Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The 2013 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2013 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:44 pm

Who - I don't work!!! Now raising a second wife & soccer dad, for a 16 year old Thai kid.

When - 1K every year for the past 5 years around the middle of March (all now due to MR's & proud of it).

How - Been a 1K every year for about 17 years - previously qualified around end of Feb as a result of trips btw LAS & BKK (49 round trips in 4 years). 2 years (2008/2009) over 300K each year mostly riding on a whoopy cushion. Prior to that traveled all over the world spending my kids inheritance.

Where - Last 5 years --- LAS-BWI-LAS (same day-about 20 of em)

Why - Because I like to fly on airplanes and as an added incentive, I am about 350K away from 3MM's and lifetime 1K.

What - I plan on doing the same thing in 2014 as I have done every year for the past 5 and that is to get on the planes that I purchased tickets for in order to be among the 2nd group of passengers to arrive at our destination because I'm usually sitting in 2B.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Who: Enjoy travel, wine, skiing and the beach with my family
When: Just made Gold last night for the first time on my ORD to SMF flight
How: 90% of my travel is work related to my sales job. All BIS where within Continental US. I'm in the air a few times a month but split my travel between UA and WN for the west coast customers
Where: All over the US this year, added 4 more states to my goal of visiting all 50 (up to 37 now)
Why:I like E+ but really like status when weather, IRROPs etc... changes my original flight. I managed to get home last night thanks to a good gate agent and a little status help to push me past the kayakers trying to get home as well.
What: should make Gold again as CA to the East Coast is a common trip for me. Probably could make Platinum with some more creative routing but don't want to add to my already long travel days

SacFitz
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: 1K, UA 2 MM
Who: Retired CEO of a Botswana game reserve and prior to that Director of research for a large forest products company.
When: Because I'm 2MM and Platinum for life I play things pretty loosey-goosey. This year I did about 60k paid and one award ticket and would have done more but for the difficulty I experienced in using GPU's.
How: All travel is now leisure.
Where: Because we own part of a game reserve in Botswana we go there 1-3 times per year at 22k per crack. We spent about 10 years traveling the world and are now quite selective in filling our our bucket list.
Why: Because our travel is leisure we just think of what we want to do to escape the Seattle rain.
What: Because we are lifetime Platinum and have 1mm miles in our bank we have decided to burn a bunch in 2013, including to India for 6 weeks, Tanzania for a safari, and Brazil in January. After 2013 I will consider getting back to 1K, primarily through leisure travel with my wife. I might do, if necessary a mileage run or two sans spouse to make 1K as she would realize my 1K status w/o those MR's. A lot depends on the value I put on GPU's.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Who: Digital Strategist for a large PR & advertising agency based in Chicago

When: Summertime.

How: I went on an accidental milage run. SAN to EWR to ORD to FLL. Had two separate tickets, one for personal and one for business. Due to a flight cancellation and non-flexibility (I had to be in FLL), I had no choice but to take that route.

Where: HNL, EWR, LGA, FLL, CMH, SAN, AUS, SAV, ATL, OGG, DEN

Why: Father-in-law has 2.6 million miles. He's inspiring.

What: I want to go international...and lie-flat.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Who: Director of procurement for a multi-national wholesale distribution company

When: Achieved 1K this month

How: This year it was almost all mileage runs on my own dime and e-certs I picked up along the way

Where: Weekend UA metal NYC-west coast flights w/ same day turns

Why: Accumulate miles for my personal travel bank and one long haul F vacation trip per year

What: Already have 97,000 miles booked for 2013, and will achieve 1MM in April. Lifetime UC membership and *G status will put me in a good position to enjoy my retirement travels

SunLover
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1.4MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
Who: I'm an IT consultant. Love to hang out at bars, have some drinks, chit-chat and people-watch. Avid NFL fan.

When: Achieved 1MM status on Dec. 18th; 1K status will be on Dec. 23rd.

How: Primarily through work trips. But in 2012, business travel slowed. I expected not at all to reach 1K for 2013. The week of Dec. 3rd, I had 62K PQMs. I was already 1K in 2012, so I did the math, checked some flights and ended up doing a mileage run between LAX and the east coast (JFK and MCO). I never thought I'd do a mileage run, but I hate losing my 1K status, especially post-merger.

Where: EWR, JFK, YYZ, MCO, ORD, GUM, NRT, MNL, HNL, IAH, IAD.

Why: The upgrades to First/BusinessFirst.

What: Business travel should pick up this year but now that I have completed my first Mileage Run, I will do it again next year if I see that I'm coming up short for 1K status.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA silver (soft landing from 1K), AA plat, HHonors gold, Ambassador club, DC
Who: Physician

When:Plat: July, 1k hopefully tomorrow on SFO-LAS

How: work related conferences, personal travel, no mileage runs. I did buy accelerator EQM's (@0.10$ each), only to cover miles I flew, but cashed in award miles for.

Where: Domestic (LAS, MIA, DCA, BOS) and int"l (MXP, FRA, SYD)

Why: upgrades, irrops priority, awards.

What: Will try for Plat next year, also seriously considering AA match/challenge if they dont merge with USAir.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Who: PhD student studdying environment and development issues in Southwest China

When: Silver in early October, topped off my MP balance with 1k in Chase Choices miles for heavy travel in November

How: International and domestic UA and *A. I fly to professional conferences and for personal travel domestically and long haul TPAC and inter-Asia for work. Just moved to HNL this year so I used to fly TG non-stop out of LAX at least once a year since I was also working in Thailand and my work in China was based in KMG, just a short hop from BKK. Now I've seen a mix of UA to PEK/HKG and tried out the new CA 773ER earlier this year from PEK to LAX with work now also bringing me to PEK and HKG where colleagues are.

Where: HNL, SFO, PDX, LAX, SEA, ORD, DCA, PEK, HKG, KMG, BKK

Why: E+ (100% windows and aisles post 3/3), premiere access, bonuses, awards, better IRROPS treatment, etc. Also really enjoy travel and always look foward to my next trip.

What: Should easily make silver again next year and might try for gold as I may have more trips to Asia. May see myself flying out of UA/*A more though as HNL-KMG is not a good city pair and requires two stops in *A while Korean and HA can make it happen with one stop in ICN. If I need to make stops in PEK or HKG then maintaining status and *A flying won't take many hits. Began as a regular UA flyer without status several years before the merger and always found the service to be great. Mixed results post 3/3 but mostly still very happy and will stick with UA especially for all that *A offers in Asian carriers and options.

Last edited by gradsflyer; Dec 22, 2012 at 1:31 am
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: 1K on United; MARR = PLAT; HIL = DIA; Avis = First; NAT = Ex Elite
Who: Manufacturing Operations..... Die Hard OHIO STATE BUCKEYE FOOTBALL and BASKETBALL fan!!!

When: Weekly, via Segments.....
Was Platinum forever with CONTINENTAL.
Lost PLAT through merger, long story.
Gold for now on united
Silver on Delta.

Why: 96% work, 4% vacation/family

Where:
From CLE/CMH/CAK/DTW to:
(in order of most frequent):
OK, AR, PA, GA, WI, SoCAL, NV, KY, IL, NC, SC, AL, LA, TX, MA, WA, OR

Why:
Love travel for my job.
I want to make a difference in the company to help provide the safest most productive work environment imaginable for all employees. Help drive excellence throughout the company.
Also, every other Wednesday I receive an email that says to look at my Checking Acct on Friday and there should be a deposit. My family depends on me!!!

What:
Trying to hang with united as I am CLE based.
I find the united "cattle-herd" from CLE to ORD annoying 16 to 20 flights per day depending on what day it is.
Direct flights from CLE to wherever are disappearing daily
(ex: CLE to ATL CO was 5-7 daily; united now 2/day)
I miss the old CONTINENTAL days big-time.....trying to adjust....have tested the waters with DELTA, will use them as need.......so we'll see ....

GO BUCKS!!!!

Last edited by GoBucks27; Dec 21, 2012 at 6:43 pm
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Who: I Work in insurance with a small local company serving only the people of my state. I work in a call center so I'm chained to a desk. Not that the state of MA is big enough for an interstate airline.

When: I hit my goal on Alaska Airlines of MVPG level back in April. I moved most of my travel to UA this year due to AS limited routes out of BOS. I hit 1K back in July. I ended up making it to 150K on UA when I finished traveling in November.

How: Many of my trips are MR’s or extremely short vacations (try 36 hours in Bahrain and 48 hours in Hong Kong). Sure I could probably buy 1 or 2 trips a year in Business Class and never go on a MR but getting there is part of the fun. I get to travel 10x more using the earn and burn method. For some reason my travel seems to double every 2 years.

Where: PDX & SAN (too many times to count), BAH, HKG, YUM, LAX & ORD

Why: I love to travel. I think I love being in the air more than anything else. I really love flying long distances in premium cabins on awards for a fraction of what he revenue tickets would be.

What: I’m already booked to MVPG on AS by early May 2013 and I am booked to about 85K on UA through October 2013. I just can’t resist the sub 4 CPM Mileage run deals that keep coming up. It will be pretty east to get myself to 1K. I’m also doing a lot of mileage burning in 2013. I’m worried about devaluations and possible revenue based problems coming along.
Cities to visit in 2013: SAN (x10), PDX (x2), HKG (x2), SIN (x2), BKK, NRT, FRA & ORD
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Who: I work on the internets

When: Hit 1K back in September and then decided to give AA a whirl via the EXP match. Would rather walk than participate in a mileage run.

How: Mostly transcons out of NYC plus a few LHR, TLV and GVA's. Did GRU in paid F on AA. Plane was older than dirt.

Why: My company went from 40 people to 200 in 18 mos. We now have offices in 14 countries. Managed to avoid sitting in Y on every UA flight in 2012 and never missed a GPU. (I rarely fly on less than M-fares)

What: Already have 31K EQM booked in Q1 2013 on UA. I think they're as mediocre as it gets but miles and GPU easy to redeem. I think 3/3 was overrated and it didn't impact me in the least. Wish they would base status on spend as opposed to miles. They need to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Who: For my main job, I work as a Healthcare Consultant with a specialty in Electronic Medical Record implementation. I am a RN, spent many years in Critical Care, Trauma and as a Flight Nurse. When I’m not working or flying around the country, I like to hike and ride my motorcycles, been riding since I was 5 years. I have a nice collection of bikes; my newest bike is a 2013 BMW HP4, and my others bikes are Aprilia RS250GP1, BMW K1200RS, Suzuki GSXR-750 (86 and 2006) and a Harley VRSC Night Rod.

When: The last 5 years been 1K, the hard way, all domestic travel, however, after being insulated by GA in Seattle and the horrible attitude that many of the ground staff was giving to customers, I switched to US, I fly enough to make top tier without doing the crazy routing. I wanted to spend more time with my partner and things I like to do then spend them in an airplane. Yes, I flew UA this year, and did use my MP account; I will not make status for 2013 on UA. Without the crazy credit card turning, I currently have 600K miles on UA, have enough miles to enjoy some great travel, which we plan on doing for 2013, a trip to Europe on LH and a trip to Asia on SQ.

How: I flew two PS flights this year, and three PHX-ORD-PHX flights. The PS flights were last minute flights one in J and one in F (only seats available on flights.)

Where: San, LAX, SFO, SBA, PDX. SEA, YVR, ORD, IND, JFK, RDU, CLT, BNA, ATL, MCO, TPA, FLL, MIA, DFW, ABQ, DEN, TUL, LHR.

Why: The convenience of getting through the airport, the FC/Elite lines are shorter makes for a much better travel experience. Now on US, I love their fare structure, this year I was able to get some incredible FC fares. Example, PHX-JFK-PHX RT, in FC $600, on a new A321, PHX-MCO-PHX in FC RT $545, again brand new A321. It is nice not to play, will my UG clear game, so when booking these relatively cheap fares it is nice to know you have a FC seat.

What: I will lose my 1K status with UA, I made Chairman Preferred on US, I flew some AA/BA this year and will maintain PLT on AA.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 3:50 am

Who: I work as a software consultant/program manager for a SF-based software start-up...

When: Re-qualified UA 1K in April, matched and re-qualified EXP (by earning 100K EQMs in 2 months) in June, bumped to US GS just yesterday...

How: No mileage runs (although I'm not averse), 90% business, 10% personal, mostly commuting from SFO - EWR - SFO each week with some international travel, 250K+ EQMs on United, >100K EQMs elsewhere, ~300K BIS miles

Where: SFO/ORD/PHL/EWR/JFK/BDL/IAH/YVR/YUL/CDG/LHR/PVG/PEK/SEA/LAX/SAN/GLA/ICN/PHX/LAS/...

Why: Status is useful, although less than previously. I do it because it just makes sense based on the requirements of my job.

What: I'll likely do another ~250K work miles in 2013 (70K EQMs booked for the first 6 weeks, more international, less EWR commutes). Personal trips to Thailand and the UK with the family planned too...
Old Dec 22, 2012, 4:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Who: Senior research scientist for a large pharma company. I support manufacturing of one of our life-saving drug product lines.

When: I made 1K for the first time (Plat last year; Gold previous two years) in mid November.

How: About 70% for work and the remainder for vacations and mileage runs.

Where: Based in Indianapolis (IND). Frankfurt (FRA) multiple times, Cairo (CAI), London (LHR), Florence (FLR), Chicago (ORD), Newark (EWR), Washington DC (DCA) for work. Anchorage (ANC), San Diego (SAN), Houston (IAH) for mileage runs. Cancun (CUN) for vacation.

Why: I have always loved flying and seeing new places. Once I got a taste of status and I learned about the program through FlyerTalk, I wanted to retain the status even more!

What: I have a couple of international trips for work planned in the first quarter as well as a mileage run to Honolulu (HNL) in January. Looking at a mileage run to Beijing (PEK) or Tokyo (NRT) since I have never been to either city!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, EY Gold, QR Gold
Who: President and part owner of manufacturing company with branches in Dubai and Russia, also own company in Ukraine.

When: Made 1K on 12/16 IAD-ORD have been 1K for 6 years. Don't plan on it this year and didn't care. Buy Y domestic, but business over 6 hours from my company. Have flown AA, but routes not great, flying more with best seats and route. EY, EK, QR, SQ have been my preference this year.

How: About 85% work all paid C internationally or Y domestic, 15% for family vacations domestic.

Where: Based in ORD. This year: DXB, ODS, KBP, FRA, DEL, BLR, COK, CMB, AUH, DOH, SIN, EWR, IAD, DCA, SFO, ICN, LHR, BGW, AMM, AQJ, SAN, LAX, IAH, SAT, EBL, NRT, GSP, AUS, and probably some others I forgot.

Why: I have to for work. I used to love it, and part of me does, but I miss my family, and long haul flights for one or two days then back take a toll I do not like. The big plus is only time is when I can have total piece of mind, no emails, phone, kids, wife, dog, etc. Status helps, but could care less and less with UA since 3/3.

What: Have one trip booked in 2013 on UA and 3 paid C international on other airlines. Doubt I will make it, but didn't think I would come close. As MM don't really care that much until I see things change. I gave away all my GPUs, so not sure purpose of 1K other than irregular ops. If wasn't ORD based would be non issue or if AA had routes or better partners to places I go, then would switch in a minute! Loved the times I flew with them this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.