COPA Upgrades for United members?

Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:02 pm

Does row 18 on 737-800 recline? Seatguru states it does not on one of the version.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
I have my MP number attached to a JFK-PTY-MVD flight but I don't see that blue arrow that says 'eligible for CPU' ...should I be concerned?

Last edited by Blootch; Apr 6, 2013 at 11:57 am
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Blootch
I have my MP number attached to a JFK-PTY-MTD flight but I don't see that blue arrow that says 'eligible for CPU' ...should I be concerned?
Did you book it on united.com?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
I did and I don't see that flag in my reservation; I'm not worried about it. It is a partner booking on the UA site, not a native one.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:15 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by sbm12
I did and I don't see that flag in my reservation; I'm not worried about it. It is a partner booking on the UA site, not a native one.
I know you have a lot of experience in this area, but I will confirm that you are correct. I often book COPA flights through United, and while the United site says "not eligible for an upgrade," the standard COPA upgrade process always runs.

The other thing that I will mention in case others need the information is this:

The United site will not let you select a seat. However, you can select you seat on www.copaair.com. You will need the COPA PNR, which is different than the United PNR. You can find the COPA PNR on the United site by looking at your reservation. The link is called something like "other information."

On the COPA site, click on "manage your booking." You enter your COPA PNR and last name. Eventually (it's slow) your reservation will appear, and you then choose "select flight preferences." Don't try this immediately after you book the flight on the UA site, as you cannot select seats on COPA until the flight is actually ticketed. I usually do it a day later.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: several
Any idea if Copa ever gives comp upgrades to non-United MP *G's? I have LH miles&more SEN ( *G. )
I have only a lowly W fare, but it'd be certainly most welcomed to sit in a larger seat. Thank you for replies.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Starman
Sorry if this is obvious, but what's the fare bucket to be used for instrument supported upgrades (specifically, M+ award) on COPA? If I understand correctly, these are NOT *A upgrades, but rather CM is treated as if it were a UA flight for upgrade awards. I see R buckets listed on some but not all of their flights. Is the bucket the same for pure CM flights versus UA code share on CM metal?
The bucket that needs to be available is Z. It's a different process than the UA regional upgrades. There isn't a lot of z space available ime.

This process to get it registered in my 1 experience was painful. Although I rarely say this, it's usually better to have an ex-co agent and you might want to start by asking if they have ever upgraded on copa before. I've been told the process is similar to what was done between Continental and KLM back in the skyteam period when an agent had to 'cat' the reservation by creating a new reservation with a UA pnr that can communicate with the copa reservation. This once paid off when leaving from mvd and other 1ks were in the back when their CPU didn't clear but the regional cleared instantly.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by flycal312
The bucket that needs to be available is Z. It's a different process than the UA regional upgrades. There isn't a lot of z space available ime.
Thanks. You're right about limited Z availability, at least on my 4 recent CM legs, which I watched closely before the flights -- Z never opened on any of them. My issuing carrier was CM, not UA. It finally dawned on me to to check whether there was a discounted C fare on my route (to SCL), and there was, in D class, and it was just $400 more r/t than I had already paid for my M fare. CM allowed me to upfare the M seat to D with no penalty, and I then magically had a confirmed business class seat on the entire itinerary (including 50% RDM bonus) for far less than I would have spent on UA to South America once my GPUs were exhausted, namely $1000 for r/t u/g copay. Sure, the seats are not lie-flat, but I found it an extremely pleasant trip with a better soft product, a much quieter, small cabin (with 16 seats, like the upper deck on a 744), and no constant battle over the u/g as would be true with UA. I'll do this again in a flash.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by jral
Any idea if Copa ever gives comp upgrades to non-United MP *G's? I have LH miles&more SEN ( *G. )
I have only a lowly W fare, but it'd be certainly most welcomed to sit in a larger seat. Thank you for replies.
Maybe as an OpUp but don't bet on it.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
So after some reflection, I've decided that I won't likely have a better use for my RPUs this year than this flight. I tried to look for Z class, but EF doesn't show a Z class in the regular availability search, and the only option in the upgrades/awards search is I class (business upgrade) and specifying Z class there does nothing, either.

Where can I see Z class inventory?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by jackal
So after some reflection, I've decided that I won't likely have a better use for my RPUs this year than this flight. I tried to look for Z class, but EF doesn't show a Z class in the regular availability search, and the only option in the upgrades/awards search is I class (business upgrade) and specifying Z class there does nothing, either.

Where can I see Z class inventory?
If I recall correctly, KVSTool does show Z for CM. Edited: Whoops, this does not appear to be correct. Not sure where i found Z listed previously, but I did find it somewhere.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:26 am

I can intermittently see Z inventory on FlightStats but I cannot figure the rhyme or reason for when it shows up or why. It does show here, for example, but not here. And that's for the same flight, though one has an onward connection and the other does not. But even that isn't sufficient to get consistent search results. I've had some where the same search will show two flight options, one with Z and one without.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by sbm12
I can intermittently see Z inventory on FlightStats but I cannot figure the rhyme or reason for when it shows up or why. It does show here, for example, but not here. And that's for the same flight, though one has an onward connection and the other does not. But even that isn't sufficient to get consistent search results. I've had some where the same search will show two flight options, one with Z and one without.
It appears that Z class maps to I on CM, so a search for that on EF returns the correct result. I just got off the phone with UA and confirmed that what they see as Z, I can see as I on CM.

This process to get it registered in my 1 experience was painful. Although I rarely say this, it's usually better to have an ex-co agent and you might want to start by asking if they have ever upgraded on copa before. I've been told the process is similar to what was done between Continental and KLM back in the skyteam period when an agent had to 'cat' the reservation by creating a new reservation with a UA pnr that can communicate with the copa reservation. This once paid off when leaving from mvd and other 1ks were in the back when their CPU didn't clear but the regional cleared instantly.
The 1K desk transferred me to the *A desk when I asked about upgrading on COPA, and the guys there absolutely knew what they were doing without question. Call them directly at 1-877-726-7282, option 1. (The process itself is as you described and definitely takes awhile, but they were able to do it immediately without any prompting or asking for supervisors or anything.)

Also, for a little blast from the past, search FT for that phone number.

Last edited by jackal; Apr 9, 2013 at 11:16 am
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I've read this thread but don't feel any smarter on how to book and get an upgrade on COPA

I'd like to take advantage of the below promo and use RPUs for my upgrades

By purchasing your flights through any of our direct channels* you can get to Premier status, maintain your current status or reach the next level. Now through December 31, 2013, youll earn 25% additional Premier qualifying miles every time you purchase and complete your travel.

*Web:copa.com; Call Center and Ticket Office (CTO)
Do I call COPA for that? Am I missing something or is that all I need to do? Also, a mixed UA/CM itinerary might work best. I can't pull this up on either UA or CM [user error?]. Can COPA book this if I call including the W fare for GPUs on the UA segment? Lastly, 24H cancel policy for COPA too?

Cheers -
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Yes, booked on UA.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.