Search

Discussion of United Club at HNL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
FYI, the Club (and UA Gates) are not long for this world as that end of the airport is scheduled for expansion and refurbishment.

Daniel K. Inouye Airport to get new $1.1 billion concourse
Sorta. I would cite the following from the link you posted:

The Legislature appropriated money to begin planning the project two years ago, and airports officials will soon award a contract to begin planning the new facility. Ige said construction will start in five years, and should be completed five years after that.
"not long for this world" = at least 5 years.

And, given the logistics and lengthy supply chain for all of the materiel for the new concourse, even longer until it is completed.

David
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:38 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Hawaiian time, no doubt!

Originally Posted by Kacee
While the gate areas are awful, I will really miss the open air walk to the main terminal upon arrival. I've always loved stepping out into that warm, soft, tropical air after five hours in a metal tube . . . .
Agreed; that's my favorite part of coming home.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
...but I find the front-desk staff is well-intentioned but totally useless in helping with any sort of irr/ops or ticketing issues.
Well, except the one time I was flying HNL-West coast and flight was cancelled. Total CF at gate, so went upstairs just before they announced (obvious cancellation) and agent put me in last lie-flat seat the next night (I was using a RPU or GPU, and I'm pretty sure some paid F person was in back ) After using my taxi voucher I got a (thanks to Marriott) ocean-front room and breakfast buffet courtesy of the hotel voucher. And the taxi voucher back to the airport. I felt somewhat guilty about not being in the office in Houston while hanging at Duke Kahanomoku Beach.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I'm very happy to hear that. Maybe things have improved.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: Platinum
I'm very happy to hear that. Maybe things have improved.
I had a similar experience as you. An early morning flight went mechanical a few years ago, and when I asked the ladies at the desk for help they told me they don’t do IRROPs and told me to call CS instead. I’m just a Gold and not a frequent patron, so that’s probably it.

Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
The staff at the UC in HNL are great. Very nice and helpful. I would just like new seating at the club. The seats they have are old and uncomfy. Look forward to upgrades at HNL even if it's 10 years off.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by mh3265a
The staff at the UC in HNL are great. Very nice and helpful. I would just like new seating at the club. The seats they have are old and uncomfy. Look forward to upgrades at HNL even if it's 10 years off.
there is finally new seating rolled last month, as discussed above. I’m happy to see the old Hawaiian chairs gone replaced with more sleek furniture.

I do find the staff nice. It would be great if the can help in Irregular operations, like in any other club, but seems they call when needed.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Never been to the UC despite living here for 20 years. Looking forward to trying it out next week and reporting back. Do they make any complimentary local mixed drinks?

I will say that at least a few years ago, some of the staff did not know the rules for *G access on international itineraries...which is part of why I have never been to the HNL UC
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by 1KHI

there is finally new seating rolled last month, as discussed above. I’m happy to see the old Hawaiian chairs gone replaced with more sleek furniture.

I do find the staff nice. It would be great if the can help in Irregular operations, like in any other club, but seems they call when needed.
Missed that - glad they've got some new furniture!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
The HNL UC staff are very nice, but it is often packed during the prime time late afternoon/evening hours. It's too bad they gave up the former Continental Presidents Club location (now a Sky Club) at Gate 13 as not all United and Star Alliance partner flights arrive/depart from the Diamond Head concourse.

No Hawaii government-managed construction, especially for transit projects at HNL, start or finish on time, so it will probably be years before we see any construction activity begin on the new concourse. I wonder where they will actually move United's gates and if there's anywhere available for even a temporary UC. As we've seen in EWR, temporary UCs, while well-meaning, often miss the mark.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by auandagbug
....No Hawaii government-managed construction, especially for transit projects at HNL, start or finish on time...
...or on/under budget. Airports Division of HDOT is historically known for corruption. You never know - it might be fixed. Or not.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I like the style of the club and the bartenders, but I find the front-desk staff is well-intentioned but totally useless in helping with any sort of irr/ops or ticketing issues.
Because there is nothing that they can do.

All ex-HNL flights fly to hubs. And many do not end travel at hubs. When the impact from IRROPS are uncertain, it is difficult to do anything unless things are clear, which mostly happened only when they arrive at the hubs.

FYI, the Club (and UA Gates) are not long for this world as that end of the airport is scheduled for expansion and refurbishment.

Daniel K. Inouye Airport to get new $1.1 billion concourse
Depending how you define long, based all previous discussion about the renovation, it will be years before this will happen.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:09 pm

The former CO Presidents Club was closed; lounge operations are consoldidated into the former UA Red Carpet Club.
The former UA Red Carpet Club was the PANAM's Clipper Club when UA took over the PANAM's Pacific route. As I recall nothing much has changed since the Clipper Club date: essentially the same layout and the same furniture, except it has been reported here that the old chairs have been replaced in January, 2018.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by garykung
Because there is nothing that they can do.

All ex-HNL flights fly to hubs. And many do not end travel at hubs. When the impact from IRROPS are uncertain, it is difficult to do anything unless things are clear, which mostly happened only when they arrive at the hubs.
Of course there is something they can do. If my HNL-LAX goes mechanical, rebook/protect me via SFO or IAH or DEN -- don't just tell me to go to the gate or call CS.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Of course there is something they can do. If my HNL-LAX goes mechanical, rebook/protect me via SFO or IAH or DEN -- don't just tell me to go to the gate or call CS.
Taking your example - when HNL-LAX goes mechanical, you are not alone. IME - there are at least 100 pax who are in the same situation as you do. It will be impossible to accommodate all those impacted. Also - it is not necessary that any alternative flights have the capacities (Note - in some cases, even using B772, UA has to impose weight restriction on HNL routes).

It is simpler to resolve the IRROPS rather than rebooking.

FWIW - I have been flying through HNL for some many time over the years. I have only been rebooked once proactively.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.