Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to O/ON coming Feb. 1, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by Antipode
I agree. If we already have 2 letter fare codes anyway, it's not like UA is ever going to run out of letters, so might as well use up some more. The only explanations I can think of are laziness or they actually don't want to differentiate them and are using this as an excuse.

How about the fact that it takes an incredible amount of coding work in the GDS system of Shares. Don't get anyone started here on that.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
This is just another downgrade of elite benefits. What's not clear is whether these sorts of lame explanations represent deliberate deceit by UA management, attempting to claim that downgrades are really upgrades, or whether they are truly this clueless. I like to think that Shannon has enough respect for us to at least be embarrassed by having to report such news items.

Meanwhile it reinforces my decision to leave and will hopefully make it easier to burn my remaining 1MM+ account balance as I drop from 1K down to Gold.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:12 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have mixed feelings on this one and in the end, I think it was the right decision. Upgrade and award inventory for GF should never have been mixed in the first place. Part of the reason J-to-F upgrades are harder nowadays is that potential upgrade space is being gobbled up through award redemption.

ON also poses a problem for overbooking J; UA can't release ON space with the intention of it being upgrade space because it could lead to a new increase of premium passengers on a flight if an award is redeemed.

They could make another 2-letter code, but they chose not to do so. It probably would have been best to make a new bucket for upgrades: 'AN'.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Thumbs up for the transparent communication.

Being able to redeem miles for First Class awards is an important factor for distinguishing elites from the huge number of MP members.

Having the same availability for all members is disappointing. United could sweeten this enhancement by allowing Elite members to redeem one Standard Award every year for half the miles.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:52 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
I just like the old UA codes, plain and simple.
Unlike lots of confusing codes with black box CPU, you know you should get upgraded when there is NF space and you know you can get F award when there is XF.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for the heads-up.

I was at first happy to hear that it sounds like UA has listened to some of their high-value flyers and made a change that should improve the travel experience for them.

Now I'm a little worried that maybe this is meant to be the "good news" and we have yet to see the other shoe drop.

When will we hear about the rest of the 2013 MileagePlus Program?

(So far I've only booked refundable tickets in 2013…)

Last edited by mherdeg; Dec 19, 2012 at 4:13 am
Old Dec 19, 2012, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
While I'm not likely to be effected by this it does appear to take inventory out of system for elites and that's never a good thing.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 19, 2012 at 7:10 am
Old Dec 19, 2012, 4:15 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by UA Insider
A consequence of this pairing has been fewer seats being available for upgrades.

We’ll also continue to offer better access to Saver Awards in United First (on 2-cabin aircraft), United BusinessFirst and United Business for Premier Platinum members and above, and better access to Saver Awards in United Economy for all Premier members.
So let me get this straight. United is working hard to fix the upgrade situation from C to F but what about Y to C on int'l or domestic flights? This is definitely a downgrade in the program but it would better if UA was trying to fix the upgrade situation that many of us elites have been complaining about like stopping TODs etc.....
Old Dec 19, 2012, 4:45 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by zambonisk
While not published, GS can still convert upgrade into award space, I did it last week for my wife converting R to I.
I think that right just changed

Originally Posted by NiceLanding
This is just another downgrade of elite benefits. What's not clear is whether these sorts of lame explanations represent deliberate deceit by UA management, attempting to claim that downgrades are really upgrades, or whether they are truly this clueless. I like to think that Shannon has enough respect for us to at least be embarrassed by having to report such news items.
I wouldn't go so far as to say deceit, but everything Shannon writes is full of marketing spin. Based on the effect of the prior announcements here, I wouldn't expect to be able to book any saver fares after that announcement. The war on elites continues...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 19, 2012 at 8:17 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
I wouldn't go so far as to say deceit, but everything Shannon writes is full of marketing spin. Based on the effect of the prior announcements here, I wouldn't expect to be able to book any saver fares after that announcement. The war on elites continues...
this is what im worried about....are we going the way of Skypesos?

I do agree award and upgrade space should be different but not at the cost to elites for redemption
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Translation:

We are REMOVING better availability of saver GF awards for Plat, 1K, GS.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:46 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

This is a bummer, it was nice to be able to have more dates to choose from or use UA as a placeholder while waiting for other airlines with better products to release O inventory.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
If upgrade availability from Y to C improves that's a good thing. Hopefully they don't intend to sell all the extra upgrade space (left by those upgrading to F) for cash.
I don't think this change will help much in this regard. UA does overbook the J cabin on three cabin aircrafts, usually up to 2 or 3 seats. However, this change indeed will help some "by the skin of teeth" battlefield upgrades as some elites waitlisted to upgrade to F will clear thereby creating space for customers waitlisted in Y where in the past F was already occupied by a couple award redemptions that kept waitlisted F pax stuck in J. That is only if the J cabin is not overbooked.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The bigger question is if the new combination of O + ON space will equal the good previous amount of O/ON TTL space many of us have seen in the past year. Worried that we'll change from 1+1=2 to 1+1=1.5
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I don't understand why people are getting so upset about it. With ample Star Alliance partners offering superior products and on-board service it blows my mind why any UA elites would even consider redeeming UA miles to fly GlobalFirst. Sure it is nice to have as a back-up when availability on carriers offering a real first product isn't available or in combination with other itineraries but what is the big deal?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I don't understand why people are getting so upset about it. With ample Star Alliance partners offering superior products and on-board service it blows my mind why any UA elites would even consider redeeming UA miles to fly GlobalFirst. Sure it is nice to have as a back-up when availability on carriers offering a real first product isn't available or in combination with other itineraries but what is the big deal?
Because GF availability for Plat and higher was really good (as good as upgrade availability). And it was much easier to redeem in GF than to find seats in F on LH/OZ/SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.