Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Customer Compensation Thread 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Customer Compensation Thread 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: united 1k
rerouting caused by mechanical delay

Hi All,

I have a question, I have a itinerary EWR-->IAD--FRA, but the due to 3 hours mechanical delay at EWR, UA reroute the trip to EWR-->FRA, which affect my original schedule. Will UA give compensation for this kind of delay? (note my final destination arrival time has not been affected, but my trip to D.C is gone).Thanks !
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:46 pm

You could presumably ask to be put on your originally scheduled itinerary the next day, thus preserving your DC trip

If you arrive within an hour or two of your scheduled arrival time, claiming any kind of compensation would be difficult and unreasonable
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:34 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
While you are not eligible for compensation, unless you were downgraded from F to C to Y+ to Y in any form, you are able to ask United for your original routing credit for miles flown.

Please contact MileagePlus with all the necessary information.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
SAN-IAD, over 3-hour crew delay resulting in misconnect and overnight stay ... offered 10% off a future flight and a free beverage.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
Was on a delayed flight from DEN-IAH...2 hours for MX. As they scanned boarding pass to board, I was handed a letter-sized piece of paper with two perforated certificates on it. One for a free alcoholic beverage and the other for 10% off a united flight. Seemed sort of lame. Has anyone else seen these things yet? I complained to 1KV about the subsequent 8 hour layover because of my misconnect and got a $150 goodwill gesture.
The drink voucher and 10% off are the regular comp. on pmCO.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by buhuffer
I have a question, I have a itinerary EWR-->IAD--FRA, but the due to 3 hours mechanical delay at EWR, UA reroute the trip to EWR-->FRA, which affect my original schedule. Will UA give compensation for this kind of delay? (note my final destination arrival time has not been affected, but my trip to D.C is gone).Thanks !
The got you there on time, so I don't see why any compensation would be due. However you can likely get yourself an extra few hundred miles by asking for Original Routing Credit - ie, the mileage for your original scheduled flights.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I have my reservation on this. But sure you can try.

As others said, you have experience no delay for your flight. So in theory, nothing is done.

But given your 3-hours delay, FWIW, you may have some business that you need to take care near IAD. So I can't say you are not affected at all.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What type of compensation are you looking for?
What was the negative impact on you by the reroute / initial delay?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: Some, not all.
No audio on LHR-IAH BusinessFirst (award flight), advised FA after take off who said it had been reported on the previous flight, but she'd inform the captain again.

Prior to landing the ISM came through asking how the flight was, advised of the audio issue and she was surprised I was not moved as there were free seats in the rear section. She was very apologetic, gave me her card with the flight details noted and told me to email united.com/feedback. I asked about a skykit and was met with a blank look.

The reply from United completely ignored any details of my email other than broken audio, even replying with: "Unfortunately, we sometimes learn about broken equipment after the aircraft has pushed back for departure". Later I received $50 travel certificate.

I emailed back to United saying that $50 was derisory as the fault was already known, I could have been reseated, and this was a 10 hours flight in a premium cabin. The response was the same as the boilerplate text Astrophsx received below.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I was offered $100 flight voucher for a broken lie flat seat in business first on an 8 hour international flight award flight

We can empathize with the disappointment you have expressed. Please understand United carefully reviews our guidelines regarding goodwill compensation annually to make sure that they are properly aligned to several determining factors. Our intentions are to find a mix of meaningful options for our customers.
[...]
I understand that our goodwill offering cannot compensate you for the undue anxiety which you experienced throughout this incident. Nonetheless, this certificate is provided as a tangible expression of our regret over what transpired when you traveled with us, and our gratitude for your interest in United Airlines.

Please know that it is our sincere desire to move forward in our business relationship with you, and we realize that you have a choice of carriers. As we have nothing else to add, we will consider this matter closed and will no longer correspond regarding this issue, but invite you to contact us again if we may address a different travel-related issue

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board a future United Airlines flight.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
I was offered a $250 e-cert b/c the AV system in BF wasn't working for some programs. Didn't bother us, as we didn't use it much - but I guess this was a planewide all-pax offer.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:10 am

Programs: UA platinum, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
Original flight: BCN-EWR-LAS, the inbound flight to BCN had a delay of 6 hours i was rerouted with lufthansa to BCN-FRA-EWR-LAS, my compensation 10000 miles.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: AY UA*G
Had four trips in the past two weeks, United lost by bags on two of the four trips. First was expected as there was a delay on my first flight and I barely made it on the second, so knew in advance my bags would not make it. Went straight to the UA baggage desk at my destination, very politely asked if compensation was available and was given a $200 voucher by the lady at the desk and told I could contact the 1P line for additional compensation (ended up getting another $100 from them). All UA metal.

Then on the return they lost two out of three bags, and the one they found was delayed getting to me. Two days later they are still searching for the other two bags. Problem is that first two flights of the return trip were UA and last was LH. At my destination, HEL, there is only an SAS rep who then handles all the LH matters, so not able to offer any immediate help/comps. Now I am still waiting on them to find my bags. Not sure if I should wait till the bags come to make a claim or when I should start making phone calls (no real rush on the bags but would be nice to get the stuff eventually). Also, not sure if I should make a claim with LH or UA? anyone have experience with this? UA ticket, first two flights on UA metal, last on LH, bags either didn't make the first UA flight (I got switched around last minute) or second UA flight (short turn around) so definitely UA's fault, but lost baggage ticket is from LH.

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that there was exponential compensation for lost bags (i.e. 2x comp for second time in short span). Can anyone confirm this? If so then I guess I should try to route the claim through UA, unless LH is more gracious (doubtful)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 21H21J
...Prior to landing the ISM came through asking how the flight was...
You must be flying too much with CX...FWIW - UA does not have the position of ISM - nothing even close

...Later I received $50 travel certificate...
UA compensates based on your status. So I am not surprised to see something like this.

FWIW - if you want more, cool down about a week and write a new email (DO NOT REPLY) to UA and explain how you are pissed off.

Then you may be able to get a second look.

Originally Posted by jugglesfire
Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that there was exponential compensation for lost bags (i.e. 2x comp for second time in short span). Can anyone confirm this?
I can confirm that it is definitely not the case - UA always emphasizes that it is a goodwill gesture. The best they can do is add an extra $100-200.

(If your baggage has been delayed, you can ask for incidental. If it is ultimately lost, you can file a claim and UA will cut you a cheque. You had $300 in total voucher in hand. It will be difficult to UA to increase more for such "non-official" compensation.)

Last edited by garykung; Jan 28, 2013 at 3:42 am
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:24 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Originally Posted by garykung
You must be flying too much with CX...FWIW - UA does not have the position of ISM - nothing even close

UA compensates based on your status. So I am not surprised to see something like this.

FWIW - if you want more, cool down about a week and write a new email (DO NOT REPLY) to UA and explain how you are pissed off.

Then you may be able to get a second look.
Well, I've got a United business card that says "International Service Manager", and the FA also wrote on the back the name of the ISM for that flight.

Thanks for the advice about a second email (and not a reply). Out of interest should I have gone to United.com/appreciation and not/feedback?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I've got a United business card that says "International Service Manager", and the FA also wrote on the back the name of the ISM for that flight.
The issue with that title is it is a pmCO title (as LHR-IAH is a pmCO route). The title itself is "Service Manager". As the route is international, so everyone can add the word "international" to that title (the FA wing will also identify that they are international certified). So FWIW - a FA served in an international route can be known as IFA...

Thanks for the advice about a second email (and not a reply). Out of interest should I have gone to United.com/appreciation and not/feedback?
Go both. Appreciation only works when the issue has been reported. Feedback is what you can get to a real person. Since your issue is ask for more. Going to a real person then. And don't hide that $50 voucher. Express how much you are pissed...(FWIW - UA is reading this...and they know who I am )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.