Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down? And other UA website issues[ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down? And other UA website issues[ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
I had to un-check the "block pop-up windows" option on safari. Why on earth would I have to allow pop-windows for my united search to work?

I'm trying to figure out if I can allow it for just the united website and disallow for others as a general rule.

*UPDATE*

Now I'm getting the same error message even with the block pop up windows box un-checked. scratch head
Try calling the web support desk. They have helped me with problems like this in the past.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I'm having the same problem on two different computers (work laptop accessed in the office and home laptop accessed from home). As far as I know, I haven't changed any configuration parameters in the last 48 hours.

I just tried Internet Explorer (I usually use Chrome). Same result.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 17, 2018 at 6:54 pm Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
I had to un-check the "block pop-up windows" option on safari. Why on earth would I have to allow pop-windows for my united search to work? ... Now I'm getting the same error message even with the block pop up windows box un-checked. scratch head
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
I'm having the same problem on two different computers (work laptop accessed in the office and home laptop accessed from home). As far as I know, I haven't changed any configuration parameters in the last 48 hours. I just tried Internet Explorer (I usually use Chrome). Same result.
As you may have surmised by now, the problems you experienced have nothing to do with your browser choice or a popup blocker. They are intermittent problems with United’s servers.

A modern high-volume commerce site like United’s will work fine on the latest version of any modern browser, including Safari. Sure, there might be occasional display glitches as the developers tweak the HTML and CSS, but if you see a message saying your search has failed or the site just craps out on you, it’s the server that is to blame. As long as you keep your computer up to date, browser-based glitches are largely a thing of the past.

So why do folks on FT occasionally swear that switching from browser X to browser Y fixed the problem? Because server issues appear intermittent to the user. The next time you initiate a session, you probably hit a different machine in their cloud facility, one that might not be experiencing capacity problems or other issues. It’s a coincidence.

To sum up, United’s eCommerce problems are real, but in 99% of cases they have nothing to do with what browser you choose.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
So why do folks on FT occasionally swear that switching from browser X to browser Y fixed the problem? Because server issues appear intermittent to the user. The next time you initiate a session, you probably hit a different machine in their cloud facility, one that might not be experiencing capacity problems or other issues. It’s a coincidence.
Dependence on cookie and cache contents mean that it's a little bit more than coincidence, although admittedly not "browser specific".
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I've been trying to buy a simple domestic round trip for an hour. Tried 3 different browsers on 2 different PC's.

Error

We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request. Please try later or contact united.com Support in the U.S. and Canada at 1-800-260-1952; the U.K., phone 0800 028 5003; elsewhere use the local phone number.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
And now:

Service Unavailable

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by findark
Dependence on cookie and cache contents mean that it's a little bit more than coincidence, although admittedly not "browser specific".
I have come to believe, after 20 years leading the design and development of ecommerce sites and other digital products, that leading most customers to an understanding of minutiae such as corrupted cookies is more trouble than it’s worth. (“This proves United doesn’t support Chrome! They must all be morons!”)

Yes, those who can figure out how to scrub every scrap of United flotsam from their browser can occasionally fix a temporarily problem, but it’s much (much) more likely to be an intermittent server glitch requiring no user intervention except to wait, then try again.

Originally Posted by u600213
I've been trying to buy a simple domestic round trip for an hour. Tried 3 different browsers on 2 different PC's.
It’s not your browser. It’s their servers.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Still broken today. Crashes when I am just about to complete a ticket purchase.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I was finally able to buy a ticket today, but first four searches crapped out.
Really poor experience.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone

Yes, those who can figure out how to scrub every scrap of United flotsam from their browser can occasionally fix a temporarily problem, but it’s much (much) more likely to be an intermittent server glitch requiring no user intervention except to wait, then try again....
With United, it's always the jetsam, never the flotsam.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dulcamara
Still broken today. Crashes when I am just about to complete a ticket purchase.
I suggest you check whether your purchases have completed. I've gotten errrs on the UA site that indicated something didn't happen when in fact it really did.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by u600213

View Current Reservation

! We were not able to find any available seats meeting your requirements. You may modify your search criteria, or call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada; elsewhere contact your local United Reservations Office.

Shown at top when I view an existing reservation on united.com for which I already have seat assignments. I was just viewing the reservation, not changing seats.

Message does not appear when using United App on Android or IOS.
I’m having the same issue. Very strange.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Please contact Mileageplus service center for assistance with your account

Apparently since yesterday a large number of accounts are affected by "Please contact Mileageplus service center for assistance with your account" when trying to log in on the website.

After talking to two representatives, the solution seems to be clearing the "united.com" cookies from your browser then log in. This will trigger your security questions and reset your account. There does not seem to be any need to change password or use another browser (both of which were suggested by other reps).
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
UA system glitchy tonight?

I'm getting all sorts of errors and weirdness when searching for awards tonight. Others seeing this?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
yes I am. Trying to book some awards and it's glitching out. The phone agent is saying she's seeing the same issues on her end too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.