Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA award ticket with US miles question..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
UA award ticket with US miles question..

So I am going to AMS next year (from YEG) and want to book a friend of mine a ticket to join me using my old US miles as a present

I really want to clear out the 60K US miles I still have in my dividend miles account but want to book his ticket on UA (same flights as me ideally)

Anyways I have read this:

I've read through http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ad-merged.html

So I know I need to book this with US directly, which is fine, but I am wondering will this ticket on UA stock if all segments are UA??

And if that is the case, will I be able to change the award itinerary with UA directly if I need too (as I understand It, I will then have no fees as 1K right) ??

Thanks!!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by whitethunder

So I know I need to book this with US directly, which is fine, but I am wondering will this ticket on UA stock if all segments are UA??

And if that is the case, will I be able to change the award itinerary with UA directly if I need too (as I understand It, I will then have no fees as 1K right) ??
No, and no. It will be a US ticket starting with 037 for the ticket number, and you will need to chat with US to change it. Your 1K status gets you nothing.

FWIW, it's often easy to get US miles for around a cent per mile, sometimes less (I've burned over 200K US miles, acquired nearly 300K the three years, no CC churn involved, and have flown a grand total of three flights on US during that time, maybe 2500 miles in the air ). That means you're ~$300 plus some taxes and fees for a business class redemption to Hong Kong with Europe stopover. So those miles aren't exactly useless if you let them sit around a bit.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
awesome thanks for the reply, will book this tonight, thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.