Discussion of United Club at HNL

Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Discussion of United Club at HNL

I've recently relocated to HNL and have a few trips coming up so plan to be using one *A lounge or another as a UC member. From what I can tell both on the UA site, *A site, and from HNL, the UC is the only lounge option. Is this really the case, and if so how is the UC at HNL as to amenities, food and drink options, etc.? It looks like there is an Air New Zealand lounge but is it close to the UA gates and if not is it worth trying to get to? I honestly find it hard to believe that with all the traffic to Asia and the Pacific there aren't more lounge options here.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
The RCC is pretty nice, although the drinks and snacks will be just like the items offered in any other club.

They do have some nice guava juice in the juice machine, and IIRC from my visit two weeks ago, they would sell you a mai-tai at the bar.

It's much better than waiting in the sub-par gate areas, which will be packed with passengers (especially if flying on a wide-body flight).
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Hotels, Marriott
I believe that NZ contracts their lounge out to AA and that precludes *G use.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, looks like the UC will be the plan then. I've always liked the UC/RCCs (thus the membership) but just wanted to check on the options. Pretty much anything should beat HA's lounges at HNL as far as amenities and options go, they offer little to nothing except for coffe and a soda fountain; pretty sad.

Now as to why a *A carrier contracts with an OW carrier, I can't say that really makes sense since part of having an alliance is to have reciprocal lounges.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:57 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
There are cases where the location of the gates in relationship to the lounge require some creative solutions. In the case of HNL, the UA Club in the Diamond Head concourse is too distant from the Ewa concourse (where AC operates from) to make it a viable departure lounge for Air Canada passengers.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
HNL RCC is my favorite of all the domestic clubs. It was somewhat unique in times past but now conforms to the snacks and other amenity standards of the rest. Still -large, never particularly crowded, tropical in feeling and as FrendlySkies notes, a decent MaiTai.

If only the escalator up worked more than half the time (airport issue, not UA issue).
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, UA 1K, Alaska MVP, Caesars Diamond, MGM Gold
they also have longboard on tap at the UC!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lexi123
they also have longboard on tap at the UC!
Well that's better than Bud or something similar, but I just relocated from PDX where the UC has Rogue on tap!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, United MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
My favorite Club--large Club area--almost never crowded, good staff, great views of the runways.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by pdxtraveller
My favorite Club--large Club area--almost never crowded, good staff, great views of the runways.
and of your last sunset on the islands waiting for flight 14
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1k; Hyatt Plat; SPG Gold; Avis PC Preferred; Priority Pass Select; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by pdxtraveller
+1, last time i was sitting in the lounge, i saw 8+ F-16s land and taxi back to the air force base.

Impressive sound.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:12 pm

How would you rate the United Club in HNL?

How would you rate the UA lounge?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Honors Diamond; SPG Platinum
of most of the United Clubs, i find it to be one of the better ones - quieter, more secluded, emptier, and they serve Kona Longboard as their house beer.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: United
I don't know if they converted the old Continental Presidents Club to a United Club, but I remember when I had to work at JICPAC for three months, my company paid for me to come home every 30 days, so I had three round trips (4 of 6 in first class). The thing that made that club special was the staff. When I was waiting for a last minute upgrade to first class (someone didn't check in), they kept on top of it for me. By my last trip back home, when I entered the the club, they would say "Aloha" and my name. Such great service.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The former CO Presidents Club was closed; lounge operations are consoldidated into the former UA Red Carpet Club.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.