Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I expect to still be eating cereal for a while as well. Oh well - it is healthier.
IME that runs out far earlier than the Jeff McMuffin!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by travel.flier
and CO FA's don't like overentitled 1k's.
I got the same 'tude from a CO crew when I complemented them on their service. They looked at the manifest and then razzed me for being 1K, saying that I'm not supposed to be nice. I told them, "Well, if we're going to go with stereotypes, you're a CO crew, and you're not supposed to be so attentive."

The liked that.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Just for some follow-up. The overheard conversation was because the one FA noted how many emails the other had on their phone and he said then it is hard for you to take note of emails like the "important 1k one we got today" (most sarcastic tone there). He then went on to explain that they are supposed to prioritize meals for 1k passengers now like they do for GS. But then said if there is a passenger sitting next to a GS or 1K then he just takes their order as well "because one customer isn't more important than another".
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Add me to the +1^ category and maybe (n.b. maybe) COdbaUA is starting to see the light that status DOES mean something-and with that, could reverting back to a boarding process that worked be far behind?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Good news, but it would be better news if my upgrades would clear as often as they did before 3/3/2012!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SF1K
"because one customer isn't more important than another".
Sounds like the normal line from a CO FA...

Originally Posted by goalie
Add me to the +1^ category and maybe (n.b. maybe) COdbaUA is starting to see the light that status DOES mean something-and with that, could reverting back to a boarding process that worked be far behind?
Next up is the return to Apollo
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by river_rower
The FA on my flight from IAH to DEN did this, about two weeks ago. I was shocked, she came back to 3F or something and took my order first, looked right past the guy sitting next to me in the aisle.
I was on a pmUA flight 11/17 SFO-ORD, and the purser did not take meal orders back to front or front to back - instead, she roamed around the cabin. I guess she started early.

I don't care if it is a giveback, I'm happy to see it. ^
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM, Global Entry, RCC LIFETIME (pd $2k in '90)), HH GOLD, Pan Am Clipper Club Lifetime
Earlier this week (LAX/EWR) FA taking meal orders addressed all F pax by their first name. That was a refreshing change since it was the beginning of the holiday rush and it set the tone for an intimate gathering. Also, FA mentioned to me that the manifest indicted that I fly a lot. Since this was a sCO crew I was floored that my loyalty was finally recognized.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
+2

And I can go back to 6 C/D! ^
Wait... don't you mean 6 E/F? Or is it M/N?

In any case, I'll see you over there... but save the 6 right aisle seat for me!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by golfingboy

Don't get me wrong, it is a plus for me for selfish reasons, but I have seen some customers act like DYKWIAs when it comes to ordering meal such as refusing to give second choice or fully expecting to get his/her first choice as 1K. If they don't then they get mad and they will not get a skykit like they used to in the past. The FAs should not have to be in that position having to deal with someone with an inflated ego who expects to have what he/she wants only to be upset that other customers are more important.
My experiences have been opposite. I've attempted to deflect my choice when sitting in the front row saying 'whatever is easiest for you' and been told to just choose one. Alternatively, on PS flights, it's been a looooong time since they've asked me a second choice, even though I'm ready to give it.

Originally Posted by robbeck1
Poor thing.

“...What I want is those people to either change or leave.” Mr. Smisek in yesterday's NY Times.
Funny SMI/J alot of us think the same about you!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Can confirm this policy starts today!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Big ^ with this policy change!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Two days ago on the ORD-FRA, the FA taking my order as "What would I ike for dinner?" And then said to the effect I would get it. The woman beside me he asked for her first and second choice. She looked puzzled. I explain that I was a 1K and said cool.

I was very pleased that we had returned to the old system. Now I can return to my favorite seats on certain planes.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA2MM AND 1K, HYATT GLOBALIST, AVIS PRES CLUB.
I think prioritizing meals is ridiculous. If orders are taken from front to back, just select a seat towards the front, if this is important to you. Since upgrades are prioritized, you should have a better choice of seats the earlier you're booked in the cabin. Using a predictable seat choice method, I never missed a meal choice on CO. As a lifetime Platinum, I have plenty of "prioritized" benefits already. What's next? Prioritizing the use of the toilet? Let the status game end once everyone is seated.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: 2013: UA 1K (2013: 4/7 UDU, 2012: from GM to 1K!), Global Entry
1K Meal orders to be prioritized again

Flying paid F for/on my birthday. Perhaps I can get my meal choice too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.