Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to DXB or IST....which would you choose??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Ok FTer folks...my wife and I are thinking of taking advantage of some of the cheap UA fares to DXB and IST early next year....basically turning it into a mileage run and mini-vacation (1 or 2 nights)...since we only have the time and funds for one of the two, which would you choose?? We are both Silvers so no E+ until 24 hours, but I am a UC member so we *should* have lounge access. Here's the pro/con list I've created so far...feel free to add to it

Pros...
IST:
1. We would only have to provide one positioning flight to IAD or EWR since the fare allows for a return to PDX without increasing the fare very much.
2. The flight to IST is operated by a 767-300 allowing for more privacy since it has a 2 seat side unlike the 777 with the 3 seat side.
3. The fare is slightly less expensive.
4. I've heard GREAT things about the Turkish Air lounge in IST which we would have access to...maybe the best in the Star system??
5. IST sounds like a great city to expore...lots to do.
6. More day time on the ground to explore.

DXB:
1. There is a 50% RDM miles promotion right now for the IAD-DXB flights.
2. More EQM & RDM since it is a much longer flight (especially with the current 50% promotion on top of our 25% Premier Silver bonus)
3. We are both interested in the Desert Dinner Safari since it sounds fun, exotic, and yes, touristy, but that's ok
4. Only have to pay for one hotel night since the return flight is at 1am
5. No $20 Visa fee (as in IST)
6. Warm, but not uncomfortable weather

Cons...
IST:
1. A lot fewer EQM & RDM especially without the 50% bonus and the fact that I would need to take a LH flight from IST-MUC to ensure that I get home in time for work (no EQMs on the LH flight)
2. $20 Visa fee (each)
3. Potential for cold/rainy weather
4. We would need to pay for 2 nights in a hotel

DXB:
1. The fare only allows you to begin and end in ORD so we would need positioning flights in both directions.
2. Fare is slightly more expensive.
3. Potential to have someone sitting with us for 13-14 hours since it is a 777 with the 3 seat side
4. The possibility of sitting for 13-14 hours in E- (since E+ doesn't open up for us until T-24) is slightly scary.
5. I've heard that the *A lounge in DXB will sometimes not allow UC members (only allowing *G).
Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Hands down, go to IST! It's one of the most amazing cities in the world and the sights are phenomenal. I've been to both DXB and IST in the last year and IST is far and away the better choice, even if you don't get quite as much in terms of a mileage run. Lots of reasonable hotel options and great food as well. Let the mileage benefits come from the travel you want, don't let them define the travel...
Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: Ex. Somebody, now a disloyal Nobody
IST is more interesting

I've been to IST (but not DXB), but from what I know IST is a more interesting destination. I was there last year for 2.5 days on MR/mini vacation triggered by a $500 fare from LAX. There is so much history to see. Also, the TK lounge is the best *G lounge that I've ever been to (not that I'd fly halfway round the world for a lounge, but it was a nice place to finish the trip).
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: CO-Plat/UA-1P, HHonors-Gold

Another vote for IST! I'm all for using mileage runs as mini vacations and I think there is much more to do in IST.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
+1
Go to IST, more things to do and you will enjoy it better
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: PMUA
Dxb gets my vote, way more civilized. Dubai feels like US, many beach hotels that you still can swim in January. Highest building in the world, so if you want mini vacation, I would pick Dubai, everyone speaks English there, unlike Turkey.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by USAF Flyboy
Hands down, go to IST! It's one of the most amazing cities in the world and the sights are phenomenal. I've been to both DXB and IST in the last year and IST is far and away the better choice, even if you don't get quite as much in terms of a mileage run. Lots of reasonable hotel options and great food as well. Let the mileage benefits come from the travel you want, don't let them define the travel...
I agree that IST is a much more interesting city, and kind of agree with this recommendation. Still, let me throw a few additional considerations and questions into the hopper:

1. You mention that you fear being stuck in E- all the way back from DXB. Isn't that a potential problem with IST as well? FWIW, flying LH Y for part of the way from IST will be at least as crammed as UA E-.
2. Are you sure that the UC membership gets you into A* partner lounges?
3. While I like IST a lot better than DXB (in terms of fascinating culture, history, cuisine, sights, etc), in fact DXB is interesting in a bizarre kind of way for a quick trip, as a sterile semi-westernized consumer/tourist mecca (so to speak) in the middle of the dessert. By that, I mean some of the skyscrapers are architecturally interesting (though the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world, is not worth the hefty price for going up to the observation tower), the massive malls are testaments to mass consumption (with one of them having an incredible but smallish aquarium inside, though it is not free to enter), etc.
4. DXB will actually be easier to deal with, in terms of very reliable and honest taxis to take you where you want to go, much less traffic, much more developed, English pretty widely spoken, etc. Depending on where you'd stay in IST, plan on an hour or so back and forth from the airport, and perhaps even more certain times of day. Plus, for all of its charms, IST is a crowded town so be prepared for all of the energy involved with dealing with that, especially when jet-lagged. I.e., DXB is more relaxing and easier to deal with, though less interesting than IST.
5. Weather-wise, DXB will in fact be more reliable and I would think rather pleasant early in the year.
6. While the TK lounge in IST is in fact nice, it's not so great that I'd factor it into my calculations.
7. If you folks like having a beer, glass of wine, etc., be advised that you can only do that in hotels in DXB, not in any restaurants. No such problem in IST.
8. Being able to sit together alone in a two-seat side of the plane en route to IST would in fact be nice.
9. Except probably for the taxi ride from the airport to where you might stay, IST would be less expensive (though find out what the respective visa charges, if any, would be).
10. If situated in the right place in IST, you'd much more likely to get around by walking most of the time (and/or could take a pleasant boat trip up the Bosphorus). In DXB you'd mostly get around by taxi - though, again, the taxis are nice and reasonably priced - or for some destinations a good light rail system.

Having said all this, I come down in the end on the side of IST. But just be aware of these other considerations.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Just returned from IST. It's a marvelous city and quite impressive with the numerous mosques dominating the skyline.
That said, I think it is a waste of time to go to IST for only 1 or 2 nights. Don't forget that it will take a long time to get to Sulthanahmet where all the sight are (traffic jams abound). Therefore, I suggest at least two full days on the ground, not counting the day of arrival or departure.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
4. DXB will actually be easier to deal with, in terms of very reliable and honest taxis to take you where you want to go, much less traffic, much more developed, English pretty widely spoken, etc. Depending on where you'd stay in IST, plan on an hour or so back and forth from the airport, and perhaps even more certain times of day. Plus, for all of its charms, IST is a crowded town so be prepared for all of the energy involved with dealing with that, especially when jet-lagged. I.e., DXB is more relaxing and easier to deal with, though less interesting than IST.
Agreed. IST is extremely crowded. You won't believe it .

Last edited by Dieuwer; Dec 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I'd go with DXB. Went there in June and had a great time! While the heat does take some getting used to, it wasn't like Singapore where you are drenched in sweat as soon as you exit the hotel, etc.

Had a great time at the Burj Khalifa!

Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I agree that IST is a much more interesting city, and kind of agree with this recommendation. Still, let me throw a few additional considerations and questions into the hopper:

1. You mention that you fear being stuck in E- all the way back from DXB. Isn't that a potential problem with IST as well? FWIW, flying LH Y for part of the way from IST will be at least as crammed as UA E-.
2. Are you sure that the UC membership gets you into A* partner lounges?
3. While I like IST a lot better than DXB (in terms of fascinating culture, history, cuisine, sights, etc), in fact DXB is interesting in a bizarre kind of way for a quick trip, as a sterile semi-westernized consumer/tourist mecca (so to speak) in the middle of the dessert. By that, I mean some of the skyscrapers are architecturally interesting (though the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world, is not worth the hefty price for going up to the observation tower), the massive malls are testaments to mass consumption (with one of them having an incredible but smallish aquarium inside, though it is not free to enter), etc.
5. Weather-wise, DXB will in fact be more reliable and I would think rather pleasant early in the year.
6. While the TK lounge in IST is in fact nice, it's not so great that I'd factor it into my calculations.
7. If you folks like having a beer, glass of wine, etc., be advised that you can only do that in hotels in DXB, not in any restaurants. No such problem in IST.
8. Being able to sit together alone in a two-seat side of the plane en route to IST would in fact be nice.
9. Except probably for the taxi ride from the airport to where you might stay, IST would be less expensive (though find out what the respective visa charges, if any, would be).
10. If situated in the right place in IST, you'd much more likely to get around by walking most of the time (and/or could take a pleasant boat trip up the Bosphorus). In DXB you'd mostly get around by taxi - though, again, the taxis are nice and reasonably priced - or for some destinations a good light rail system.

Having said all this, I come down in the end on the side of IST. But just be aware of these other considerations.
Very helpful additions to the list....thanks! With regard to lounge access, there is a thread (maybe in this forum?) about UC members being admitted to the TK lounge without any problem and there is also a thread about UC members NOT being admitted to the LH or contract lounge in DXB. Yes, on either flight, we could be stuck in E-, but it seems like the EWR-IST flight would be more comfortable since it's only a 2 seater and about 3 or 4 hours shorter than DXB. With regard to E+, on domestic UA flights, E+ has been semi-wide open for me at T-24....with some random checking of the IST and DXB flights around T-24, according to the seat map, it doesn't look as wide open (probably due to lack of CPUs) so E- seats are definately a possibility and I can't remember the last time I was in E-
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: Ex. Somebody, now a disloyal Nobody
Different strokes...

Originally Posted by Karlson
Dubai feels like US
It all depends on how gritty and foreign you want it. Personally, I like that if feels foreign. It's not hard to get around w/o speaking Turkish.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: PMUA
Originally Posted by gregas
It all depends on how gritty and foreign you want it. Personally, I like that if feels foreign. It's not hard to get around w/o speaking Turkish.
Went to Istanbul and Antalya. Not that difficult that is true, but why bother, if in Dubai I didn't see a single person who didn't speak English
Old Dec 9, 2012, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Very helpful additions to the list....thanks! With regard to lounge access, there is a thread (maybe in this forum?) about UC members being admitted to the TK lounge without any problem and there is also a thread about UC members NOT being admitted to the LH or contract lounge in DXB. Yes, on either flight, we could be stuck in E-, but it seems like the EWR-IST flight would be more comfortable since it's only a 2 seater and about 3 or 4 hours shorter than DXB. With regard to E+, on domestic UA flights, E+ has been semi-wide open for me at T-24....with some random checking of the IST and DXB flights around T-24, according to the seat map, it doesn't look as wide open (probably due to lack of CPUs) so E- seats are definately a possibility and I can't remember the last time I was in E-
Oh, I see. I guess you could pay in advance for E+, but for an international trip it could be kind of pricey.

Originally Posted by gregas
I agree. In my saying that DXB is easier by virtue of most folks speaking English, I didn't mean to say that IST would be a real challenge. It's certainly spoken decently and widely enough there that visitors don't have a problem.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
DXB because you can conquer it in a couple days. Leave IST for when you have more time to explore that amazing city.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
IST, no contest. It is one of the world's great cities and far far more historic and culturally interesting than DXB. Amazing food, too.

I have successfully accessed the TK lounge with a UC membership, so add another data point there.

Hotels in IST are generally cheap due to the weak lira. You can stay in a good-quality centrally located 3 star for $80/night or less. A lot of them throw in free airport transfer too.

Yes there is weeks and weeks of exploring you can do, but you can easily cover the "must sees" in 1-2 days. It might be ideal to stay longer, but at least you will get a sense of the place that will allow you to hit the ground running next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.