Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to O/ON coming Feb. 1, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Public Service Announcement: Book Global First Awards before Feb 1!!

This Thursday, Jan 31, will be the last day for people to get Saver Global First award tickets under the existing ON code. As UA Insider has let us know, this code goes away Feb 1. While we do not know for sure what this means for O, my guess is that the easy to obtain Global First awards of the past are dead.

For Plats and above, you can just cancel if you do not use them. Better to have the option for those flights, as that option will be gone Feb 1.

Last edited by blueman2; Jan 29, 2013 at 2:36 pm
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by blueman2
... While we do not know for sure what this means for O, my guess is that the easy to obtain Global First awards of the past are dead....
This is the key issue and only time will tell if this is a cosmetic change or a real change in availability.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Well it's now happened, ON availability that was bookable for elites yesterday (I was tracking two FRA-IAD flights in June) now remains as ON availability while availability in O remains nill.

A downgrade for elites? It's looking that way to me.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Award availability for F is dramatically worse now.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Award availability for F is dramatically worse now.
Dramatically? Which dates - by how much did O go down versus previous ON?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
Dramatically? Which dates - by how much did O go down versus previous ON?
SFO-HKG on June 28 was ON9 before Feb 1 and is now O0.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
This makes the following statement: "Better availability for United Saver Awards in premium cabins" at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx a partial, if not blatant lie.

For Global First, everybody now books out of O.
For BusinessFirst, the difference between R and RN is completely theoretical. I've rarely, if ever, seen a difference.

Quite an unfortunate move. I do understand wanting to prevent upgrades being used for free seats... but then we just need separate buckets.

Oh well, more employees will fly in Global First!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pat+
This makes the following statement: "Better availability for United Saver Awards in premium cabins" at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx a partial, if not blatant lie.

For Global First, everybody now books out of O.
For BusinessFirst, the difference between R and RN is completely theoretical. I've rarely, if ever, seen a difference.

Quite an unfortunate move. I do understand wanting to prevent upgrades being used for free seats... but then we just need separate buckets.

Oh well, more employees will fly in Global First!
This is odd. SFO-HKG has 12 F seats. Were there really 9 available for GF upgrades/awards before yesterday?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
My "ON" that I booked earlier this week now shows up as "ON" still but under it says "Upgrade Confirmed". I hope this doesn't cause me problem down the line.
As a side note, when I booked this flight it was "ON9" "O0" now it's "ON5" "O0". SFO-FRA early DEC.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aacharya
This is odd. SFO-HKG has 12 F seats. Were there really 9 available for GF upgrades/awards before yesterday?
There still are 9 available in ON class and none in O class.

Could this have been United opening up more ON availability before the class changes? Sure. Without seeing a bump in O availability though, we're left with the impression that F availability is only getting worse for elites, unlike what UA Insider suggested would happen in the OP.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
[QUOTE=Pat+;20167906]This makes the following statement: "Better availability for United Saver Awards in premium cabins" at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx a partial, if not blatant lie./QUOTE]

Oh yeah, just another in the many like our own UAInsider saying they do not sell TOD's until all eligible Elites have been upgraded.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:38 pm

WOW!! HUGE change!!

I was tracking flights from SFO-LHR in July and SFO-SYD in Nov. I had written down full month availability of ON and O space for each day in each month. Made my reservations on Jan 30. Luckily. Because the change in Saver F Award space is DRAMATIC!!!!

For SFO-SYD, there was DIRECT flight F space for TWO available on:

Nov 7,10,12,14,16,17,18,20,21,23,24

I only looked between 7th and 24th because that was my window. Now the available O space is ZERO across the entire month!!

Same situation for SFO-LHR award F space. I am soooooooooo glad I booked F awards for LHR and SYD on Jan 30. 2 days later, and I might never see Intl F award again!!!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by blueman2
I was tracking flights from SFO-LHR in July and SFO-SYD in Nov. I had written down full month availability of ON and O space for each day in each month. Made my reservations on Jan 30. Luckily. Because the change in Saver F Award space is DRAMATIC!!!!

For SFO-SYD, there was DIRECT flight F space for TWO available on:

Nov 7,10,12,14,16,17,18,20,21,23,24

I only looked between 7th and 24th because that was my window. Now the available O space is ZERO across the entire month!!

Same situation for SFO-LHR award F space. I am soooooooooo glad I booked F awards for LHR and SYD on Jan 30. 2 days later, and I might never see Intl F award again!!!
+1. At least they gave a heads up. And in all fairness, we (United flyers) didn't have this extra ON space a year ago. Was fantastic while it lasted. Wish they could find a middle ground.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ps9a
+1. Wish they could find a middle ground.
Agree, that would be fair and equitable. Otherwise, it makes ON going the way of IN and RN, for that matter.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by ps9a
+1. At least they gave a heads up. And in all fairness, we (United flyers) didn't have this extra ON space a year ago. Was fantastic while it lasted. Wish they could find a middle ground.
Actually, GS did have this. We had the ability to turn NF into XF on the phone with the GS agents. So for the past year, this benefit was (intentionally or not) given to 1K and PP as well. Now, we have ALL lost it!

But credit to UA Insider for letting us know so I could use up a TON of miles before the party was over!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.