Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 737-700

Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond

Was looking at flights for a possible trip this spring and was disappointed when I accessed one the seat maps. It looks like UA is reducing the seat count in F from 12 to 8 on these planes. I looked to see if it could be a 735 or 319 which do have 8 F seats but no, the 319 only has 31 rows in Y (this plane has 32) so it also couldn't be a 735.

I know due to the addition of this non-sense EconomyPlus scheme the configuration was changed form 12/112 to 12/106, removing an entire row of Y seats to facilitate the additional legroom. Thanks to this nonsense we ARE seeing a reduction in F seats despite the remarks from UAInsider in Summer 2011:

Originally Posted by UA Insider
[*]More Economy Plus, and soon. This fall we’ll also begin installing Economy Plus seating on our Continental mainline aircraft. We aim to have it on 38 Continental aircraft by year end (including some of the 767-400s mentioned above) and plus another 100 by next spring. Once we’re done, we will have Economy Plus on over 850 aircraft – more than any other airline. Worth noting: when installing Economy Plus on the Continental aircraft, we’ll be taking Economy Class seats out and leaving First and Business Class cabins intact.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's all about money. E+ is a revenue generator much more than F is. And as a lowly Gold I sure don't think E+ is "nonsense".
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I know due to the addition of this non-sense EconomyPlus scheme the configuration was changed form 12/112 to 12/106, removing an entire row of Y seats to facilitate the additional legroom. Thanks to this nonsense we ARE seeing a reduction in F seats despite the remarks from UAInsider in Summer 2011:

How is adding more legroom nonsense? Have you considered that this is just a glitch on the seatmap? Maybe something to verify before you get so worked up...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
There are lots of issues with incorrect seatmaps. Have you confirmed the issue for other 737-700 flights?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

How is adding more legroom nonsense? Have you considered that this is just a glitch on the seatmap? Maybe something to verify before you get so worked up...
EconomyPlus is PM-UA garbage and it does reduce F seats. I'd take a CO 738 with 16F anyday over UA 320 with 12F and E+; 73G with 12F is better than 319 with 8F. DL reduced the A319 to 12F (from 16) and the A320 is in the process of having the same done thanks to Economy Comfort.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:40 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Was looking at flights for a possible trip this spring and was disappointed when I accessed one the seat maps. It looks like UA is reducing the seat count in F from 12 to 8 on these planes. I looked to see if it could be a 735 or 319 which do have 8 F seats but no, the 319 only has 31 rows in Y (this plane has 32) so it also couldn't be a 735.

This is a 735. If it's a 73G UA is increasing the legroom in E-.

BTW: The A319 has far less than 31 rows of Y. 31*6 = 186. An A319 with 31 rows of seating at 6 seats per row would be illegal.

Last edited by ralfp; Nov 15, 2012 at 8:46 pm
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club

It could very well be a computer problem showing the wrong seat map
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ralfp
Why does not being an A319 make it impossible to be a 735?

This is a 735. If it's a 73G UA is increasing the legroom in E-.
No, row 14 does not exist on 735 equipped with E+ in the 8/100 configuration.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx

Originally Posted by ralfp
BTW: The A319 has far less than 31 rows of Y. 31*6 = 186. An A319 with 31 rows of seating at 6 seats per row would be illegal.
Duh. The row numbering does not correspond with the number of rows. UA skips rows to align exit rows and standardize the fleet.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, you are obviously a DYKWIA who never has to sit in economy E+ is a huge money maker or UA would have scrapped it long ago. Are your F tickets Paid F? Are you complaining that with less F seats your chances of upgrades is reduced? What is your real complaint other then you think E+ is nonsense?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:56 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
No, row 14 does not exist on 735 equipped with E+ in the 8/100 configuration.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx
It exists in the original 735 config.

Duh. The row numbering does not correspond with the number of rows. UA skips rows to align exit rows and standardize the fleet.
This is why I responded to your statement that "the 319 only has 31 rows in Y".

The A319 numbering goes to 34, IIRC.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
EconomyPlus is PM-UA garbage and it does reduce F seats.
I think you know how inflammatory the first part of that statement is. E+ was a silver lining of innovation in this industry, one whose benefits have probably accrued to more passengers than it may have harmed through denied upgrades. UA made a mistake getting rid of e500s and adopting UDU and, post-merger, EUA. Back when I was a multiple-year 2P, UA's product lineup was a godsend: Upgrades when I really wanted them (instead of sporadically and rarely now for Silvers) and E+ very consistently. E+, of course, is no longer a given for Silvers, but remains more of a cherished consolation prize for all tiers when our upgrades don't clear than it ever has been. Even legacy CO management has seen the power of that.

Technically, I'd also point out that it's not necessarily zero-sum between E+ and F. Just look at the 757 fleet: UA now has a mix of F24/E+/E-, F24/E- (for now), and F16/E+/E-, plus p.s. It's door 2 that affects F capacity, not E+.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: 1K, MM, Marriott Plat
Was looking at flights for a possible trip this spring and was disappointed when I accessed one the seat maps. It looks like UA is reducing the seat count in F from 12 to 8 on these planes...
Actually, it is definitely a 737-700. I booked a RT ticket yesterday from ORD to RSW in March and did it with an agent vs. online. I asked her specifically about the seat map online and as well on seatguru and she confirmed that this plane has been changed to only 8 seats in F. She also said the change will be coming to all same models soon.

UAL dba as CO is another change we will like, right $misek?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by seagar
Actually, it is definitely a 737-700. I booked a RT ticket yesterday from ORD to RSW in March and did it with an agent vs. online. I asked her specifically about the seat map online and as well on seatguru and she confirmed that this plane has been changed to only 8 seats in F. She also said the change will be coming to all same models soon.

UAL dba as CO is another change we will like, right $misek?
I wouldn't necessarily believe everything you hear from a phone agent..
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: 1K, MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I wouldn't necessarily believe everything you hear from a phone agent..
Well, when you book the flight in F and there are only two rows and the plane is a 737 700, why would I question her? Do you know something UAL and my booked seat doesn't?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seagar
Well, when you book the flight in F and there are only two rows and the plane is a 737 700, why would I question her? Do you know something UAL and my booked seat doesn't?
I do not have any inside knowledge. However, with the number of threads that have been started since 3/3 about problems with the seatmaps, and other res problems, I would not be surprised if this was just a glitch.

Though if it is a change, I expect somebody from COdbaUA will be along to give the party line about this being a good thing. Me? I don't really care. Since 3/3, upgrades for this 1K are all but non-existent, which means that I depend on the chance to get an E+ seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.