Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "EWR-HNL (Seating, Meals, Service, etc.) Questions" Thread {Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "EWR-HNL (Seating, Meals, Service, etc.) Questions" Thread {Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Taking UA14, on a 763. Has anyone been on it recently who could offer insight on what to expect from service (and how it compares to pre-Polaris service)? Yes, I know there is a separate thread for that, but my question is more on the HNL-EWR-HNL flights.

Also, my seat chart shows the bathrooms in the front of the cabin. Last time I was on these flights (July), they were in the back, but that may have been on the 764. Where will they be on this flight?

Many thanks!
Take your own snacks! On my flight in February the snack basket was empty before we even flew over California. FAs told me the flight is routinely under-stocked. I found it appalling that the meals were served only at the beginning and end of a 10+ hour flight. UA customer service actually responded to my complaint by saying they only guarantee one meal in first class on the HNL-EWR flight. Fortunately a proactive purser grabbed a yogurt box from Y for me.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jja34-1
Take your own snacks! On my flight in February the snack basket was empty before we even flew over California. FAs told me the flight is routinely under-stocked. I found it appalling that the meals were served only at the beginning and end of a 10+ hour flight. UA customer service actually responded to my complaint by saying they only guarantee one meal in first class on the HNL-EWR flight. Fortunately a proactive purser grabbed a yogurt box from Y for me.
Mahalo for your suggestion! At what points during the flight were your meals served?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I have to second the need for snacks. Actually, when I'm on that flight, even in F, I bring a sandwich in case I get hungry. Sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't. But I'd never get on without having additional food with me.

Considering the flight is now during most people's waking hours and crosses at least 1 meal time (2 on the outbound from EWR), it really is bad that UA doesn't provide more substantial meal services.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Mahalo for your suggestion! At what points during the flight were your meals served?
Meals were served after take-off and about 90 minutes before landing. I was told they could heat up a meal early for me, but then I would not be provided with another meal prior to landing.

I've done this flight a few times and don't remember being so hungry in the past!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jja34-1
Meals were served after take-off and about 90 minutes before landing. I was told they could heat up a meal early for me, but then I would not be provided with another meal prior to landing.

I've done this flight a few times and don't remember being so hungry in the past!
The timing sounds about right from past experience. Being hungry does not. Oh well, I'll come prepared with provisions, just in case

Oh, are they servicing ice cream sundaes? Last time for me they did not

Last edited by 747FC; Apr 21, 2017 at 11:03 am Reason: spelling error
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The last I went in late May 2016 we had sundaes.

I'll be going again in June and I've read there was some issue with the manufacture and they're service ice cream in a cup.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion
Any insight into what they offer for the special children's meal in first? We have a 2 and 5 year old, and they are normally hit and miss with domestic first food.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How does the service from EWR currently compare to IAD or ORD and vice versa? Are these longer flights pretty much harmonized in terms of service offerings?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NJMichigan
Any insight into what they offer for the special children's meal in first? We have a 2 and 5 year old, and they are normally hit and miss with domestic first food.
I'd suggest cheeseburgers from coach.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:13 am

I will be taking this flight again in Nov after last taking it in 2015.

I noticed that the return (now flight 362) departs HNL at 4:20pm. It used to depart much later (around 8pm). Any idea why and when it changed and if it mount be changing back?
Old May 19, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by trout11
...I noticed that the return (now flight 362) departs HNL at 4:20pm. It used to depart much later (around 8pm). Any idea why and when it changed...?
I wrote UA and asked they adjust the schedule so I could arrive London day after leaving HNL instead of 2nd morning after. The same plane often continues EWR-LHR as 8:30a departure. I think it was a fleet utilization move.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by trout11
Any idea why and when it changed and if it mount be changing back?
It has been this way for several years.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread isConsolidated "EWR-HNL (Seating, Meals, Service, etc.) Questions" Thread [Merged]

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 3, 2024 at 11:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.