Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA1K AA EXP--have both--choose 1

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by unavaca
I don't understand why people are plugging CX to Asia over UA. UA to Asia has a reasonably chance to get into C thanks to SWUs; AA SWUs are useless on CX. It's not really a fair comparison.

For the curious, I'm roughly 80% on my Asia SWUs over the last few years (I only go once or twice a year).
I am flying paid C as I am sure do a lot of other GS. I take paid C on CS any day over paid C on UA. Recently a lot of my flights booked into Z so no upgrade to F either. I still have most of my SWU's left since I could not use them except on a world around ticket (books into D).
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I don't understand why people are plugging CX to Asia over UA. UA to Asia has a reasonably chance to get into C thanks to SWUs; AA SWUs are useless on CX. It's not really a fair comparison.
To be fair, I have seen many AAers reference flying CX on paid J or as a great place to burn miles, and less desirable overall for Y...Asia clearly the weak link for AA WRT upgrades.

My HKG-EWR C over the weekend became HKG-(domestic F)-NRT-(C)-EWR, so now I'm on CX F nonstop
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG

For the curious, I'm roughly 80% on my Asia SWUs over the last few years (I only go once or twice a year).
For some it is a fair comparison. In the past 3 years, I have never purchased a W or above fare on United. So for me, the SWUs are useless and I would be comparing Y on CX with Y on UA.

Despite living in NYC and having family in CLE, I made the decision to stay with AA next year. Will most likely lose any UA status next year. The kicker for me was purchasing a $600 fare to deep South America and having all the upgrades clear on a eVIP. The entire experience was flawless and markedly different from my UA experience in Y on the same route.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by flycal312
For some it is a fair comparison. In the past 3 years, I have never purchased a W or above fare on United. So for me, the SWUs are useless and I would be comparing Y on CX with Y on UA.

Despite living in NYC and having family in CLE, I made the decision to stay with AA next year. Will most likely lose any UA status next year. The kicker for me was purchasing a $600 fare to deep South America and having all the upgrades clear on a eVIP. The entire experience was flawless and markedly different from my UA experience in Y on the same route.
I have about had it with 1K, and am probably going to go back to Diamond on DL and EXP on AA next year. SWU's have become a joke (running about 10% success rate) and I am sick of playing the W+ game. I am sick of seeing unused SWU's in my account at the end of every year - so this year will be it with about 60K flown miles. Next year will probably be a lot less - AA and DL are better choices - even though I spend a lot of time in Asia.

At least DL gives you the option of just taking miles instead of their worthless PMU's (which I do) which if UA/CO was smart they would give a 'cash out' value. Clearly there have been some complaints since they just extended them to a 2 year period next year.

Too late for me...

I will drop to Gold (lifetime anyway) for the time being. Giving them 100K of flying a year is something I am done with. Better to give the business to AA and DL - as well as their partners.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by Rpcfly
UAGS-AAEplt-UA1K in that order.....IMHO
Concur....Also, IMO...if the merger with US happens, I think they will take notes/lessons from the debacle that UA continues to be and handle the issues a lot better than UA has....
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by goingbananas
Originally Posted by Rpcfly
UAGS-AAEplt-UA1K in that order.....IMHO
Concur....Also, IMO...if the merger with US happens, I think they will take notes/lessons from the debacle that UA continues to be and handle the issues a lot better than UA has....
I think a merger with US would be awful for AA fliers, but:

1) it may not happen
2) I may be wrong and it could be neutral or even great.

Bottom line is that I will deal with it if necessary. I'm not avoiding flying AA because of some future thing that may happen. My preference for AA over UA is significant and present tense.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

I think a merger with US would be awful for AA fliers, but:

1) it may not happen
2) I may be wrong and it could be neutral or even great.

Bottom line is that I will deal with it if necessary. I'm not avoiding flying AA because of some future thing that may happen. My preference for AA over UA is significant and present tense.
+1, a choice between a possible merger that may be bad vs. a merger that we already know is bad.

For what it's worth, while I can't speak from personal experience, I've met people who have sampled both UA and US at an elite level recently and felt US to be much superior.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I'm not avoiding flying AA because of some future thing that may happen.
I held the same viewpoint on the UA-CO merger. I gave it a few months, continued to fly, and then they made changes I could not live with (elimination of 1MM benefits, changes in bonus miles for midtier flyers), and I stopped booking paid tickets. If an AA-US merger happens, I'll deal with the changes and make my decision after the merger. I do see some positives, particularly with the addition of U.S. and Europe destinations, to stick around and see how such a merger would play out.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I’ve been a loyal CO flyer for nearly 18 years, achieving top BIS-based elite status every year except for two. About 6 years ago I started noticing changes in the way CO treated its elites, especially in the area of upgrades (TODs, cheap buy-ups, disappearing EUA inventory during EUA runs, etc). I shifted half of my travel to AA and earned EXP. Neither airline totally fulfilled my airline needs, so I’ve maintained both EXP and Plat (now Plat 1K) since 2006. AA had the better upgrade rate, UA had fewer delays. AA had power in FC cabins, CO/UA had better service. Etc, etc, etc. Even post 3/3, IMO both airlines have gone through equally rough periods of bad operations.

However, I have noticed a marked change in attitudes toward me as a customer by both airlines. As AA entered BK and is hopefully about to exit BK, AA has really started acting like they appreciate my business as an EXP. From thanking me on-board to going out of their way to fix CS issues, it’s been noticeable. What’s also been noticeable is that UA doesn’t really care for my business as a 1K, although I provide a fair amount of incremental income. The last straw was earlier this week when UA lost a RPU upgrade and basically told me to pound sand.

All airlines go through cycles. 18 years ago CO was the laughingstock of the industry. They got very good, now they are in a downward spiral. AA has had its ups and downs. IMO, it’s on an upward path at the moment. I’m shifting all my business away from UA, and I’d advise others to do the same.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Good idea to structure the decision points, but it's not quite that simple since your two categories are somewhat intertwined. For example, a good night's sleep on a plane may be a "need" or a "benefit" at different times for me, depending upon my schedule and the importance of arriving well-rested on a particular trip.

Let me suggest a different way to approach the problem: Think about your last n trips and for each one compare the overall experience with what you would have expected on the competitor. It's easier if you've been flying on both of them frequently on similar trips, but you can also come up with a good theoretical trip by looking at schedules and factoring in experience data from other people here. This is pretty much what we all do when we're trying to choose between different airlines in planning a trip.

Factoring in the importance to you of each trip, you can then get a good sense of whether one airline is clearly better for you personally, or if perhaps you ought to split your travel between them, based on the type of trip, destination, etc. While this method may seem more complicated, it should yield a much better solution than trying to isolate individual factors like network size or FF program that may not have a great impact on most of your own trips.
Sorry but you are overcomplicating my points. The intertwining does not come into play until after you have evaluated my first two points. Look at point one, which airline wins. Look at point two forgetting about point one. Which program wins. If same airline you do not need to go to point three. If you do you have two choices. Which is more important, the flying alone or the benefits alone.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Catbert10
All airlines go through cycles. 18 years ago CO was the laughingstock of the industry. They got very good, now they are in a downward spiral. AA has had its ups and downs. IMO, it’s on an upward path at the moment. I’m shifting all my business away from UA, and I’d advise others to do the same.
I keep thinking I should post more details of my experiences. Then I read something like this and figure I could just hit quote with a +1.

For me, right now, the only thing UA might possibly have over AA is the hard product premium seats. For long-haul, I do prefer them to AA's current business class offerings. They also have the better route network. Other than that, in every single other aspect of flying, AA + One World is currently so far superior that I can't even bother to start a comparison.

I'll summarize with one quick one, though. I recently flew a very long, multi-itinerary trip starting from CDG to ORD on AA business continuing to LAX to SYD in UA First. Overall, the AA experience (check-in to lounges to service, etc.) was just so, so much better than UA. If UA's int'l first can't compel me beyond AA's business, well, that speaks volumes. UA- nice seat, though.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Baze
Sorry but you are overcomplicating my points. The intertwining does not come into play until after you have evaluated my first two points. Look at point one, which airline wins. Look at point two forgetting about point one. Which program wins. If same airline you do not need to go to point three. If you do you have two choices. Which is more important, the flying alone or the benefits alone.
Okay, maybe I misunderstood what you meant by "flying needs". Generally I need a way to reliably get to my destination at a particular time or within a specific travel window; relaxed, alert, and ready for my next activity; and without undue inefficiencies before, during, or after the trip.

Are those the things that you need as well? If so, I don't see how you can neatly separate them from the ff program-related benefits that contribute so much to many of those needs.

On the other hand, if your "needs" are defined as simply the most non stops to your favorite destinations or which model aircraft fits you best, then maybe it is simple for you.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently flew US in F on an award ticket. Out of the PHX hub on a Friday afternoon, First/Elite check in desk was closed. There was no sign on where the replacement counters were. It turned out they were mixed with the kiosks. Really? Closing First/Elite lines at a hub on a Friday afternoon? What serious airline does that?

I was lucky I had a good check-in agent who had to ask 2 supervisors (one of them said no and walked away) to through-check my bags to Asiana. Then the lounge lady could not tell what "OZ" was, if they were in the Star Alliance and what the IATA airport code for Seoul was.

We experienced the cultural clash between CO and UA. I think the merger between US and AA will be a lot worse. AA customers are going to feel they have lost a lot once Doug Parker and Company starts to run AA like an LCC. (I know in a way AA has to be like an LCC to survive but it won't be AA, which thrived on complexity and sophistication, aanymore.)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member

Originally Posted by username
I recently flew US in F on an award ticket. Out of the PHX hub on a Friday afternoon, First/Elite check in desk was closed. There was no sign on where the replacement counters were. It turned out they were mixed with the kiosks. Really? Closing First/Elite lines at a hub on a Friday afternoon? What serious airline does that?

I was lucky I had a good check-in agent who had to ask 2 supervisors (one of them said no and walked away) to through-check my bags to Asiana. Then the lounge lady could not tell what "OZ" was, if they were in the Star Alliance and what the IATA airport code for Seoul was.

We experienced the cultural clash between CO and UA. I think the merger between US and AA will be a lot worse. AA customers are going to feel they have lost a lot once Doug Parker and Company starts to run AA like an LCC. (I know in a way AA has to be like an LCC to survive but it won't be AA, which thrived on complexity and sophistication, aanymore.)
Yea but don't forget the end of the world is right around the corner.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by DWFI
As an SF/NY based 1K / EXP I am definitely in the AA boat. AA has great JFK<->SFO transcon service and very good frequencies and connections on the SFO<->DFW and SFO<->ORD routes. For Pacific flying it's CX to HKG and onward from there, and for Europe BA's LHR services from SFO and ridiculous frequency from JFK are also excellent.

Last time I flew out of SFO on UA, I waited 25 minutes to check in at the premier counter [had to speak to an agent]. Needless to say that has never happened at AA, ever, anywhere.
Thanks for your insights! Maybe you like it so much because you're flying business or first? My company rarely pays for business, so for me to get to Asia in business, I need to go:

SFO-LAX-NRT-XXX
SFO-LAX-PVG
SFO-LAX-PEK

or to India, it's the unnecessarily long SFO-XXX-LHR-XXX. And coming back from India, it's XXX-LHR-SFO all on BA coach because you can't make it back to the west coast on AA on the same day and it's not worthwhile overnighting somewhere just to get upgraded to AA's business.

I have major UA envy when I see all the nonstops to Asia from SFO, wondering what it would be like to use my SWUs on those flights going nonstop with no double or triple-layovers. But then I hear all the stuff on FT about SWUs not clearing on UA, having to pay a higher fare class to be eligible for an upgrade, the bad customer service, the backwards-facing 2-4-2 seating in business, etc. and I figure I'll just stay with AA.

Also, UA won't even match me to 1K so I'd have to lose a year of benefits just to see what UA 1K is like which makes it seem not worthwhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.