Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wethereyet
Directly involving themselves in a situation that was between UA and the other passenger. It's like being a tattle tale or in someway brown nosing with the crew.
It's a case of "he said, they said". If the GS complained, UA arbiters would be lucky to have a third-party observation. It's like a fender bender. If a cop was limited to the two parties involved, and one of the parties opted to lie, the cop sure would like to hear from a disinterested third-party. It isn't snitching.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Directly involving themselves in a situation that was between UA and the other passenger. It's like being a tattle tale or in someway brown nosing with the crew.
So you are saying if you saw a crime being committed you would say nothing as you would then be considered a snitch? Crime wasn't committed on you but you were witness to parts the police didn't see.

I see nothing wrong with what the OP did in telling what they saw the guy do.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:24 pm

I still don't understand how, in any way, this is like tattling.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's a case of "he said, they said". If the GS complained, UA arbiters would be lucky to have a third-party observation. It's like a fender bender. If a cop was limited to the two parties involved, and one of the parties opted to lie, the cop sure would like to hear from a disinterested third-party. It isn't snitching.
Originally Posted by Baze
So you are saying if you saw a crime being committed you would say nothing as you would then be considered a snitch? Crime wasn't committed on you but you were witness to parts the police didn't see.
That's what I believe. He didn't snitch at all as he didn't need to tell the FAs the other passenger was being a turd. They already knew.

The bad outcome is if the DYKWIA GS guy reports the FAs, they somehow get reprimanded for no reason, and he feels vindicated. Cheers to the OP for providing a third party account supported by his account.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond

Have you ever heard or said something under your breath from a FA being snippy with another passenger? Would you go running and tell the FA what they said?

No crime was committed by the guy. He was pushy and being a spolied brat but nothing worthy of getting booted from a flight.

The OP and others seem more like they WANT things to escalate. So often these things could be solved quickly with the right words by the crew but instead we get people like the OP butting in trying to amp it up even more.

I've seen some pursers do a great job of helping defuse situations as the boarding can be stress filled. And I've watched others who fail miserably at how to handle something like this.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you ever heard or said something under your breath from a FA being snippy with another passenger? Would you go running and tell the FA what they said?

No crime was committed by the guy. He was pushy and being a spolied brat but nothing worthy of getting booted from a flight.

The OP and others seem more like they WANT things to escalate. So often these things could be solved quickly with the right words by the crew but instead we get people like the OP butting in trying to amp it up even more.

I've seen some pursers do a great job of helping defuse situations as the boarding can be stress filled. And I've watched others who fail miserably at how to handle something like this.
Were you there? Do you know the exact contact which the OP interjected what they saw to the crew? Didn't think so. And your first paragraph has things backwards to the situation at hand. I saw no reports of the FA being snippy. And I have said things at times. Like on the RJ where the girl in the exit row had her roll aboard at her feet but not even close to being under the seat in front of her. Safety hazard. So I said something. FA had handled it. Do you consider me a snitch?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by UAGLOBAL
Anyways, ISM apologized profusely and Mr. GS simply responded "that's ok I'll just let them know when I get back to UA corporate offices."
Do UA execs even fly on UA? I kind of figured they'd be going private.(seems like something they're entitled to) I'm sure Smisek doesn't want to be caught next to those entitled UA FF's. Although I think it would be a dead giveaway that he wasn't an Exec when he called GS reservations instead of someone in management.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I still don't understand how, in any way, this is like tattling.
Obviously OP was running to the FA trying to give every piece of dirt they can. Issue was between the pax and crew and OP decided they wanted in on the action IMO. Not good.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously OP was running to the FA trying to give every piece of dirt they can. Issue was between the pax and crew and OP decided they wanted in on the action IMO. Not good.
Again jumping to conclusions not in evidence.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:40 pm

Seems like much of society disagrees with you.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:41 pm

Again jumping to conclusions not in evidence.
OP voluntarily went to crew.

Strawman much?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:43 pm

Strawman much?
Huh? How is this a response to Baze's comment at all.

Where is the strawman?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
^^
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card

Strawman much?
What is wrong with empathising and providing a third party account of an event during which another person is being wronged/belittled? I don't understand.

Also, the issue isn't solely between the angry GS passenger and the crew if the OP feels threatened by the passenger's hostility. If the passenger is unruly and he is directly in the line of fire, it is his problem as well.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:46 pm

Were you there? Do you know the exact contact which the OP interjected what they saw to the crew? Didn't think so. And your first paragraph has things backwards to the situation at hand. I saw no reports of the FA being snippy. And I have said things at times. Like on the RJ where the girl in the exit row had her roll aboard at her feet but not even close to being under the seat in front of her. Safety hazard. So I said something. FA had handled it. Do you consider me a snitch?
Save the snark.

I have things exactly in order. I gave the snippy FA and an example and you are improperly applying the context.

Your bag on floor example is a strawman argument = fail. Unrelated to the issue of crew/pax interaction. Try again.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Huh? How is this a response to Baze's comment at all.

Where is the strawman?
The comparison of the bag on the floor vs a pax/crew interaction is the exact definition of a strawman argument.

Originally Posted by fjfv19
What is wrong with empathising and providing a third party account of an event during which another person is being wronged/belittled? I don't understand.

Also, the issue isn't solely between the angry GS passenger and the crew if the OP feels threatened by the passenger's hostility. At that point, it becomes his problem IMO.
My point is this. So often in these cases the crew could easily get things resolved, no booting of pax, no calling the GS line, etc.

When you have OP getting up and becoming part of the action (who cares if he was calling the GS line or calling his grandmother) it just serves to make the crew even more ready to engage rather than defuse.

OP should never have been told by crew what they were doing or considering with pax. In fact they should get repriminded for it.

I tend to walk in other people's shoes and can often see cases where a FA could easily solve the pest pax issue but instead it becomes a test of wills.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 30, 2013 at 4:25 pm Reason: 3x multi-quote combo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.