Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
It's good news that you are United Silver and also good news that you are originating in Canada. That means that at check-in time (T-24) for your first flight you'll be able to get E+ seats for your long haul flight. There should be availability at that time (remember to check in at that time as you will be competing for those E+ seats with the other Silvers). I seem to remember that some FTer said that the system was showing a price for the seat in E+ for the long haul but after you click on it it should not charge you anything (it is complimentary for Silvers at check-in and for higher status at ticket purchase).

My experience on flights to Asia is that a lot of passengers don't choose their seats or get assigned one until check-in. Maybe they buy their tickets through a travel agency or a consolidator?

Yes, $400 is a lot of money and even worse is that usually there's a return flight that is another $400.

I forgot to add that once you have secured your E+ seats, if these are not your preferred seats, keep checking the seat map as there may be some passengers that are waitlisted for upgrade to Polaris Business. And those upgrades may clear. You can even get a bulkhead like that.
Thanks! Do you know (from what I read, seems like a yes) whether or not when I check in, I could also get the upgrade for the second passenger on our itinerary at the same time to keep us together, if possible?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by an1030
Thanks! Do you know (from what I read, seems like a yes) whether or not when I check in, I could also get the upgrade for the second passenger on our itinerary at the same time to keep us together, if possible?
Again, best not to call it an "upgrade" to avoid confusion, but yes, you will be eligible for E+ for yourself and a companion.

To judge your likelihood of finding two seats together, keep an eye not only on your seat map but also on the seat maps for that flight on the same day of the week at the time when you'd check in. Example: if you're flying on a Friday flight, check the seat map for this Friday's flight at about the same time tomorrow (Thursday) as you'd be checking in. then do the same thing next week, etc.

If you were flying ORD-HKG tomorrow, checking in right now, you'd have a selection of 13 sets of 3 empty E+ seats together, plus a few additional pairs.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Again, best not to call it an "upgrade" to avoid confusion, but yes, you will be eligible for E+ for yourself and a companion.

To judge your likelihood of finding two seats together, keep an eye not only on your seat map but also on the seat maps for that flight on the same day of the week at the time when you'd check in. Example: if you're flying on a Friday flight, check the seat map for this Friday's flight at about the same time tomorrow (Thursday) as you'd be checking in. then do the same thing next week, etc.

If you were flying ORD-HKG tomorrow, checking in right now, you'd have a selection of 13 sets of 3 empty E+ seats together, plus a few additional pairs.
Bad habit re: upgrade!

What do all those empty seats mean though, a lot of customers have unassigned seats or they are just unsold? I can't imagine the plane being that empty, ever?!

Later in the year for ORD-HKG (UA895) it would depart Thursday so this could potentially mirror what I may see (of course, timing/seasons are everything).
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by an1030
What do all those empty seats mean though, a lot of customers have unassigned seats or they are just unsold? I can't imagine the plane being that empty, ever?!
Likely the former. People who do not have status and do not wish to pay for E+ cannot select a a seat when E- is full, so they get a seat assignment at the gate. This may be an E+ seat -- or it may be a seat in E- when somebody cancels, somebody buys E+ during check-in, a silver checks in, etc.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Haven't posted here in awhile. I'm 4/16 for upgrades this year. No trouble getting E+ on all other flights.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I seem to remember that some FTer said that the system was showing a price for the seat in E+ for the long haul but after you click on it it should not charge you anything (it is complimentary for Silvers at check-in and for higher status at ticket purchase).
I haven't taken a connecting flight in a while and UA's IT systems change frequently. But, in prior times, when the first leg was within T-24 and the second leg was not, the system would say that I was only allowed one companion in E+ for free and had to pay for the rest (even though I was the only traveler) and would show me a price when trying to pick E+ on the second leg. Once I choose to confirm the seat, the system would just keep me in as assigned without asking for payment. So, if it happens to you, keep going through the motions and you should get through without a charge.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by prometa
I haven't taken a connecting flight in a while and UA's IT systems change frequently. But, in prior times, when the first leg was within T-24 and the second leg was not, the system would say that I was only allowed one companion in E+ for free and had to pay for the rest (even though I was the only traveler) and would show me a price when trying to pick E+ on the second leg. Once I choose to confirm the seat, the system would just keep me in as assigned without asking for payment. So, if it happens to you, keep going through the motions and you should get through without a charge.
this is also what just happened to me, though outside of check in. Used the normal seat selection tool within T-24 of first segment, but more than T-24 from second, and went to change seats without checking in because I didn’t want to have to choose to split the record, and there were no E+ seats to go to in my first segment anyway. Showed the price for each seat (which by the way, was like 50% less than I’d been offered anytime in my reservation, but I digress), but when I confirmed, rather then going to a payment change, it just made the seat changes.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:03 am

What happens when you have 3 tickets and 2 silver members on the same booking and you try to upgrade to E+ during online check in?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by r3cycle19
What happens when you have 3 tickets and 2 silver members on the same booking and you try to upgrade to E+ during online check in?
You select E+ tickets for all three. You shouldn't have any issues, as long as one of the Silver members is primary.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:17 pm

awesome
thanks for the response
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:54 am

So the upgrade page for MileagePlus lists upgrade window for silver as day of departure. When looking at the reservation and hovering over CPU requested under manage reservation, it says as soon as 24 hours before departure. I'm guessing they just forgot to update this and it is now day of departure?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by joder
So the upgrade page for MileagePlus lists upgrade window for silver as day of departure. When looking at the reservation and hovering over CPU requested under manage reservation, it says as soon as 24 hours before departure. I'm guessing they just forgot to update this and it is now day of departure?
I've recently received upgrades right at the 24-hour mark.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I've recently received upgrades right at the 24-hour mark.
Thanks for confirming. I'm about to find out for my flight tomorrow, however, R space went from 1 -> 0 overnight. That isn't a good sign. F didn't change at all though.

Edit: At T-24, F3 and R0. Upgrade cleared around 15 minutes after OLCI. F is now at 1. Looks like someone bought up on the other spot (no one else in the U/G list and I was the only seat in E+).

Last edited by joder; Aug 21, 2018 at 1:42 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Silver CPU window is T-24. I agree on your other theory -- it's becoming normal for UA not to CPU past 2 empty F seats.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
It seems CPU is harder and harder to process on certain routes, and not just Silver, but other elites as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.