Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA's generic Report lost items

Since some "Lost and Found" are operated by the airport operator, check the airport's official website for contact information
Print Wikipost

UAL Lost and Found?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
You still use an Ipod?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
I would not hold out too much hope on phone / emails: I would make every effort to get back to the airport and be nice to anyone and everyone and see what happens....

As an example, I left a laptop on a flight to MUC, and didn't realize until I got to the hotel a couple of hours later. I did the web report thing, the airport website thing and called the lost property places with no joy. Jumped back on the train to the airport, went to main lost property, was laughed at, went back to UA check in and the ladies there were very helpful.. the laptop was at the gate.... it then just required a little effort to get back through passport control and security to get to the gate to get it.

Its like the first few hours are critical...

Good luck, I really hope you get your stuff back!
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
In the spirit of LimeyFlyer, yes the first few hours are critical, but IMO that window has now passed.

But now that the window has passed, you now need to trust the system. You have filed the UA lost and found report... it will take a few days to filter through and get found... but if it is found by UA (and not pilfered by another passenger) its on its way back to IAH. Where they do put effort into reuniting with its owners.

IME: It took a few weeks but I got a Kindle Fire back that slipped out of my bag, it was dead when they found it, but they charged it and narrowed it down to me (it had no outward markings that it was mine).

But you will see many success stores here: UAL Lost and Found?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
Also You might find and call the next station for the aircraft. If it is in a seatback pocket, the cleaning crew may not see it and the next passenger might where it would be turned in somewhere else.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
yah, i don't trust the webform at all. I left a single shoe on a flight (don't ask, i dont remember how either) and i filled out the form. I got a response that it was not found. The next week, I was flying out of LAX anyways and dropped by the lost and found at baggage services and asked them if they had seen it, and they had it - and wanted the story behind the one shoe as well. Clearly the form never made it to LAX's lost and found...
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bbmatt
yah, i don't trust the webform at all. I left a single shoe on a flight (don't ask, i dont remember how either) and i filled out the form. I got a response that it was not found. The next week, I was flying out of LAX anyways and dropped by the lost and found at baggage services and asked them if they had seen it, and they had it - and wanted the story behind the one shoe as well. Clearly the form never made it to LAX's lost and found...
As we often ask when watching news stories - was alcohol involved?
Xyzzy, jhayes_1780 and ajGoes like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your best bet for retrieving is to visit the airport soon.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:34 pm

I landed yesterday. I'll try and get to the airport this AM.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by chuck1
Hello - any suggestions other than the web form?
I arrived SYD today and somehow I left my Bose in ear head sets and iPod (both in the Bose case) on board when I disembarked off 863 from SFO.
I discovered this late this afternoon after UA would have closed.
Any local numbers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
All I can say is good luck. I left my iPod Nano on a flight years ago. I remember it about 15 minutes later. I went back to the gate and the agent there was kind enough to go back on the plane and check the seat back pocket, where I knew I had left it. No joy. Cleaning crew had already been through the plane and my iPod was never returned, even though I immediately filled out the Web Form.

We had pretty good luck with other items. DW kindle was left on both US Airways and United flights and eventually found its way home.

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
You still use an Ipod?
I do too. The iPod Nano is light, small and the battery last way longer than my phone would. I can put it in my shirt pocket on a flight and barely notice its there.

​​​​​​​In fact I even bought a spare off eBay a couple of years ago, so when this one dies (or goes missing) I'm still good.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
hahah, it was a late night flight where i passed out immediately and forgot i changed into flip flops during the flight. I woke up at LAX and saw one shoe and picked it up, not realizing the other one must have been under the seat... i think...? haha a bit was alc was involved.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott PLT (LTPP), SPG PLT (LTG), AA EXP, UA 1K, Delta silver, Hertz PC
In my haste to make it off the plane in IAH (from EWR) yesterday morning, I left my Bose QC25 head phones, case, and my Apple Airpods tucked neatly inside the case as well...$410 value (I paid $250 for the Bose several years ago) *POOF* gone in a puff of smoke.

Back in IAH today for my ongoing journey (stayed overnight to meet some family), and just realized I forgot the items. No luck in the lost and found area in terminal C, and let's see if anything turns up.

In other news, I made Marriott LTP today, so yay me!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:05 pm

Odd of getting back?

My wedding band fell of on UA179 yesterday. It must have worked itself off my hand when I was trying to get comfortable/sleeping.

i filled out lost and found form and called and they didn’t sound too positive about finding jt

any thoughts? I also emailed oscars Office
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Success story

Just wanted to post this story for those worried about a lost item, as one data point about the system sometimes working...

FWIW, had a UA Lost and Found success story earlier this month. Left my laptop on an SFO-ORD flight and didn't discover the loss until about five hours later while on a very long layover in ORD before going on to FRA and then DUB on LH. The staff at the Polaris Lounge made a call or two for me, but the relevant offices were closed by that time. Also went back to the gate, to no avail.

Filed the form online with the link the Polaris Lounge staff gave me. Got an email and/or text confirming that UA had received the form, along with a confirmation code number for follow-up. Then, about 24 hours later, got an email and text notifying me that it had been found. At some point in this process I confirmed I'd pay the $15-20 it cost to ship to my home and provided my cc info. The laptop was delivered back to my home, where a friend was staying, within a few days.

One additional piece of info, FWIW: The UA L and F form asked for the serial number of the laptop, which I didn't have. I either didn't fill that in or entered something like Not Available just so the space would not be blank. I did provide as much other identifying info as I could. The lack of serial number didn't prevent UA from returning the laptop to me.
Xyzzy and jackal like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
... One additional piece of info, FWIW: The UA L and F form asked for the serial number of the laptop, which I didn't have. ....
One suggestion for the future, I always take a quick photo of any new significant purchase to get the name and full model number and a reminder how to describe it PLUS a pic of the SN plate. The file these pics into a folder for future access. Takes less than a minute. Rarely ever need access to the info but when you do it makes the habit worth it.

Glad it worked out even without the SN.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
United Found my Lost Item!

Easy to complain about United, but they managed to track down my Kindle that I foolishly left on a plane nearly two months ago. I filed a lost claim the next day and after a few weeks went by lost hope, but last week got a call from United saying they found it. They shipped it to me for free and it arrived at my house bubble wrapped and in perfect condition and with all the contents of the case there too. Amazing customer service and maybe gives some hope to people that lost items even if a fair amount of time has gone by.
neo_781, jsloan, GRB051111 and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.