Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Advice on picking BF 787 seats that stick on an equipment swap?

Old Dec 13, 12, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K,AA Plat, UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Glb, Accors Plt, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*

So what happens to seat assignments in BusinessFirst on swaps to the 767 and 777s?

- What eqpt and configs have typically been subbed for 787s?
- Have there been any swaps to 757s?
- From what I have seen in the past, seats will stick that have the same number in the new config. Those that don't are re-assigned based on profile?
- Are seats mapped like for like? i.e. will 5L (window) go to 5J (window) on other eqpt?

Trying to determine what are the best seats to pick that will stick in a swap. I know the A/Bs as forward as possible is the best bet, but if full, or if you want window on the other side, what's the next best options?
Old Dec 13, 12, 12:31 pm

Programs: co, ba, marriot, national, avis, spg
Not enough data points

Originally Posted by dmodemd View Post
So what happens to seat assignments in BusinessFirst on swaps to the 767 and 777s?

- From what I have seen in the past, seats will stick that have the same number in the new config. Those that don't are re-assigned based on profile?
- Are seats mapped like for like? i.e. will 5L (window) go to 5J (window) on other eqpt?

Trying to determine what are the best seats to pick that will stick in a swap. I know the A/Bs as forward as possible is the best bet, but if full, or if you want window on the other side, what's the next best options?
It has happened to me once, so don't quote me if your experience is different but:
we had a 777 swapped for the 787,
I kept my seat (almost certainly due to being GS) my friend lost his as he had no status even though both of us had seats that no longer existed.
Seats do appear to be mapped like for like, I retained my aisle seat but moved up several rows.

Given the reliability of the 787, if I didn't have high status I would stick with an A seat and a low row number

Hope this helps
Old Dec 13, 12, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Pick seats that exist on the 762.
Old Dec 13, 12, 12:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
My guess based on other ac swaps is the actual seat is not a factor
- status, aisle/window/..., paid/award, fare class, joint / separate PNRs, .... all matter. But a low level elite on award ticket is likely to lose any seat on a swap versus a GS on full fare.
Old Dec 13, 12, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K,AA Plat, UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Glb, Accors Plt, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
My guess based on other ac swaps is the actual seat is not a factor
- status, aisle/window/..., paid/award, fare class, joint / separate PNRs, .... all matter. But a low level elite on award ticket is likely to lose any seat on a swap versus a GS on full fare.
So if you keep the F seat will it be re-assigned to some other seat in F or could you be left with a blank seat assignment but still in F to be resolved at the counter?
...and if you lose the seat, meaning that sometimes you could get popped back to Y and be assigned a seat in E+? Is there some kind of automatic processing or does someone go in ahead of time and remap (or a mix of auto and manual adjustments)?

I haven't had an eqpt swap since the merger, so not sure how it is handled now...
Old Dec 13, 12, 1:43 pm

On sCO widebody aircraft 767/777/787 All right hand side window seats in BF will always be "L"no matter what. So if your in let's say 4L on a 787 and the flight swaps out to a 777 then you will be assigned 4L on the 777.
Old Dec 13, 12, 2:09 pm

Programs: co, ba, marriot, national, avis, spg
So if you keep the F seat will it be re-assigned to some other seat in F or could you be left with a blank seat assignment but still in F to be resolved at the counter?
...and if you lose the seat, meaning that sometimes you could get popped back to Y and be assigned a seat in E+? Is there some kind of automatic processing or does someone go in ahead of time and remap (or a mix of auto and manual adjustments)?

I haven't had an eqpt swap since the merger, so not sure how it is handled now...
At EWR it was a total mess. Everyone had to line up to find out from GA if you still had a seat. My friend lost a paid for First seat that still existed and ended up with a window in Y, turned down a middle in E+. I kept a seat but different row than I had selected as that row no longer existed. Sometimes being GS has its perks^
Old Dec 13, 12, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Be sure the seat would still be valid on other aircraft as well such as the 777 or 767.
Cheers
Old Dec 14, 12, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Plat AMB, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club
There are fewer BF seats on the 787 than on the 767 or 777, correct? So if I have seat 5K on the 787 to LHR (in February -- hoping they've got the issues figured out by then, but if not...) and there is an equipment swap, wouldn't they just reassign me to another available BF seat in a different row number? There's no 5K on those other planes...
Why would someone lose a BF seat entirely if there's a swap to a plane with even more BF seats?
(I upgraded with miles, btw)
Old Dec 15, 12, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat / UA Gold 1MM.
Two weekends ago my partner and I had BF seats (A fare) from ORD-IAH and IAH-SFO, both on 787. The day before we flew SFO-ORD on a K fare where we were waitlisted for UDU. Because of the waitlist our PNRs were split.

When ORD-IAH was downguaged to a 764 due to an mx issue I kept my original BF seat assginment but my partner was moved to some other random BF seat. Thankfully his proper seat hadn't been reassigned and we were able to move him back to the seat next to me.

Edited to add: We were in 1A and 1B and these seats exist on both aircraft. So IME the picking a seat that exists on both aircraft won't protect you.

Last edited by WillFlyer; Dec 15, 12 at 11:57 pm Reason: Seat assignment clarification.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: