Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR-CLE... what is going on with these fares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-CLE... what is going on with these fares?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Billygreg
This is true all over and is likely because of the moronic 3 day rule. I have had prices of over $1200 r/t from IAD-AUS, IAD-DEN and IAD-SAN when looking at the flight 3 weeks out or more but only staying one night and often this is both direct and with one stop. UA is the worst offender on this as I can find US flights out of DCA vs IAD direct to some places much cheaper.
There's a market for the highe fares on shorter stays. As someone notes earlier in this thread, those shorter trips are largely business trips which people must make, so they're willing to pay the freight.

Means UA and others can sell cheaper seats for longer stays, which is good for leisure travelers. Not sure what people want, other than cheap fares for every seat at all times.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: 1K no more
staggered booking solution

A prior post solved your problem. For example, book EWR-CLE Mon-Wedof next week, then book CLE-EWR upcoming Wed-Mon. Bingo! You get two 3day stays at plus 4 day prices, no rules broken, all benefits included. Repeat.

I used the same method for tatl BRU-IAD bookings. It saved thousands.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:16 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by trflyer
A prior post solved your problem. For example, book EWR-CLE Mon-Wedof next week, then book CLE-EWR upcoming Wed-Mon. Bingo! You get two 3day stays at plus 4 day prices, no rules broken, all benefits included. Repeat.

I used the same method for tatl BRU-IAD bookings. It saved thousands.
I believe you're describing back-to-back (or nested) ticketing (could be wrong, since I'm not clear on the exact dates you suggest) as defined by United:

[b]Back-to-Back Ticketing[b] - the booking and/or issuance and/or use of Flight Coupons from two or more different Tickets at round trip fares for the purpose of circumventing applicable tariff rules (such as advance purchase/minimum stay requirements or other restrictions).
This is also against the contract of carriage. You're more likely to get away with it than hidden-city, but if you get caught, the penalties are the same.

Think about it this way. You fly around 100K miles per year, and as a result, you've figured out some good ways to get around United's booking policies. But United flies about 10 billion passenger miles per year. You gotta figure that any way to circumvent the ticketing restrictions that you've come up with, they probably already came up with. And then they put language in the CoC forbidding it.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Thought about going to NYC for new years. Leave 12-31 return 1-1 CLE-EWR $416.00, I see a PIT-EWR for $143.00. I wounder why they charge so little from PIT, WN fares are over $400.00RT. I would do it even know it is not mainline and a 2-1/2 drive.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Have you looked at ZFV? Phillie 30th st station amtrak station?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
I saw the title of this thread and thought prices CLE-EWR finally came down to normal...! oh well. Always crazy fares on this one.

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Thought about going to NYC for new years. Leave 12-31 return 1-1 CLE-EWR $416.00, I see a PIT-EWR for $143.00. I wounder why they charge so little from PIT, WN fares are over $400.00RT. I would do it even know it is not mainline and a 2-1/2 drive.
I bet PIT feeds lots if international connecting flights so they do all they can to pull traffic with low fares on that route to fill TATL away from PIT TATL flights options.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 25, 2012 at 11:28 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 25, 2012, 9:28 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The three-day stay requirement is another "change we'll like" from PMCO; while PMUA had the occasional 2-day or Saturday night stay requirement to discourage business travelers from buying the el-cheapo fares, I can't recall a domestic fare on PMUA which had 3-day stay requirements. But they're the norm on many fortress PMCO routes.

Truly they have taken the worst of both airlines from a consumer perspective.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ericcheung
Have you looked at ZFV? Phillie 30th st station amtrak station?
If pricing out an itinerary starting in ZFV, does Amtrak actually collect your ticket and report it to UA in any form, or is this a city code you could effectively do 'hidden city' ticketing with all the time and just start in EWR?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exerda
The three-day stay requirement is another "change we'll like" from PMCO; while PMUA had the occasional 2-day or Saturday night stay requirement to discourage business travelers from buying the el-cheapo fares, I can't recall a domestic fare on PMUA which had 3-day stay requirements. But they're the norm on many fortress PMCO routes.
+1 - don't ever remember this on UA, now see it far too often ex-EWR
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
If you don't mind CAK, EWR-CAK on US is usually less than $300

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.