Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Customer Compensation Thread 2013

Old Nov 29, 12, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
I just received back a response for my request for compensation due to a 2 hour delay when united's computers went down on the 15th. Basically a form letter together with this:

"Your request for compensation is appreciated but please know we do not compensate for delays less than 4 hours. "

Anyone else hear the same thing? If that is indeed an official threshold for compensation that is solely united's fault that will be held to, that seems pretty ridiculous to me. I could see 2 hours, but 4? In the past when I flew other airlines more I've definitely been compensated for much shorter delays when they are the airline's fault. Doesn't give me any confidence in their ability to get me to where I need to go for one day meetings.
Old Nov 29, 12, 7:36 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
You may want to read UA's Contract of Carriage. Go to Rule 24 and perhaps you can find what you are looking for.

What other airlines do is not relevant. I am not sure what you want for a two hour delay. My experience over the last year is no compensation, not even a $50 e-cert.
Old Nov 29, 12, 7:51 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If delay compensation maximization is your goal, you might want to choose another airline.
Old Nov 29, 12, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Ok so rule 24 says nothing about them being obligated to provide compensation aside from lodging, which is not surprising (I read through it quickly so maybe I missed something else). Which means that it is at their discretion, again not surprising. But there's also no mention of a 4 hour threshold then, which is why I found it surprising that customer service said there was a hard 4 hour threshold for compensation.

Furthermore, in Rule 24 E) 2) a) ii: it says this "UA will re-accommodate the Passenger in the same class of service on the next available flight on another carrier, or combination of carriers, if the length of the delay to the Passenger’s destination exceeds two hours." in regards to delays caused by united.

That suggests that if they were going to have a threshold for compensation, it would be 2 hours not 4 hours.

So you don't think a 2 hour delay deserves compensation. Fine. Does a 4 hour delay? A 12 or 36 hour delay? Or should the airline provide nothing besides a ticket refund meal and lodging, which they are obligated to provide?

Since delay compensation beyond the meal and lodging is not in the contract of carriage, it is completely relevant what both they and other airlines do, not from a legal perspective but from a customer service perspective. And there's obviously precedent of providing compensation, so I'm just trying to figure out if there's some point where united reliably provides it. (The gate agent in this case specifically said we would get compensation and should email United, so this wasn't just of my own unsolicited grubbing for compensation).

Personally anything up to 2 hours is annoying, but since I am often traveling on one day trips for specific meetings, outside of 2 hours I start missing meetings and at that point I think they should provide some additional compensation for events that are entirely their fault. If they are going to create an "official" threshold of 4 hours that isn't in the contract of carriage then that suggests they aren't particularly reliable. Not trying to maximize my delay compensation, just trying to get where I want somewhat reliably and want some acknowledgement when they mess up their entire network of their own doing.
Old Nov 30, 12, 9:43 am

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Not to hijack the thread but I'll ask the question a different way. Flew IAD-MUC-DUS last Saturday/Sunday for a business meeting. IAD-MUC was delayed about 2 hours for mechanical problem. We pushed back, couldn't get an engine started and after about 20 minutes were pulled back to gate where we sat and sat.

FA's distributed water and pretzels. They ultimately let people get off the plane.

They made up as much time as possible in flight but we still landed late and after my connection to DUS had departed. LH put me on the next available flight, but I got there late and missed part of a meeting.

With EU rules on delays, am I entitled to anything? If so, how do I get it?
Old Nov 30, 12, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
IME, the threshold for which UA typically offers some kind of compensation is around 3 hours, though post-3/3 that is hit & miss (used to be pretty reliable: a 3+ hour delay meant an e-mail from Customer Service was waiting in my inbox upon arrival).
Old Dec 31, 12, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2013 (Compensation)

Occasionally UA has been known to pass out an apology or two for various reasons. Report them here.

For reference here is the 2012 edition: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...pensation.html
Old Jan 1, 13, 6:09 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum Ambassador, United Premier 1K
Was my compensation adequate?

All, my fiancée and I had a very interesting flight this past weekend. It was a Fri – Sunday flight and below is a brief description of what happened with my questions following it below:

1. We were booked on a flight from PHL-CMH with a connection in ORD. Depart PHL at 12:30 pm and arrive CMH at 6:30pm. During check in, we were asked if we would be interested to volunteer and take another flight for $200. We said yes and proceeded to the gate.

2. At the gate, we checked with gate agent 1 who mentioned a nonstop option from PHL – CMH (on US Airways) which would get us to our destination an hour earlier at 5:30pm and that we would be eligible for compensation if we volunteered.

3. We were called by gate agent 2 who said he may need volunteers but wasn’t sure yet but instead of having us wait, he can “preempt” us by booking us now on the US Airways flight as he may need volunteers. We said ok. However when we asked about the compensation we were told that since we would be arriving earlier, there is no compensation. We thought this was kind of weird since we were volunteering and tried pressing the issue further. He basically cut if off and said the offer to go on a nonstop and arrive earlier was the only thing he can give (plus a $10 food voucher) and it was take it or leave it. There was a huge line of people behind us at the gate so instead of arguing further, we decided to take it but call United at a later time to discuss whether this was the correct way the situation was handled.

4. We were initially told that our luggage would be moved to the new US airways nonstop flight. However, when we arrived at the US airways counter they didn’t have a confirmed ticket for us (the ticket wasn’t “pushed” over to US Airways or something like that). The US Airways agent made some calls and sorted it out but we were lucky as the flight was almost full and we almost didn’t have seats for that flight. US Airways also told us that contrary to what United said there was no luggage associated with our reservation.

5. We went back to the United counter and inquired about our luggage again and were told they couldn’t get it on the US Airways flight in time so it would arrive as originally scheduled. Now we got a little pissed that in spite of volunteering and getting no compensation, we would now have to wait until our original flight arrived in order to get our luggage. After complaining a bit at the gate, we were given $100 vouchers each. I still stated that I felt this wasn’t enough as the amount stated on check in was $200 for volunteering. The United agents pretty much said that’s all we will get for our inconvenience.

6. Our US Airways flight gets canceled due to crew unavailability. There were no available non stops available for the rest of the day. We go back to United and tell them to find us a way to CMH. We even suggested an 8pm nonstop from EWR and we would make it to EWR on our own. The supervisor initially agrees to this but mid way while booking our flights says “Looks like they booked you guys on the Chicago flight which leaves right now (5pm) at this gate right next to us. Run, they are closing their doors”. Before we could say anything or protest (and perhaps we should have), we were herded on the ORD flight with a later connection to CMH arriving at 11:30pm.

7. We arrive in ORD but find out that our CMH connection is delayed by over 4 hours (due to mechanical issues) and now we won’t arrive into CMH until close to 4am! This would totally not work as rental counters are not open that late and it was a totally inconvenient time to arrive (we were visiting family). We push United to book us on an AA flight which left at 8:30 pm and got into CMH around 10:30pm. So basically 4 hours after our original flight.

8. During the return flight from CMH-IAD-PHL, the CMH-IAD segment was delayed due to mechanical issues as well and we would have missed our IAD-PHL connection. We were rebooked on a direct US Airways and did end up getting home earlier.

My questions here are:

A. Is $100 compensation adequate considering all this started with a VDB, the airlines inability to get our luggage with us, the way it was all handled and all the delays and cancelations, none of which were related to weather or ATC?

B. I am eligible to get all my miles from my original itinerary as I really need all 4 segments to re-qualify for my elite status?
Old Jan 1, 13, 6:16 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
There was no VDB

When you accepted an offer to "preempt" (or whatever they said) and book away from United, you gave up the possibility of VDB status. I don't think arriving earlier matters; I've gotten a fair number of VDB credits in the past that got me to my destination earlier, not later. You only get VDB when it comes down to needing victims (an actual oversold situation at flight time), not ahead of time. It would be awesome if otherwise, but that's just not the way the system works. Slick agent there, with that "preempt" move. He may have thought he was doing you a favor, but he certainly knew at the time that it wouldn't involve a VDB (and didn't tell you or expected you to know?).

The rest of the stuff makes my head spin; USAir might owe you something regarding the cancelled flight, but not UA. But UA might give original routing credit, if you explain how things went down.
Old Jan 1, 13, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1- its very true if they can get you to your Destination earlier then you would have they need not give you anything!Especially if they are FIMing you before boarding is complete.

That said when they hit me with that I simply answered OK I will stick with my original routing, they then offered a $200 voucher I said , I guess you didnt hear me I have no problems flying on my tkted flights and will do so , so please print the tag for my checked bag. She walked away came back a few mins later and said You win we need your seat and $400 it will be

2- Once You AGREED to whatever the offer was thats it anything after that with the exception if they just offered another person more who is in a similiar sit as you then they should match that , but honestly thats usually Only happenin at the Gate. otherwise its SOL

3- Once you were sent to US you now became tehir problem as long as you were in fact tkted for that flight and UA need not deal with You again till your return flight if there was 1. Its now USs Problem to get you to CMH and yes if UA agrees they can FIM you back to UA.But once US accepted you,you no longer had a UA tkt but a US tkt. Could be UA has ways to CX all the FIMing but US would have to return the tkt back over to them and I believe you would ahve to Agree to that.

4- the rest is a commedy of errors and UA may throw a small bone your way but dont expect much and no they dont owe you the $200 VDB. Once they said no VDB you could have told them as I did above Thanks but No Thanks instead you ACCEPTED their terms. taht ends that unfortunately

sometimes things go very smoothly other times it all hits the fan at once, unfortunately for you it all hit at once
Old Jan 3, 13, 9:51 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold/UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
Compensation for downgraded service, cancellations, etc.

12/21 IAD-NRT, last minute substitution of an old 777 for a new one. In C, so barcalounger instead of lie-flats. Perfectly nice flight, good service, etc but this product cannot compete with UA's own better planes and everyone else flying to Asia in new/upgraded metal. Sent a note to customer service via website saying so. Got a nice reply, with the offer of a credit or miles, as we've discussed previously on this board. FYI it's possible that my note wasn't even read, though - wife got same email/offer and she didn't send a note to CS.

1/2 NRT-IAD UA 804 cancelled. got an email approx one day early with notification. UA had rerouted me, but the flights they put me on were actually physically impossible to achieve. after 45 minutes on phone, arranged the only itin they would give me to keep me in C (on the long leg), NRT-SEA-IAD. So, instead of a lie-flat 777 12 hour trip, it was a barcalounger, long layover, sit in Y (at least there was an exit row seat left for me) 17 hour trip. Perfectly fine service but not what I expected/think i paid for. so, questions:
1) used miles and copay on these itins. for return leg, am i entitled to any mile or dollar refund? I paid for upgrade for a nonstop all the way home in C, and didn't get that.
2) regardless of answer to above, what if any compensation might you request for the change in return?

thanks for any thoughts.
Old Jan 3, 13, 9:56 am

Sounds like you got comp for 12/21 already...1/2 flight seems like similar situation (a tad worse), so it should be a similar solution, no? Send an email, see what happens?
Old Jan 3, 13, 2:32 pm

Compensation for broken lie-flat seat

During an 8 hour red-eye international flight I had a broken seat. I brought it to the attention to the flight crew and they literally spent 10 seconds dealing with the problem (they pushed the recline button for me). They told me there was nothing more they could do and walked away. I kind of was scratching my head as they didn't even offer an apology (could this be due to the fact that this was an award flight?).

I tried to ask for more help and they told me that there has been a ticket issued on the flight before it that the seat was not functioning, and that they were going to issue another ticket. They told me my only course of action was to email United about the problem.

I've seen a few other threads with somewhat similar problems, but was wondering what the best course of action is. I'm upset for two main reasons: 1) Not having a seat to sleep in since I have a hard time sleeping sitting up and having to stay awake during a red-eye flight. 2) The fact that there was a ticket already issued and knowledge that the seat was broken that they decided to fill the seat knowing this. The person next to me had been upgraded into first. Is this the regular MO for an airline? To fill the seat even if it is functioning?
Old Jan 3, 13, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
During an 8 hour red-eye international flight I had a broken seat. I brought it to the attention to the flight crew and they literally spent 10 seconds dealing with the problem (they pushed the recline button for me). They told me there was nothing more they could do and walked away. I kind of was scratching my head as they didn't even offer an apology (could this be due to the fact that this was an award flight?).

I tried to ask for more help and they told me that there has been a ticket issued on the flight before it that the seat was not functioning, and that they were going to issue another ticket. They told me my only course of action was to email United about the problem.

I've seen a few other threads with somewhat similar problems, but was wondering what the best course of action is. I'm upset for two main reasons: 1) Not having a seat to sleep in since I have a hard time sleeping sitting up and having to stay awake during a red-eye flight. 2) The fact that there was a ticket already issued and knowledge that the seat was broken that they decided to fill the seat knowing this. The person next to me had been upgraded into first. Is this the regular MO for an airline? To fill the seat even if it is functioning?
You are definitely due some compensation and you will get a travel discount coupon if you contact UA through www.united.com/appreciation. I don't know how much. That website is designed for passengers who have been given a pamphlet on board that indicates they should visit the site to select compensation.. which is typical for major mechanical delays, etc..where the entire flight is eligible to be compensated. It probably won't recognize your specific issue when you fill out the information, but they will review your submission and get back to you.

The FA's non-apology had nothing to do with you being on an award ticket..they don't even have that info.
Old Jan 3, 13, 3:03 pm

I don't know if I want some flight voucher, I would rather be refunded my miles. To me it's not just about a non-functioning seat. I had an 12 hour layover in NYC after my flight that I had planned on going into the city. My flight left at 11:30pm so I had planned on sleeping on the flight. This is one of the few times I kind of feel justified in asking not only for what I paid back, but something extra to say sorry for my negative experience.

I feel kind of upset that there is no one directly you can talk to in person when you not only experience like this. I think it is poor customer service to tell someone the only way they can contact someone about an issue is to write an email.

If they knew ahead of time that a seat was broken, they shouldn't have upgraded to fill the entire cabin.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: