COPA Upgrades for United members?

Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by coolcoil
They don't do a great job of publicizing it. I think I received an email from them sometime in February saying that the program was still on and applies to any COPA channel purchase (i.e. website, phone, or at COPA office).

Unfortunately, my company is cracking down on the requirement to use the company travel agency, so I have only received the bonus on one flight this year.
Oh well. I actually buy the tickets on Expedia as CM does not serve my city. Tickets booked into "A" on UA operated flights and "D" on CM flights. Ticket number starts with 2307........which I assume is CM ticket number.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Yes, they pretty much follow the same rules as UA.

- Same RDM bonus based on Premiere level.
- All standard fare classes minimum 100% RDM
- Bonus 50% RDM for Y, B, M and (I think) H
- Bonus for C and D
- Min 500 mile credit for Premiere FF members
you know eventually, i will fly CM.
Old May 1, 2013, 1:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Oh well. I actually buy the tickets on Expedia as CM does not serve my city. Tickets booked into "A" on UA operated flights and "D" on CM flights. Ticket number starts with 2307........which I assume is CM ticket number.
That's better than buying the United codeshare, because United will book the Copa leg into "Z" and then they will try to tell you that a "Z" on Copa is not mileage eligible even though it's not really "Z," it's a Copa "D," and mileage eligibility is supposed to be determined based on the metal, not the carrier selling the codeshare, but don't even get me started on this . . . .
Old Jun 26, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
PQM 25% Bonus

To get the 25% PQM bonus, you do need to call COPA or use their website. The ticket would be on COPA stock. Unfortunately, on the website it is hard to find combined COPA/UA tickets. The site only allows you to select cities to which COPA flies, so if your itinerary does not include one of those cities, that won't work.

The UA website will not show you COPA routings if UA has an alternative. For example, when I book IAD-MDE, the UA site will not show COPA's IAD-PTY-MDE routing. The exception to that rule is if you look up award travel instead of paid tickets.

I would look on Hipmunk or Orbitz. Find a routing that includes both airlines and call COPA to see if they can book it for you if you want the 25% PQM bonus. However, the COPA agent cannot apply the GPU. You will have to call UA separately to do that. If you want to use GPU's, any UA metal must be W or better.

I've never done it myself, since I don't have the patience for all of that.

I don't think that COPA has a 24 hour policy like UA. At least, I have never seen anything in their published materials that says so.
Hi there,

Just Booked an L Class fare on the COPA Site LAX-PTY-SCL and Open Jaw MVD-PTY-LAX I have my MP Number in the record. Will I get the 25% PQM Bonus or is this something that you need to register for. Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Hi there,

Just Booked an L Class fare on the COPA Site LAX-PTY-SCL and Open Jaw MVD-PTY-LAX I have my MP Number in the record. Will I get the 25% PQM Bonus or is this something that you need to register for. Thanks and Safe Travels..
No need to do anything. It's automatic. It often takes a few weeks for the bonus to show up, though.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No need to do anything. It's automatic. It often takes a few weeks for the bonus to show up, though.
Agreed, it should be automatic. But I've had all sorts of problems getting Copa mileage to post. I would say follow up is required three times out of four, with extensive follow-up required about half the time.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed, it should be automatic. But I've had all sorts of problems getting Copa mileage to post. I would say follow up is required three times out of four, with extensive follow-up required about half the time.
I would say it depends on your tolerance level. I agree in many cases that the mileage takes so long to show up that it would induce many people to call.

Since for me, the time spent on the call is not worth the miles, I always wait. In the end the miles have always posted correctly. That said, I have had some worst-case situations (after 3/3/12) where the bonus miles took 3 months to post. In that case, a software problem was discovered and corrected and all miles posted after a special weekend sweep.

I did have a case this year where it took 30 days for miles to post. My last flight, though, posted in 4 days.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I fly Copa very frequently. The 25% PQM bonus (as stated by others here) does often take a while to post, but it has always posted for me eventually. This, of course, assumes that I actually booked it on copa.com. I made the mistake of booking a Copa flight on UA's site recently in an attempt to better organize my itineraries. Cost me nearly 1,000 bonus miles. Fortunately, it's not going to make a difference in this year's 1K qualification, as I'm at 102,XXX booked and paid for right now.

I currently live in Costa Rica, and I try to fly Copa whenever possible. The 25% bonus is one reason, but the UG percentages are much higher, and the food in F is usually very, very good with at least two options, usually three. They serve free food in both cabins even on short flights like SJO-PTY. It's a real treat and so different from some of the stuff UA serves.

The downside: The IFE is quite lacking on most of their fleet, and I don't think I have ever seen in seat power, even in F. If anything goes wrong, I never get a response from writing to their customer service department. (I once got a problem resolved by writing directly to the CEO, who answered me personally and promptly.)

Overall, however, they are a great airline, IMO. The inflight service is frequently much better than any U.S. airline. The planes are very clean, with many of them quite new. Depending on your departure city and date, it might be a rare chance for a Silver to get an UG. My last flight from MCO-PTY had only 7 of 16 F seats occupied.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
The downside: The IFE is quite lacking on most of their fleet, and I don't think I have ever seen in seat power, even in F.
I agree, Copa is a pleasure to fly.

The 738B they use LAX-PTY has decent AVOD and in-seat power in clase ejecutiva
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat

I got that equipment one time from PTY-SJO, but I couldn't remember if it had the power outlets. Haven't seen that set-up since, and I loved those seats.

Do you have any idea of the 1K CPU percentages? I frequently fly them between MCO and PTY, and any fare class is an instant upgrade fare for all practical purposes on that route.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
I got that equipment one time from PTY-SJO, but I couldn't remember if it had the power outlets. Haven't seen that set-up since, and I loved those seats.

Do you have any idea of the 1K CPU percentages? I frequently fly them between MCO and PTY, and any fare class is an instant upgrade fare for all practical purposes on that route.
I have a 100% CPU percentage in COPA this year (12/12)
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
TSA PreCheck

Does Copa participate in the PreCheck from LAX? I looked on their website and couldn't see a spot for the GOES number. I see the redress one and would expect it there, if they participated.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by 1K_From_SNA
Does Copa participate in the PreCheck from LAX? I looked on their website and couldn't see a spot for the GOES number. I see the redress one and would expect it there, if they participated.
They are not listed at http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/tsa-...ating-airports. No foreign carriers participate at this time (well, one could argue that VX is a foreign airline )/
Old Jun 30, 2013, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

^
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
MP Award Ticket Upgrades on Copa?

Anyone have any success getting a CPU on a Copa flight that was part of a Mileage Plus award ticket? And if so was it "automatic" or do you have to add your name to the list at the airport? I just got the United Explorer card which offers upgrades on award tickets on both United and Copa operated flights. Since I got the card, I noticed a separate United domestic award ticket that I had booked now has the "upgrade arrow" ("Eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrade") but the other reservation that includes the Copa flights does not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.