Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

$125 to re-deposit unused upgrade award due to changing flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum; UAL Silver

I searched back several months but didn't see a similar topic although I imagine there must be one.

Several months ago I booked a domestic RT flight for mid December. The fare was a little over $300. I burned 20,000 miles each way for a F upgrade. Last week I had to change both legs of the flight. Paid a $150 change fee and several hundred more $ for the fare (+15,000 miles to upgrade one way; the return upgrade wasn't available).

After I booked the change, there was a message that I had to request that the 40,000 miles be re-deposited to my account. Today I received an e-mail saying that there is a $125 re-deposit fee per upgrade ($250 total).

I'm not the type who usually complains, but this is ridiculous. If they can take the miles out of my account with a couple mouse clicks, why can't they re-deposit them for no/little cost? Anyone had success getting this fee waived?

I assume it doesn't make a difference but I'm a Premier member.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you make a voluntary change then you pay to redeposit the award. If you leave it applied to the reservation and it doesn't clear then there is no charge to have it refunded.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum; UAL Silver
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sbm12
If you make a voluntary change then you pay to redeposit the award. If you leave it applied to the reservation and it doesn't clear then there is no charge to have it refunded.
Would be nice if they said that. Thank you VERY much!

I wonder if it will get messed up since I was able to upgrade the outbound flight?

Last edited by SaintsFan; Dec 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.