Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by lokkju
That seems to be what's going on, but it doesn't exactly match their benefit statement...

Hmm; it's too late for me to try this time, but I'll try that next time; It's possible that it displays a price, and shows a button that says "proceed to payment", but won't actually charge me. It just seems unlikely.
Originally Posted by fumje
I believe that is the way it has worked for a while — that it does sometimes display a price and say 'proceed to payment' but then proceeds to finish check-in without payment. However, it is possible something has changed, in which case my description is outdated.
I don't have any flights to check right now, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a screen (doing this on dekstop, not mobile) that specifically says something to the effect of "it will show prices when you select your seats, but you won't be charged at confirmation." I'm like 99.99% sure I've seen that message when checking in on my computer instead of my phone.

Originally Posted by elperro
Think about it this way - if you have a flight going AAA-BBB-CCC then the Silver elites on the BBB-CCC segment can't select an E+ seat until 24 hours, so the passenger traveling on AAA-CCC cannot either. It's unfair to those originating in BBB who are entitled to the same benefit. In this case the system is enforcing the rules correctly IMHO.
Except that's not what the benefits say. It specifically says "at check-in" not at "T-24." They're free to make the rules whatever they want, but the way they are currently you should get E+ for all the flights for that part of the itinerary. (And that's how it actually works.)
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I have always ignored the fact that it says there is a fee for the second flight and selected my e+ seats. I've never been charged.

This is a bug. If 2nd leg is more than 24 hours away it looks like it will charge but doesn't. First time it happened I called and they moved me. Next time I just clicked and it worked.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Silver
I know the question has been answered, but, I'll reassure you that you WON'T pay for that second leg. Just continue the process of checking in and select your E+ seats (if there are any). You won't be charged.

It only seems unfair if your flight originates in a hub city.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:50 pm

So with my flight in October, having to layover in Chicago before flying international, I can check in 24 hours prior and upgrade the first segment (pending availability) at no charge and even though the second leg will show a price, book anyway? Is there a confirmation that shows there will be no price after picking a seat or do you book through entirely and just not get charged?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by an1030
So with my flight in October, having to layover in Chicago before flying international, I can check in 24 hours prior and upgrade the first segment (pending availability) at no charge and even though the second leg will show a price, book anyway? Is there a confirmation that shows there will be no price after picking a seat or do you book through entirely and just not get charged?
How long is the layover? If under 24 hours, you can check-in to both flights as soon as the first segment is opened for check-in.

If E+ seats are available, you would be able to select for both flights.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by an1030
If you were to actually be charged, youd see a confirm payment screen in between seat selection and confirmation. In the scenario youll be in, youll click continue to payment and the app will just confirm the change before asking for the payment method. You wont get a positive $0 receipt, but since you didnt choose a payment method United can charge you.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
How long is the layover? If under 24 hours, you can check-in to both flights as soon as the first segment is opened for check-in.

If E+ seats are available, you would be able to select for both flights.
Sorry for the delay in my response. The layover is <2 hours. Good to know, will keep an eye out for the second segment after checking in to the first.

Originally Posted by prometa

If you were to actually be charged, youd see a confirm payment screen in between seat selection and confirmation. In the scenario youll be in, youll click continue to payment and the app will just confirm the change before asking for the payment method. You wont get a positive $0 receipt, but since you didnt choose a payment method United can charge you.
Okay, I guess I will wait a few months and find out! Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
E+ seat selection at check in - does it have to be via online/mobile checkin

first time as a silver in about 10 years, so not quite familiar with selecting an E+ seat at checkin - always been able to do that when booking a ticket.

Does the seat selection have to be done while checking in, or can it be done via an agent or by just changing a seat through the app at T-24. I might not be able to check in at T-24 and not many E+ options that work right now (family of 3, so need something together). I realize it probably wouldnt work for the connecting segment that way, but given there are only middles, that probably isnt going to happen anyway.

Any experiences on this?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
first time as a silver in about 10 years, so not quite familiar with selecting an E+ seat at checkin - always been able to do that when booking a ticket.

Does the seat selection have to be done while checking in, or can it be done via an agent or by just changing a seat through the app at T-24. I might not be able to check in at T-24 and not many E+ options that work right now (family of 3, so need something together). I realize it probably wouldnt work for the connecting segment that way, but given there are only middles, that probably isnt going to happen anyway.

Any experiences on this?
I think (not sure) you can select E+ at T-24 just using change seats and without doing check-in. However, you should also be able to initiate check-in, select seats through that process, and then exit at the last screen to avoid actually checking in.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:03 am

If you can change your seats at T-24, why cant you checkin then, too?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I ended checking in at T-24.

For those curious, wasnt sure I was going to be at home, with passport, and since I needed a passport scan, wouldnt have been able to get to seat selection. Since reservation wasnt coming up for check in initially, tried with seat selection and got the screen indicating its not available within 24 hours. Not sure if an agent couldve/wouldve helped.

Now hoping something we can use becomes available on the connecting flight - no 3 seats together or reasonable at the moment, and given we are traveling with a pre-schooler and lap infant, would rather be together - if thats not gonna happen in E+, itll have to be in E-
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
New Silver here (though I have *G on Aegean, I requalified back in Feb). Flying SFO-SEA.

Checked in at T-24 and snagged an E+ seat, upgrade to First cleared 5 minutes later. Not to seem churlish, but is it now possible to change the seat within the F cabin?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by typical
New Silver here (though I have *G on Aegean, I requalified back in Feb). Flying SFO-SEA.

Checked in at T-24 and snagged an E+ seat, upgrade to First cleared 5 minutes later. Not to seem churlish, but is it now possible to change the seat within the F cabin?
Sure. Just like any other time. Check the seat map. Click on whatever open seat you want.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Sure. Just like any other time. Check the seat map. Click on whatever open seat you want.
Thanks! Could not figure out a way to do it on the app. On the website, a 2 minute job. Doh.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by typical
Thanks! Could not figure out a way to do it on the app. On the website, a 2 minute job. Doh.
Go through the check-in process again from the app and you can change yur seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.