Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking class on paid ticket not honoured.

Booking class on paid ticket not honoured.

Old Nov 21, 12, 4:28 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
I have many times booked AC fares on UA.COM that show first (because the AC fare code looks like first to UA) but I knew in the booking process that I was booking Y. The opposite just happened, booked a UA P flight with legs on AC. AC booked it into J, which was correct, but when I spoke with an agent to try to change seats, she thought it was in Tango, the lowest Y fare for AC. She came back off hold embarrassed but it is not surprising that she was confused.

So you really have to know what class you are booking, despite the fare code as there doesn't seem to be much logic to it when flying on AC metal at least.
Old Nov 21, 12, 4:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Lornag View Post
Interesting. But I think AC has a brand "executive first". Not sure if the trips to hawaii are branded that way. But definitely the other international destinations.

thank you
yes but not to Hawaii ... Cabin Comfort
Old Nov 21, 12, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: RCC: SC; BC: M.Ed.; UA: PG; DL: GM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
typo , meant to be a question ending with??? "which (of the two) is the legally binding label???"
While a "reasonable person" might not have a clear idea of what AC's fare class codes represent, or indeed know whether the UA site is displaying UA or AC fare codes, or even if here is a difference between the two, that same reasonable person more than likely is aware of what "First Class" means.
Old Nov 21, 12, 4:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
While a "reasonable person" might not have a clear idea of what AC's fare class codes represent, or indeed know whether the UA site is displaying UA or AC fare codes, or even if here is a difference between the two, that same reasonable person more than likely is aware of what "First Class" means.
IMNAL, so have no idea if the reasonable person rule matters or not ... or what the DoT considers for reg 399.88(a). But I would not be surprized the fare class is the key element in the DoT eyes..

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 21, 12 at 4:44 pm Reason: another typo :-(
Old Nov 21, 12, 4:37 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AC
This is what I think too. "first" or "A"...not that everyone would know what "A" means (contextually) but first is pretty clear.

Here's my additional quandary as I wait to get some traction or not with UA on this. I would like to hedge my bets by booking the same itinerary in tango + for the first leg which is not A, but L (in AC terms) and so I can do it within 24 hour time span without a charge (beyond fare class). This way I might get to use an upgrade.

Do I cancel my ticket? The repurchase? (no fee within 24 hours) Do I sit on it and wait for some satisfaction? Buy another one and hope the first is refundable and I guess the second? Or just wait?

Lorna
Old Nov 21, 12, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer View Post
If United sold you a fare marked as First class - they have a legal right to honor that contract. Next time you talk to a supervisor, mention the DOT reg 399.88(a).

“The seller of the air transportation cannot increase the price of that air transportation to that consumer, even when the fare is a “mistake.’’’
Wrong. UA will simply laugh at you. The rule applies only to "tickets" and this was not ticketed in F. As it turns out, there isn't even F on the aircraft. OP has been offered the upgraded cabin at the price difference, but doesn't have to accept it.

OP can file w. DOT, but he'll still be sitting in a coach seat on his flight, UA will fight this issue and it will win and that's only if DOT pursues it.
Old Nov 21, 12, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Wrong. UA will simply laugh at you. The rule applies only to "tickets" and this was not ticketed in F. As it turns out, there isn't even F on the aircraft. OP has been offered the upgraded cabin at the price difference, but doesn't have to accept it.

OP can file w. DOT, but he'll still be sitting in a coach seat on his flight, UA will fight this issue and it will win and that's only if DOT pursues it.
Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, even if its totally based on speculation. But its usually less deceptive when you acknowledge that nothing in your post is based on fact.
Old Nov 21, 12, 7:53 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by star_world View Post
Indeed. The other issue is that there probably is no "First Class" on the flight the OP booked, assuming it's the direct AC flight YVR-HNL. It's called "Executive" class.

Air Canada does not have a first class, it is Executive First or in other words, pretty much Business Class, but they do a pretty good job in EF
Old Nov 22, 12, 5:13 am

Programs: Have
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
bottom line - you booked an A fare on AC.

Just because the website displayed it as First(A) - it doesnt make it any less of an A fare.
well...

we all know Air Canada doesn't have first class, international or domestic.
they are unlike UA/DL/AA who names the front cabin of a domestic 2 class to 'first'.

that cabin has Business class booking classes J/C/D/I etc.

so when you see F A P O you can be sure there is no such equivlaent on AC.
Old Nov 22, 12, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SKRan View Post
so when you see F A P O you can be sure there is no such equivlaent on AC.
But there is - A class is economy on Air Canada.

The person bought an A fare - and it was displayed wrong on united.com - but still bought just an A fare on AC metal - which is 50% earning economy.
Old Nov 22, 12, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Based on the OP description of what he was offered it seems almost certain that he asked the booking engine for economy seats. Had he searched for first class he would have gotten a very different fare. So what is the complaint - that he asked for economy and got, in fact, economy? To my knowledge there is no cheaper economy that he could have gotten. So he isn't paying extra and he got what he asked for. The only "error" seems to be that he saw one leg shown as in first class as he was booking it due to the code/name mapping problem. Quite honestly this sounds a lot like someone who actually knew what he was getting and is simply trying to game the system now.
Old Nov 22, 12, 9:43 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer View Post
If United sold you a fare marked as First class - they have a legal right to honor that contract. Next time you talk to a supervisor, mention the DOT reg 399.88(a).

“The seller of the air transportation cannot increase the price of that air transportation to that consumer, even when the fare is a “mistake.’’’
Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
IMNAL, so have no idea if the reasonable person rule matters or not ... or what the DoT considers for reg 399.88(a). But I would not be surprized the fare class is the key element in the DoT eyes..
When you buy a ticket you are making a contract with the business (here United). What you are buying is what was adverted/offered for sale and that would be judged using an OBJECTIVELY REASONABLE STANDARD. It appears you are in Canada, but the standard is the same under Canadian law. What you thought/felt subjectively is irrelevant.

While DOT has not expressly said so, under Reg 399.88(a), it appears to be the same objective standard. That something is a super good deal does not make it not objectively impossible to be correct. On the other hand DOT found the 4 mile fares to be not reasonable, in large part it appears because it was priced correctly until the last screen. A good example would be a business that sold you a car for 40,000 but ran your credit card at $400. that is a mistake in what was collected, not in the underlying deal.

Certain folks here may know that an A fare is a coach fare on AC, certain folks may know that SHARES miss-prices these. But that is irrelevant to an Objective standard. Its UAL's problem, not yours. [And there a lot of published legal cases on these issues, people offering 29" TVs for sale and trying to deliver a 19" as it was a "mistake", or trying to vary the "headline" of the offer with fine print. Courts always say no, the "offer" as it would read to a normal typical person (OBJECTIVE STANDARD) controls].

Legally, this really comes down to what the web-site said before you hit "purchase". If it displayed "FIRST CLASS" that that is what was sold. That is because objectively that is what people would expect to be getting, and it is an understood common term. And by first class it might be business or a domestic first class, or a EURO style seat block out, but it would be the class that was ABOVE COACH.

On the other hand if it says "A" and you are assuming that is First Class, then you are out of luck. Your average Joe seeing a fare and "A" as the class would not assume it was "FIRST CLASS"

Call back UAL, ask to speak to a supervisor. Cite the DOT regulation, tell them you have copies of the screen shot showing it says "First Class" before purchase, and that they have to honor it under DOT regulations and state/Canadian laws. Tell them if they don't agree to honor it, then you will file a DOT complaint for the fare difference (and I would go price out a one way on your flight and save the details] and contemplate pursuing in Court (It appears you are in Canada, here I would suggest small claims court, but don't know if they have a similar system there).

Finally, UAL will perhaps argue its a "filed rate" and the filing controls. If so tell them that express oral or written representations control over any filed rate tariff, and that here you have WRITTEN representations about fare class.

I really don't feel sorry for UA here. Its a known problem evidently, and if they chose not to fix it before now, then they can pay the extra money to fly the OP in "FIRST CLASS."

regardless, have a good trip getting out of the NW gloom
Old Nov 22, 12, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
$600 in A YVR to HNL is clearly an error. We'd have to see screenshots to see how the "A" Tango Fare in AC's system really swapped to "A" on the UA screen.
Btw, I wouldn't be so sure that it is clear! (And this is coming from an FTer who doesn't like the constant legitimizing of airline mistake fares).

Every once in a whole, there is are ally good A or Z fare out there. I got a $250 published Z fare on DL from LAX to YUL via JFK last year. Legit fare. Published. Advertised.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: