Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Possible executive suite shake-up [Confirmed.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible executive suite shake-up [Confirmed.]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu
As winecountryua said, there can be many reasons for these shakeups and we should not jump to conclusions. My view is that this is the first news that is not definitely bad. Whether it turns out to be good remains to be seen.
Makes sense.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
The new lounge has been under construction for many,many months. And Bergsrud was in charge of that side of the business, not Compton.
Doesnt preclude him from voicing an opinion about them.
Originally Posted by sbm12
He gave the "product" discussion along with the woman from the Social Media team.
Yup, thats who I thought it was. Shame you weren't there when we had that little argument about UA.com. He's responsible for the TOD's as well.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't need someone telling me it's my fault that a problem occurred because I don't know what I'm doing. No thanks.
+1

Or being told that I will get exactly what they think I should get and then overcharge me for the privilege of owning (or flying) their brand.

Then again, maybe UA does have some Apple execs working for them.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by wpr8e
???

Revisionist history if I've ever seen one.

If memory serves, I believe it was Bethune who said something to the effect regarding United, "the inmates are running the insane asylum and they've got the keys to the medicine cabinet."

I think a far more balanced statement would be that the issues we're seeing with the merger today is highly correlated to the misgivings Kellner expressed earlier. No merger is easy, but this one has some unique challenges that would be difficult for anyone to undertake.
And I'd strongly argue those unique changes consisted heavily of the arrogance one side carried in. The public smear campaign CO has waged against UA for decades is perfectly represented in the quote you presented. With that type of animosity, it's no wonder why we find ourselves in the current situation. They had long held the prize of the most snarky executive leadership in the business.

In undertaking this shotgun marriage, it was easier and more timely to simply revert to one side's policies and procedures above all else, and as has been publicly admitted to in the Chicago Tribune and Houston's Chron, that is exactly what happened. After all, Mr. Smisek's big bonus was tied directly to how fast he could throw these two together. No matter the show they put on for the press, thoughtful integration filled with the required due dilligence never occurred. The notion that the current performance is somehow rooted in structual problems lf the old UAL Corporation is unfounded. It's almost entirely rooted in incompetence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.