Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I wish he had been kicked off the plane. What you have recounted sounds like this guy might have issues beyond DWKWIA entitlement. Maybe he was drunk and/or mentally unstable.
The questions on my mind after reading this account are: Does flying 300,000 miles a year on UA make you mentally unstable? Or do you have to be mentally unstable to fly 300,000 miles a year on UA?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by transportprof
The questions on my mind after reading this account are: Does flying 300,000 miles a year on UA make you mentally unstable? Or do you have to be mentally unstable to fly 300,000 miles a year on UA?
Or was it a big fat lie?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:41 pm

I would tend to think the latter would be more likely, but I am sure 300k miles per year on UA could easily drive one crazy!
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAGLOBAL
Ok I've been wanting to post this for a while and now that the dust has settled I think it is a good time. Anyways, I was traveling in BF a few weeks ago Europe-USA on an INTL 757. We were delayed about an hour and waiting to board. GS was called to board and I started walking up through the lane when another customer(lets call him Mr. GS) literally ran in front of me and handed his BP to the GA. I was about to say something until I glanced at his BP and saw that Mr. GS was my seatmate for the next 9 hours..so I kept quiet.

Once onboard, FA came around taking PDB orders and when she got to us Mr. GS had gone to the bathroom. I was quickly served a Diet Coke and besides the little boarding incident which was forgettable, I was ready for a nice flight. The drama began when Mr. GS returned and seeing my drink, wanted to order one for himself (totally fine). Anyways, FA serving drinks had moved on to cabin prep work and Mr. GS tried asking her for Champagne but she seemed busy and did not hear him. Finally on the second try the FA heard him and told him no problem but it would be a minute. No more than 30 seconds later still Champagne-less, Mr. GS bolts up to the front of the cabin to a different FA and loudly explains how he is a GS member, flies 300k miles a year, spends $100K, and that he has been on the plane for 6 minutes without a glass of champagne. I was shocked he would make such a scene for something so small.

Fast forward to the end of the rant, Mr. GS returns to his seat. I was really hoping some FA would deliver this man his champagne, but after another minute or so, it still was not there. Next thing I know, Mr. GS is on the phone with GS reservations and ranting to them about how he has not received a drink and how unacceptable this service is. While he was on the phone, the ISM (who was fantastic) came over and began to apologize to Mr. GS, but Mr. GS wouldn't hear it and forced the ISM to talk to GS reservations and apologize. Anyways, ISM apologized profusely and Mr. GS simply responded "that's ok I'll just let them know when I get back to UA corporate offices."

I of course knew that Mr. GS was lying and not really a UA exec, so I am just shocked at how disrespectful and inconsiderate he was. The weirdest part came next. (BTW he has Champagne at this point) Mr. GS picked up his phone, and began saying things like: "Flight Attendants: three out of ten. ISM: 2 out of 10. Ground crew: 6 out of ten." (Clearly reporting scores) I think to myself wow maybe he is talking to someone at HQ but look over and when he removes his phone from his ear it is off!! I am very iPhone familiar and 100% positive that the phone was either asleep or off and he simply made this fake phone call to try and make me think he is someone important at UA.

I see the FAs talking to the Captain and looking over at Mr. GS clearly discussing what to do with him. I go up to them and explain what I have seen and apologize on behalf of all GS for his behavior. They are all shocked and have never seen anything like this. Captain called HQ and asked if it was ok to kick Mr. GS off the plane, but HQ told him since he is a GS "only if he is a true risk to the safety of other pax and crew" can he be kicked off. Captain took down my name and info and told me that I may receive a call in the next few days to discuss what I saw for their investigation. Long story short, we took off, Mr. GS ordered a full dinner but then intentionally went to sleep right after take off, woke up on approach, and stormed off the plane upon arrival. I received a few calls from HQ the following week and simply recounted what happened...and even received an E-Cert! Overall just a crazy story I wanted to share with you guys to hear your thoughts.
The guy definitely sounds like the epitome of douchbaggery.

But a little possible correction. He may very well have been on the phone for real. The iPhone screen goes black when the phone is to your ear and you are on a call. It takes a second or 2 to come back on when you lower the phone.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 1:15 pm

OP - well done on handling this appropriately.[/QUOTE]

+1. I once saw a pax (no idea on status but presumably at least *G) give a FA crap bc pax was late to the game & there was no room left to put her spinner even though E+ but fill of biz folks. It sounded like another DYKWIA. story. Since I was in exit row on 757 by door. I heard it all. The FA was fantastic & let pax rant while maintaining a pleasant demeanor with aplomb.

Shortly thereafter I went to FA, told her she deserved a gold star, & apologized on behalf of crappy pax. The FA let out a huge sigh like someone else had just acknowledged the injustice & really the BS, & thanked me. Unexpectedly during the short flight to SFO, she gave me some fancy chocolate that I in turn gave to the Mrs., who was quite pleased with that & the story.

Btw. Though Mr GS probably deserved to be deplaned, his real punishment is way more insidious - - his existence!
Old Nov 30, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
I see the FAs talking to the Captain and looking over at Mr. GS clearly discussing what to do with him. I go up to them and explain what I have seen and apologize on behalf of all GS for his behavior. They are all shocked and have never seen anything like this. Captain called HQ and asked if it was ok to kick Mr. GS off the plane, but HQ told him since he is a GS "only if he is a true risk to the safety of other pax and crew" can he be kicked off. Captain took down my name and info and told me that I may receive a call in the next few days to discuss what I saw for their investigation. Long story short, we took off, Mr. GS ordered a full dinner but then intentionally went to sleep right after take off, woke up on approach, and stormed off the plane upon arrival. I received a few calls from HQ the following week and simply recounted what happened...and even received an E-Cert! Overall just a crazy story I wanted to share with you guys to hear your thoughts.
So you injected yourself into the situation where obvioulsy the guy was having a bad day. Seems petty to inject yourself into this situation IMO. In fact, your "add on" could actually make the situation worse.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by wethereyet:21878739
So you injected yourself into the situation where obvioulsy the guy was having a bad day. Seems petty to inject yourself into this situation IMO. In fact, your "add on" could actually make the situation worse.
Totally disagree. Everyone has bad days to ...... days to such terrible days that get remembered for a lifetime. None of these deserve mistreating others & to the degree Mr GS did.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 1:37 pm

I flew 300K - 2 years in a row, (6/7 years ago) and being analyzed by FTer's for my flying habits is something I don't need or want.

If begging for forgiveness from FA's for other passengers demeanor on your flights is something that makes you happy, GO FOR IT. The crews are trained to cope with [jerks], and being a witness, or supporting them, is great, but I simply don't understand the need to feel like we are one BIG FT police force, running around seeking atonement of others sins committed against UAL employee's.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 30, 2013 at 4:27 pm Reason: vulgar language removed
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA GS/Global Entry
Originally Posted by wethereyet
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans

Totally disagree. Everyone has bad days to ...... days to such terrible days that get remembered for a lifetime. None of these deserve mistreating others & to the degree Mr GS did.

Not defending the guy, but acting like a little snitch and piling into the situation doesn't help. In fact if the guy sees you injecting yourself it could just add to conflict. Sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs lay.....

By the poster going to the captain, it doesn't help to defuse anything and in fact may cause the crew to act when things can resolve themselves.

Ever seen the irate guy dealing with the ticket counter? If that was you would you want another customer who knows nothing about your situation going over to staff and injecting themselves into your business?
I completely understand both of your points and appreciate the input. What is hard for me to capture here is the unbelievable disrespect he showed to the crew. I originally had no plans to speak to crew, but when he started acting suspicious and making fake calls just to deceive me, I thought that it would be good for the Captain to know about it. I am not one that usually gets scared or worried about other passengers, but I really thought he was unstable and wanted the crew to be fully informed before flying with him for 9hours.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Ever seen the irate guy dealing with the ticket counter? If that was you would you want another customer who knows nothing about your situation going over to staff and injecting themselves into your business?
IMO, the big difference here is that the OP was sitting next to DYKWIA as this entire situation unfolded, so he probably had a good idea what was going on.

Originally Posted by LilAbner
If begging for forgiveness from FA's for other passengers demeanor on your flights is something that makes you happy, GO FOR IT. The crews are trained to cope with a---holes, and being a witness, or supporting them, is great, but I simply don't understand the need to feel like we are one BIG FT police force, running around seeking atonement of others sins committed against UAL employee's.
Understand your opinion and respect it. However, if somebody is trying to slander a flight crew for what appears to be no reason, it doesn't seem unreasonable for a compassionate person to want to provide an account of the situation to refute the claims of the "victim". It also doesn't seem unreasonable to empathise with someone being verbally attacked by a customer.

I am not one that usually gets scared or worried about other passengers, but I really thought he was unstable and wanted the crew to be fully informed before flying with him for 9hours.
If you felt threatened, you did well to report it for your safety and the safety of those around you. Period.

Last edited by fjfv19; Nov 30, 2013 at 2:21 pm Reason: addition
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Not defending the guy, but acting like a little snitch and piling into the situation doesn't help. In fact if the guy sees you injecting yourself it could just add to conflict. Sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs lay.....

By the poster going to the captain, it doesn't help to defuse anything and in fact may cause the crew to act when things can resolve themselves.

Could you please articulate in what way they acted like a "snitch"?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fjfv19
Some people are just that angry naturally or get angry easily and take it out on the rest of the world. Frustrated or not, this is ridiculously childish, petulant behaviour and it is inappropriate in any public forum. No sympathy here.

OP - well done on handling this appropriately.
Indeed. Several years ago I was returning to the US from Malta. I had an UG confirmed out of LHR for IAD, and a four hour layover, so I was set for a great trip, or so I thought.

First was the ground stop in Malta because AF One was in the vicinity. When we finally landed at LHR, I thought I was OK, until the bus I was on going from T4 to T3 had a flat tire in the tunnel under the field. By the time I got to the gate, just before the door was shut, they had given my UG away. I was beyond pissed and visibly upset as I boarded the plane. The Purser asked what the problem was, and I told her. She asked for my BP, stepped away for a moment, came back and said follow me. She couldn't give me a C or F seat, but she did the next best thing - she gave me a whole row, said something to the other FAs, and I got the best, most attentive service I'd ever received in coach. As I sat there and realized what an a** I'd been, I realized I had some apologizing to do. When I caught the purser later to deliver my mea culpa, she was beyond gracious, insisting I didn't need to apologize. She said her biggest headaches were the pax who couldn't be mollified no matter what.

Every time I fly now, and start to get upset about things going wrong, I remind myself of that flight and how it is never appropriate to take out my frustrations on the crew.

Originally Posted by fjfv19
Understand your opinion and respect it. However, if somebody is trying to slander a flight crew for what appears to be no reason, it doesn't seem unreasonable for a compassionate person to want to provide an account of the situation to refute the claims of the "victim". It also doesn't seem unreasonable to empathise with someone being verbally attacked by a customer.
On more than one occasion, I've reported to 1KVoice examples of outstanding employee conduct in the face of customers who are a**holes. In every case, I've received an appreciative note from someone at UA
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
I had a drunk seatmate removed forcibly from a flight at 9am after a verbal altercation with a new FA, 2 months on job.

Handled herself wonderfully, and I made a point of filling out my version of things and comment carding her positively. She was on probation employment and had a mandatory management review because police were involved in the removal....it was 9/10 ugly.

It turned out she works out one of my home stations, and I have reaped the benefits of this for 4 years now... .....she apparently alerted the whole ground crew how I stood up and I'm still greeted by name at check in.

Pretending to be an airline exec? That's DYKHEAD, not DYKWIA
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Good on you for giving the Captain your information when he/she asked ^ and if it was me and I was not asked for my information, I would have discretely at some point during the flight, volunteered my info to the f/a's involved and/or Captain as GS or not, the pax was flat out wrong and also, GS or not, the pax should have been removed from the flight
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Could you please articulate in what way they acted like a "snitch"?
Directly involving themselves in a situation that was between UA and the other passenger. It's like being a tattle tale or in someway brown nosing with the crew.

when he started acting suspicious and making fake calls just to deceive me,.....
Sorry but this is precisely the bahavior FAs use to make things worse rather than defuse situations. Suspicious? Really? The guy was agitated and being a jer.k So to make it sound better people allude to security risks. This is where I am calling BS....

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 30, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.