- May: SAT, DEN, PHX (x2), LGA (x2), MSP, MCO
- June: MCO, BNA, YYZ, IAD, PHX (x4), TPA, LGA, BOS, SJC, ATL
- July: SAT (x2), PHX, LAX, NRT, TPE, PEK, SFO (x2), PHX, ORD
- August: SAN, SFO, IAD, SJC, AUS (x2), SEA, PHX (x2)
- September: PHX, SFO (x2), PVG, HKG
- October: SJC, DFW, AUS, SEA, PHX
- November: LGA, PHX (x2), LAX, DEN, AUS, YYZ
- December: BOS, BWI, AUS, SAT, EWR, CLE

Why: Traveled most of my adult life, but this was the most intense year. A couple of these were long weekends away to get to know my wife again and one semi-Spring Break with the kids, but the rest were all part of the job.

What: I see the frequency (and intensity) being lower in Year 2 of the startup, so hopefully we'll get it right in Asia and that will keep my at GS for next year.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
Who: Work for a large O&G company in Houston

When: Made *G late June

How: 80%+ for work. TPAC and TATL for site visits.

Where: SIN, HKG, NRT (in transit only), SGN, DME (in transit only), LHR, ABZ, DXB, SLC, OKC, CPR, RSW, ORD, DFW

Why: Wasn't planning to travel much but ended up traveling some and flying all kinds of airlines so I figured I better stick with one FFP so I have miles for family travel.

What: This year's travel plans look brutal, projecting 80-100k miles, but I think that is low ball. Should be over 50k PQM by the end of Feb due to a TPAC & South America (what do you call this?) & a TATL (currently) trips. So let me go ahead and up my projection by doubling to 160-200k.

I think I need a new job...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.