Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Biz Class Seats - 767-300 or 767-400ER

Old Dec 16, 12, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Which model has the most comfortable international business class seats?
Old Dec 16, 12, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
ha. 764s are all PMCO and the 763s have recently started undergoing refreshes that are more in line with the PMCO interiors at least for the BF cabins, but are still mostly PMUA IPTE (International Premium Travel Experience).

what is "best" will have do with your own physique. the 764s are all converted to the 39 BF seats, apart from the ones used for the Hawaii flights, which still use the legacy barcalounger seats. i think all of the 763 ghetto birds are now offline, so there are now 3 class IPTE PMUA furnished ones, and some recent refreshes that feature the [B/E Aerospace?] seats like the PMCO seats found in the 772 and 752 and now the 764.

apart from the seatmaps and specs shown on UA.com, you can look at this site which tracks the interiors of the entire fleet.. i actually now have it book marked.

https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/mainline-fleet-tracking

from the PMUA v. PMCO Biz lieflat seat debate (not talking about AVOD), the PMCO seats tends to be a bit wider and has more personal storage space, where as the PMUA tends to be "longer." taller pax aren't too fond of the PMCO styled seats and from the feedback i see on FT, it seems their preference is for IPTE. i recently flew a refreshed 764 and the IPTE 763 and liked both. for me, i'm 5'10" and of a slim/moderate build so both are fine for me w/ respect to seat length. they layflat and i can fit in both without feeling squeezed. both have armrests that drop when you have an aisle.

another nice thing about the IPTE 763 is that you don't have the middle block of 4 seats like on the 772 and 747.

the 764 and 763 refreshes feature a single aisle for the "D" seats so you have aisle on both sides which is nice when you are traveling solo.

Last edited by eleeut; Dec 16, 12 at 2:38 pm Reason: typos!
Old Dec 16, 12, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
I'm also 5'10" and medium build and have found both 763 biz class and 764 BF to be quite pleasant. I would give a slight nod to the 764 D seats since I had an aisle on both sides.

Originally Posted by eleeut View Post
ha. 764s are all PMCO and the 763s have recently started undergoing refreshes that are more in line with the PMCO interiors at least for the BF cabins, but are still mostly PMUA IPTE (International Premium Travel Experience).

what is "best" will have do with your own physique. the 764s are all converted to the 39 BF seats, apart from the ones used for the Hawaii flights, which still use the legacy barcalounger seats. i think all of the 763 ghetto birds are now offline, so there are now 3 class IPTE PMUA furnished ones, and some recent refreshes that feature the [B/E Aerospace?] seats like the PMCO seats found in the 772 and 752 and now the 764.

apart from the seatmaps and specs shown on UA.com, you can look at this site which tracks the interiors of the entire fleet.. i actually now have it book marked.

https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/mainline-fleet-tracking

from the PMUA v. PMCO Biz lieflat seat debate (not talking about AVOD), the PMCO seats tends to be a bit wider and has more personal storage space, where as the PMUA tends to be "longer." taller pax aren't too fond of the PMCO styled seats and from the feedback i see on FT, it seems there is preference for IPTE. i recently flew a refreshed 764 and the IPTE 763 and liked both. for me, i'm 5'10" and of a slim/moderate build so both are fine for me w/ respect to seat length. they layflat and i can fit in both without feeling squeezed. both have armrests that drop when you are you have an aisle.

another nice thing about the IPTE 763 is that you don't have the middle block of 4 seats like on the 772 and 747.

for the 764 and 763 refreshes has a single aisle for the "D" seats so you have aisle on both sides which is nice when you are traveling solo.
Old Dec 16, 12, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The 3-cabin 763s haven't changed at all and the 2-cabin 763s are the same seats/service as the 2-cabin sCo 764s. There is nothing sUA IPTE about them except the crew.
Old Dec 16, 12, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post

The 3-cabin 763s haven't changed at all and the 2-cabin 763s are the same seats/service as the 2-cabin sCo 764s. There is nothing sUA IPTE about them except the crew.
i think i skipped over the part that 763s are still mostly PMUA IPTE. i think i'm struggling for a term reflecting the "post merger" BF refreshes and seating, which are all featuring the B/E equipment deployed on the PMCO 752s and 772s.

on another note though, when i was on the refreshed 764 (seat 2D), it seemed a tad bit shorter and less wide than the 772 PMCO BF seats. per UA.com, it seems the 764 BF seats are narrower than the 772 PMCO BF seats (21" w / 55" pitch v. 22" w / 60" pitch).

Last edited by eleeut; Dec 16, 12 at 3:23 pm
Old Dec 16, 12, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
My background pre-merger was United. I'm really only seeing pre-merger Continental product starting back this August. After 4 flights on the "Continental" 2-1-2 767 business configurations I like it better than the pre-merger United product. I'm OK sitting backwards in a PMUA 2-2-2, but honestly, I think it's a lame design that looks like crap, and doesn't give much privacy. The lack of personal storage space and electric outlet placement don't help.

Last week on a 763ER MUC - IAD it was especially nice with the 30 seat cabin. It just feels more thought out, and at 6 feet 200 lbs + I have no problem sleeping. This was a "D" seat. Minor criticism - the footwells on the window seats appear to be smaller.

At the end of the day it's hair splitting; the important thing is to be in that class of service, whatever the configuration. Agree with other posts that the center D seats can be good for solo travel on the 767's that have them.
Old Dec 17, 12, 4:04 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
What do you recommend for a day flight Europe - EWR/IAD:

- PMCO 752 or PMUA 763? More privacy?
Old Dec 17, 12, 4:24 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga View Post

The 763 because you don't have to climb over anyone or have anyone climb over you if you can score the D seat.
Old Dec 17, 12, 12:41 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by njcommodore View Post
The 763 because you don't have to climb over anyone or have anyone climb over you if you can score the D seat.
Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 12, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga View Post

And, for the day flight, I would probably opt for the 752. Fewer seats, fewer people, a little more personal service, AVOD that is pretty good, and a BF seat slightly wider than that on the reconfiged 764's and pmCO 772's.
Old Dec 17, 12, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA1K .6MM
Originally Posted by Dudemius View Post
My background pre-merger was United. I'm really only seeing pre-merger Continental product starting back this August. After 4 flights on the "Continental" 2-1-2 767 business configurations I like it better than the pre-merger United product. I'm OK sitting backwards in a PMUA 2-2-2, but honestly, I think it's a lame design that looks like crap, and doesn't give much privacy. The lack of personal storage space and electric outlet placement don't help.

Last week on a 763ER MUC - IAD it was especially nice with the 30 seat cabin. It just feels more thought out, and at 6 feet 200 lbs + I have no problem sleeping. This was a "D" seat. Minor criticism - the footwells on the window seats appear to be smaller.

At the end of the day it's hair splitting; the important thing is to be in that class of service, whatever the configuration. Agree with other posts that the center D seats can be good for solo travel on the 767's that have them.
I don't find it splitting hair - Although both seats are almost the same model from B/E, the 2-class 763/764 have seats that are too short for my height. I find it generally a poorer layout - The seats are too short for taller folks to lie flat, and the middle "throne" feels like being in the moshpit, with my drink being knocked off more than once. Also, no slot for the safety cards - poor design.

The 3-class 763 has longer seats, larger footwells, better AVOD interface, and a better USB/Power placement (IMO). I also prefer flying backwards if possible. The cabin/fabric color scheme is also far more pleasant.

Lastly, you have the chance to get into F, and the 763 has the most private suites of the fleet (1/2K).
Old Dec 17, 12, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
and some recent refreshes that feature the [B/E Aerospace?] seats
Both sUA IPTE C and sCO lieflat BF are B/E Aerospace seats.

sCO LFBF is the standard B/E Diamond model.
sUA IPTE C was designed by Pentagram and B/E's Design Studio and manufactured by B/E.
Old Dec 17, 12, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Both sUA IPTE C and sCO lieflat BF are B/E Aerospace seats.

sCO LFBF is the standard B/E Diamond model.
sUA IPTE C was designed by Pentagram and B/E's Design Studio and manufactured by B/E.
ah, there goes my differentiation.

so, pentagrams v. diamonds? =)
Old Jan 19, 13, 12:01 pm

Programs: United, SPG, Hyatt
Great resource, thanks for sharing. Totally bookmarked.

Last edited by julp; Jan 19, 13 at 12:01 pm Reason: fixed link
Old Mar 17, 13, 9:19 am
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Last week on a 763ER MUC - IAD it was especially nice with the 30 seat cabin. It just feels more thought out, and at 6 feet 200 lbs + I have no problem sleeping. This was a "D" seat. Minor criticism - the footwells on the window seats appear to be smaller...
Six feet 185 here, and I did not find the 767 BF lie-flat all that and a bag of chips. I was in a K seat. Found it narrow, hard and the footwell was cramped. I'll be in a D seat in May, traveling sans TSMRSRNE sadly. I'm not expecting D to be any better than K, but I'll let you know.

At the end of the day it's hair splitting; the important thing is to be in that class of service...
That is quite correct.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: