Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA's generic Report lost items

Since some "Lost and Found" are operated by the airport operator, check the airport's official website for contact information
Print Wikipost

UAL Lost and Found?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska Gold 75k, Marriott Amb
Credit where credit is due - United Lost items

A couple of weeks ago I had a quick sea-den-mco-ord-sea loop where I left my Amazon Kindle Oasis somewhere. by the time I realized I didn't have it, the ord-sea leg, I gave it up for gone. However, a couple of days ago a nice fellow named Joshua Castillo from United's' lost article group contacted me telling me he had it and i'd left it on the mco-ord flight. The nice thing was he didn't even know I was a Global Services member until I said it later.

The odd other part here is this is the second time I've lost that Kindle on a United flight this year and it's come back to me. I left it on a lax-mel flight in February.

So either I have strong magnetism to my favorite Kindle or United are overachieving in this area. I'm guessing it was the latter & thanks, Joshua...

/iain
jsloan and Kannai like this.

Last edited by iainmc; Nov 21, 2018 at 4:39 pm Reason: per FT rules, posting personally identifiable info of non-exec individuals is not allowed
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It pays to tape a business card or a tag to anything you might leave behind.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I have accidentally left my Kindle all over the world and somehow it always finds its way home. The one item I consistently lose...
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Never got my Nook Glowlight back but I think it dropped out of my jacket at HNL last Christmas, not the UA flight.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA1P
UA Lost and Found - laptop with a good ending

This is the first time I've said something positive about UA since before the Glenn Tilton days. UA has been on my personal 'do not fly' list for many years. Although due to pricing and routing, I occasionally do fly them. I flew to CVG to SFO on December 20th and stupidly left my Apple MacBook Pro behind. I filled out the online form. After a few days of reading depressing Flyertalk experience with UA Lost & Found, I gave up. Low and behold about 72 hours later it made it's way back to SFO where I picked it up. Amazing. Kudos to UA.

My guess is including the serial number in my report made an immediate positive match when they entered it into the system as the laptop had no other identifying information (stickers, business card, etc.). Most items don't have serial numbers so it's hard to make a match of "black sunglasses with scratch on lens."
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Nice! I left my wallet on an LAX > EWR flight recently and I had it about 5 days later. Took them 48 hours to find it but they got it to me quickly.

$60 cash was taken but I was just glad I didn’t have to go to the DMV
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:56 am

Lost Book

Hi all,

I inadvertently left a book with sentimental value behind on a flight yesterday. In my effort to help a woman get her bags out of the overhead bin, I put it on top of the bulkhead wall in front of seat 8D below the overhead bin and forgot to pick it up as I was attempting to clear the aisle quickly. I already submitted a lost and found request, but wanted to reach out here to see whether there is any other course of action I can take. The flight was United 697 and was on aircraft number 3123, a 757-200. The plane continued on to SFO as flight 800 and is heading back to EWR today as flight 577, if this information is helpful. Any advice would be much appreciated. I apologize if there is a consolidated thread for this, but I hope that starting a new thread would give this greater visibility and hopefully reunite me with my book. Thank you all for your help!

AQ
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
They're pretty good at retrieving items:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t-onboard.html
https://www.chargerback.com/ReportLo...ustomerid=2474

Best of luck to you in getting the book back!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; WN A-List; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; National EE
United Retreived My Left Behind IPad!

In my zombie state, I left my iPad Pro with keyboard in the seat back pocket when deplaning UA 379 (IAH-STL) on Friday night. I didn't discover it was missing until this morning (Monday) when I opened my backpack. I filed a claim via the website this morning and by 6pm tonight they contacted me by email, phone, and text to let me know I could pick it up at the STL Baggage Claim office.

I figured it was long gone -- there was no self identifying information on the device. Huge kudos to the UA staff in STL for their diligence and honesty!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: air new zealand
Just want to try some luck in here then .

I was on the flight UA836 seat 8L PVG-ORD on 26th Feb .

Like others I was tired for 13 hours flow left my $12000 camera with on board headphone in the seat side locker .

when I realized that I was already on board to CVG .

After landed in CVG went baggie cilm that they indicate me do Chargeback which is I did it .

until now has been 5 days gone , I have received 2 email said noting found .

I also did digging that the aircraft went maintenance in ORD stay overnight and next day ferried to EWR then ERW - BRU .

So that means in theory , it was found and removed from the aircraft in Chicago by the crew or cleaners .

Just wondering who is rule to take those on board headphone back , is the crew or clearer ? Because it’s international flight is the lost items send it to theboard control or Terminal 1 lost and found ? How long does it keep in ORD and send to Houston ?

I am asume that the camera is gone but still want give it try in here .

I will keep updates here .
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: UA
I left my iPad mini in a seat back pocket on a flight that arrived in the very early hours of Saturday morning, I filed a report a couple of hours later when I arrived home and realized I'd left it behind.
On Sunday ~noon I got email saying they'd found it, with the option to either pick it up, or have it mailed for $16.
So, I'm very pleased that it was found after my carelessness - and thanks to United!

I didn't have my name/number on the iPad, but I did have a fairly distinctive sticker on the case which may have helped.
onthesam likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle
I am an idiot and left my 13" macbook pro in the seatpocket of my August 20 SAN-SFO flight. I got a CPU so it fit entirely into the seatback pocket of the seat in front of me.

I realized I left it when I got home and filed a report via "chargerback" the next morning. Give a detailed description including specific stickers on it and serial number. Set "Lost Mode" via apple icloud website.

Called 1K Line (they connect me to lost luggage) and then SFO to check - polite but no joy.

2 days pass, one more phone check-in as above. No Joy.

It's a work laptop, so I change "lost mode" to "Erase My Computer" because there is confidential material. There is an option to set a message if Erase mode is triggered - I add my google voice number and email with a request to contact me.

Time passes.

September 9. Get a notification from apple that the "Erase Computer" event has been triggered. (This happens when someone turns on the computer in range of wifi)

I call united again. No item.

September 17. Receive email notification from Chargerback that my laptop has been found (2 days before the 30-day expiration of the L&F service). In Houston.

Paying 25 bucks for shipping, glad to get it back and that I don't have to explain why I was an idiot and need a new laptop.

It all seems a little fishy...but I will take getting it back over not getting it back, hands down.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Countermeasures....

After two left iPads (got one back, the other one gone forever), I now create a location reminder for every airport I will be arriving when I check in that says "Remember Ipad!". As soon as we land, and I take my phone out of airplane mode, I get that reminder. This has been helpful.
SFO 1K and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Ambassador, IHG Spire Elite + Kimpton Inner Circle, AA Gold
A bit over a week into my adventure with lost and found to track down an iPad. Every day that goes by, I fear I’m less likely to get it back despite that it was found by the gate agent and they called me to arrange pickup the next day, which didn’t come to be.

It shouldn’t be hard to match, my phone number and FF# is on the screen (when powered on). In hindsight I would have added my name and address, but I was in a bit of a panic to mark it lost while it was still in WiFi range (it worked, and it’s how I got the call originally).

a couple of questions
Does anyone know how the process works for Houston corporate lost and found?
- Do they batch process items (I.e. Tuesday is iPad day?)
- how do the lost items get to IAH? Air cargo or ground shipping? (This influences my expectations for how long it will take)
- do they power on devices (and charge if necessary) for lost and found matching?
- how long did it take for others here to recover stuff from Houston? (I’m inspired by the laptop story above... two days before the 30 day cutoff)
- if I update my lost report or file a new report with the full information, does it improve my chances? (I’ve already added everything I can on it including serial, etc)

background
Left an iPad onboard and it was recovered by gate agent when I arrived at DEN on Jan 16th. I realized I had lost it when I was nearly home and marked it as lost on “find my” with a note to return to United, lost and call me with my f frequent flier number so they can identify me.

I got a call from the gate agent from a United Airlines number and I arranged to pick it up the next day; they would keep it in the managers safe. When I got there the next day, it was gone. Since then, nobody can really tell me for sure what happened to it. The GS team actually had a record that it was recovered, but didn’t grab it from the gate agent since we had already been in touch. Gate agents said safe was swept the next day. Lost and found guy says he ships everything to Houston. GS line says hopefully Houston finds it. (?!?)
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Originally Posted by k_den
- if I update my lost report or file a new report with the full information, does it improve my chances? (I’ve already added everything I can on it including serial, etc)
i have left several iPads on planes. Got a couple back
and a couple lost forever. My personal experience has been, if you do not get it within the first 24 hours, the chances of ever seeing it again degrade rapidly.

While I understand it is not possible in all cases, my protocol is to go to the airport immediately when I realise it is gone, and do not take “we cannot get it” for an answer.

I do not know about your situation, but my experience is it is the rarest of occasions when anyone does more than the most minimal effort to reunite a device with its owner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.