Barely Making 1K

Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Barely Making 1K

I'm set to take my last trip of the year this weekend and, assuming my math is correct, I'll end the year with 100,001 PQMs. Talk about a razor thin margin! It just got me to wondering, what's the closest you've gotten to an elite threshold, either just barely making it, or just barely missing it?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GMUJD06
I'm set to take my last trip of the year this weekend and, assuming my math is correct, I'll end the year with 100,001 PQMs. Talk about a razor thin margin! It just got me to wondering, what's the closest you've gotten to an elite threshold, either just barely making it, or just barely missing it?
Not much margin for error, you should be glad they restored the flight distances after 3/3's reduction -- usually there is at least one person each year on FTer at exactly 100K -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-2p-1p-1k.html

also some discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l-options.html
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier 1K, GE/Nexus, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Plat
Who cares as long As you make it?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Continental250K
Who cares as long As you make it?
You may not, but many do (as part of the game?) or there would not be multiple annual threads on this.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Marriott lifetime Plat
It's a pass-fail test. No such thing as a "1K Lite" in my book...
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by GMUJD06
In the era of pre-3/3, as soon as you are 99501 PQM or more (119.5 PQS), UA will give you 1K for sure.

Now - no one knows.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
What do you call the guy who finishes last in medical school?

Doctor.

What do you call the guy who finishes the year with 100,001 PQM?

Old Dec 6, 2012, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Barely Making 1K

Closest I got was ,014

Good job OP
Old Dec 6, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by busyexec331
It's a pass-fail test. No such thing as a "1K Lite" in my book...
I think the "1K lite" referred more to when people qualified with double EQM offers.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PHLyer82
I think the "1K lite" referred more to when people qualified with double EQM offers.
yea but they are still 1Ks with the same benefits as those of us not eligible for those offers.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sammyindc
yea but they are still 1Ks with the same benefits as those of us not eligible for those offers.
oh yeah agreed. Just pointing out I think the term was from like 2009 when there was a swell in 1Ks because of the promotion. More power to the people who can take advantage of these promotions.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
I thought 800 over was close this year. I hit 100,080 3 years ago. I have a long track record of making it with little to spare.

For the OP - PLEASE make sure you get all 100,001 credited prior to the end of the year. You have options if your math is wrong, but not after the calendar turns.

As for the question the OP asked, the margin for barely missing it is really the trigger for a MR.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: OVER ENTITLED United 1K 2MM HHonors Diamond ICH Club Platinum Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not much margin for error, you should be glad they restored the flight distances after 3/3's reduction -- usually there is at least one person each year on FTer at exactly 100K -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-2p-1p-1k.html

also some discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l-options.html
They didn't restore all of them. IAH-EWR used to be 1415 and now is just 1400. FWIW I will make 1K with 70 miles to spare.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I am trying to make 1K this year after a few years of not flying enough. I was 1K from November 1994 through February 2008 making it each year. 2007 was a soft bump to 1K from 2006 Global Service. That said, currently have 107 segments with three coming tomorrow. I have another 6 segments next week leaving 4 segments short. I only have 3 days the following week to make the final 4 so I am hoping to secure a short work week. Hope for some luck so that I won't have to do a segment run.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by sailanacra
They didn't restore all of them. IAH-EWR used to be 1415 and now is just 1400. FWIW I will make 1K with 70 miles to spare.
Yes, and IAH-GRU is also less than it used to be. They went with what was the PMUA method of calculating mileage so some PMCO route mileage went up and some went down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.