Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joder
So the upgrade page for MileagePlus lists upgrade window for silver as day of departure. When looking at the reservation and hovering over CPU requested under manage reservation, it says as soon as 24 hours before departure. I'm guessing they just forgot to update this and it is now day of departure?
the ‘day of departure’ terminology isn’t new - it’s been there for just about ever. He window has always been T-24, though the sweeps often run a little after - I’m used to around 5 minutes or so, but a couple of weeks ago, it was 20 minutes after the T-24 world Dow.

Thanks for confirming. I'm about to find out for my flight tomorrow, however, R space went from 1 -> 0 overnight. That isn't a good sign. F didn't change at all though.

Edit: At T-24, F3 and R0. Upgrade cleared around 15 minutes after OLCI. F is now at 1. Looks like someone bought up on the other spot (no one else in the U/G list and I was the only seat in E+).
Fare classes go up and down all the time. Not odd behavior. Not sure what time you actuallly checked in, but like I said, the sweep sometimes runs a little after the window.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Fare classes go up and down all the time. Not odd behavior. Not sure what time you actuallly checked in, but like I said, the sweep sometimes runs a little after the window.
Also, there's no longer any correlation between R space and CPUs. UA will sometimes open R space but hold back all CPUs to the gate, and since they're no longer displaying passengers who've upgraded prior to the gate, there's no way to tell if lots of people have already been upgraded or nobody has.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Also, there's no longer any correlation between R space and CPUs. UA will sometimes open R space but hold back all CPUs to the gate, and since they're no longer displaying passengers who've upgraded prior to the gate, there's no way to tell if lots of people have already been upgraded or nobody has.
Interestingly enough 3 of us were on the same PNR. I split it up about a week before the flight as I have silver and one other has plat. I kept the no status companion with the plat of course. They were confirmed at T-72 and I believe F 5 was the case at that point. They did not show on the upgrade list after check-in. I got my CPU after check-in and I did show up on the list.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They did not show on the upgrade list after check-in. I got my CPU after check-in and I did show up on the list.
Sorry, yes, that's what I should have said. People who get upgraded after check-in appear on the cleared list. People who get upgrade before check-in don't (anymore). Glad you cleared though. ^
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Picked up two upgrades this Tuesday. The 5:45 AM BOS-IAD 739 where I cleared at about 15 hours out and the 8:35 AM IAD-AUS 738 where I was pulled from Y up to F. I'm now 4/16 this year which is way better than I expected to be.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm a recent returnee to United, Silver status. Been a while since I've booked a UA flight...

If I book a single PNR with 4 passengers on it, myself + 3 non-elites, will I be able to select two E+ seats at OLCI? Will I be automatically on the upgrade list for myself plus one person?

Or just I book two PNRs with two people each? (Giving up the baggage allowance for 2 people is not a problem for us. The flight is empty enough that the non-elite itin would still get seats together.)
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm a recent returnee to United, Silver status. Been a while since I've booked a UA flight...

If I book a single PNR with 4 passengers on it, myself + 3 non-elites, will I be able to select two E+ seats at OLCI? Will I be automatically on the upgrade list for myself plus one person?

Or just I book two PNRs with two people each? (Giving up the baggage allowance for 2 people is not a problem for us. The flight is empty enough that the non-elite itin would still get seats together.)
With a 4 person PNR, you will need to call about the E+ access and you will not be eligible for CPU.
If split into 2 x 2 passenger PNRs, you will be able to do the E+ (at check-in) and be eligible for CPU.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:00 pm

My upcoming flight with a layover in ORD shows the flight from YYZ as CPU eligible but the connecting flight does not have the same CPU notification/availability. Does this mean I will not be CPU eligible for the second leg of the international flight? What about E+, still available on the second flight pending availability at T-24?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by an1030
Does this mean I will not be CPU eligible for the second leg of the international flight?
What's the destination? There are no CPUs for longhaul flights.

What about E+, still available on the second flight pending availability at T-24?
Yes.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
What's the destination? There are no CPUs for longhaul flights.

Yes.
It is UA895 (ORD->HKG). Coming in from YYZ.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is UA895 (ORD->HKG). Coming in from YYZ.
OK, that's the explanation then. That flight isn't CPU-eligible, but you should still have access to E+. Have a great trip.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
With a 4 person PNR, you will need to call about the E+ access and you will not be eligible for CPU.
If split into 2 x 2 passenger PNRs, you will be able to do the E+ (at check-in) and be eligible for CPU.
Great, thanks. Will book as 2x2.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
What about E+, still available on the second flight pending availability at T-24?
Free E+ will be available on all segments at check in. For your segments that are not within T-24, so ORD-HKG if checking in at T-24, on the seat selection map, it will show you prices as if it will charge you, but after selecting and confirming the new seats, it won’t charge you - you’ll know that because there won’t be a screen asking for your card.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe

Free E+ will be available on all segments at check in. For your segments that are not within T-24, so ORD-HKG if checking in at T-24, on the seat selection map, it will show you prices as if it will charge you, but after selecting and confirming the new seats, it won’t charge you - you’ll know that because there won’t be a screen asking for your card.
Yep, when I check in for my flight from YYZ I will keep an eye out for my ORD->HKG flight to see if I can grab the E+ seats too. Saw a lot of posts earlier in this thread about that. Just wanted to confirm how the CPUs worked as I only saw the CPU icon for the first segment only.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:59 pm

My SO is united silver but i am not. If i book award tickets foe the two of us with her as my companion, do we get economy plus seating selection within 24h of departure? Or is it only if the SO is the one who booked the ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.