Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Starting from General Member on Jan 1, currently flying my 59th and 60th segments this year, going to cross over to Gold as soon as they post.

Was pleasantly surprised with a CPU on both (and into, and out of ORD to boot)!

Brings my CPU total as a Silver to 4/30... Next up: Gold.

Last edited by Wooglin; Nov 27, 2016 at 9:56 pm
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Wooglin
Starting from General Member on Jan 1, currently flying my 59th and 60th segments this year, going to cross over to Gold as soon as they post.

Was pleasantly surprised with a CPU on both (and into, and out of ORD to boot)!

Brings my CPU total as a Silver to 4/30... Next up: Gold.
I unexpectedly managed to make gold this year with some last-minute trips...currently sitting at 52k PQM, $12k PQD and 51 PQS...and 0 CPUs. Hub life.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Became silver in May, finished the year 5 for 12 (41.7%) for CPUs and 100% getting E+ at T-24. Remaining flights this year are in J, and will qualify for Gold.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
So I am close here and would like input from those better are calculating this than I am as a newbie at it. I am currently at ~35k for the year (silver now) and flying another IAD-MUC-TBS-MUC-IAD for work and I think it will put me over but not sure. It is booked on UA, Y class, and 3 of the legs (all but MUC-TBS even though TBS-MUC is the same metal) as UA. Flights are (UA106 at 4267miles, LH2556 at 1677 miles, UA8755, and UA 107). I don't have a value for the ticket as of yet but wondering if my silver status plus class on the 3 UA flights will get me my 15k or at least close?

thanks
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pattermj
I am currently at ~35k for the year (silver now) and flying another IAD-MUC-TBS-MUC-IAD for work and I think it will put me over but not sure. It is booked on UA, Y class, and 3 of the legs (all but MUC-TBS even though TBS-MUC is the same metal) as UA. Flights are (UA106 at 4267miles, LH2556 at 1677 miles, UA8755, and UA 107). I don't have a value for the ticket as of yet but wondering if my silver status plus class on the 3 UA flights will get me my 15k or at least close?

thanks
1. I assume you mean Y as the economy fare, not the actual fare bucket Y.
2. If so, IAD-MUC-TBS R/T will not be 15,000PQM. It will be about 10k PQM.
3. Status plays no part (except 500 mile minimums) for PQMs.

You can fly one more trip this year (IAD-SFO/SEA/PDX will just do it) if you also have enough PQD spend for Gold, or are exempted due to credit card spend.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
Originally Posted by aacharya
1. I assume you mean Y as the economy fare, not the actual fare bucket Y.
2. If so, IAD-MUC-TBS R/T will not be 15,000PQM. It will be about 10k PQM.
3. Status plays no part (except 500 mile minimums) for PQMs.

You can fly one more trip this year (IAD-SFO/SEA/PDX will just do it) if you also have enough PQD spend for Gold, or are exempted due to credit card spend.
Not arguing with your numbers but just trying to figure out your calculations. I thought I got 1.5x for being Y fare and wouldn't that give me at least 12k on the two IAD-MUC flights? And do I get UA PQMs for the one which shows as UA flight but LH metal or will both those be based upon fare cost?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat
DEN - BDL 738 tonight, whole upgrade list cleared with one J seat left over. 92 empty seats in Y.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:58 pm

Newbie Question. I am going to hit silver this month. How to I request or pick a E+ seat at t-24?

Also I am an air traffic controller so be nice
Old Dec 5, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by obmaha
Newbie Question. I am going to hit silver this month. How to I request or pick a E+ seat at t-24?

Also I am an air traffic controller so be nice
When you check in at T-24, you can choose to change your seats, and you should be able to select E+ at no charge. Sometimes the app indicates their will be a charge but when I go to the next screen I have the E+ seat and it doesn't ask for payment.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Got my first CPU of the year this past weekend as a Silver. RDU - LGA on the E170. Both the girlfriend and I cleared and the flight ended up going out with 1 seat empty in F and no one in E+.

It's not looking good for RDU - LGA at the end of the month though the LGA - RDU is looking decent. Otherwise I'll end the year with one CPU though for the most part I didn't bother playing the game this year (upfares / TODs / etc.).

As of now 100% for E+ seat of choice on relevant flights though the aforementioned RDU - LGA might change that.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Duke787
Got my first CPU of the year this past weekend as a Silver. RDU - LGA on the E170. Both the girlfriend and I cleared and the flight ended up going out with 1 seat empty in F and no one in E+.

It's not looking good for RDU - LGA at the end of the month though the LGA - RDU is looking decent. Otherwise I'll end the year with one CPU though for the most part I didn't bother playing the game this year (upfares / TODs / etc.).

As of now 100% for E+ seat of choice on relevant flights though the aforementioned RDU - LGA might change that.

I've found that even when it doesn't look good for E+, upgrades (for Gold and above) clear in time to open up E+ seating. I can usually snag one when I check in at T-24, but occasionally I've had to wait and snag one later after additional upgrades clear for others.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:07 am

Need Advice - Premier Silver

Hi all. I'm currently Gold with AA and do about 35-40 segments/year. I'm a legacy USAir guy, and found that Silver status on USAir was far superior to Gold status on AA - so the merger, like many others, has hurt me. I have Silver Premier on Untied for being Marriott Platinum, and am strongly considering making the jump to United for 2017.

The upsides I see:
-priority baggage handling (don't get that as Gold on AA)
-free upgrades (while I know it will be rare, I never get them on AA anymore)

Downside:
-Club membership is $100 more

Any thoughts you all have would certainly be appreciated. I'm specifically looking for input from folks who are Premier Silver (or have been) on United and their experience at that level. My home airport is SYR. Again, thank you and happy holidays.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PeakTek78
Hi all. I'm currently Gold with AA and do about 35-40 segments/year. I'm a legacy USAir guy, and found that Silver status on USAir was far superior to Gold status on AA - so the merger, like many others, has hurt me. I have Silver Premier on Untied for being Marriott Platinum, and am strongly considering making the jump to United for 2017.
Any thoughts you all have would certainly be appreciated. ....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...14-2016-a.html may be of some use (however most of the discussion is focused at the higher elite levels)
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
I do have to say. Finishing my first year as Silver on United (past AA Exec Plat). As of yet this year (with about 32 segments and 21K BIS miles) have not gotten any CPU. Getting E+ has been successful about 80% of the time (if I am able to check in at T-24). Have similar miles on AA too this year.

If things go as planned will make 1K next year as I will focus on United as the timings for the flights have been better. Should make it to Gold by march. Will see if my luck as Gold gets better. Though looking at the lines of people in Group 1 boarding (sometimes is 30 people).

Its a good to have E+ when you can get it. But that is the only realistic benefit. CPUs, I have not yet seen.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: United Platinum
I was Silver for most of this year - I made Gold in September.

The major perks for Silver -

E+ at check in for you and a companion
Free checked bag
Group 2 boarding (never once had to check a carry on bag)
Premier access lines at check in - this can be helpful at big UA airports like EWR & SFO
Premier security (although Pre-Check still faster)

I would not count on a single CPU - sorry

Originally Posted by PeakTek78

The upsides I see:
-priority baggage handling (don't get that as Gold on AA)
-free upgrades (while I know it will be rare, I never get them on AA anymore)

Downside:
-Club membership is $100 more

Any thoughts you all have would certainly be appreciated. I'm specifically looking for input from folks who are Premier Silver (or have been) on United and their experience at that level. My home airport is SYR. Again, thank you and happy holidays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.