Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Elites +Companion Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Upgrading award tickets

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued MileagePlus credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:
  • United℠ Explorer Card
  • United Explorer℠ Business Card
  • United℠ Business Card
  • United Quest℠ Card
  • United Club℠ Card
  • United Club℠ Business Card
  • United Club℠ Infinite Card
  • United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Card
  • United Presidential Plus Business Card

Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized as indicated in the "Upgrade Confirmation Priority" section above, and prioritized after the lowest paid fare class within each Premier level. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.
New statement on companions changed late 2021?
This benefit only extends to one companion traveling on an award ticket. The companion must be traveling on the same PNR as the primary Cardmember.
Early on success in being transferred to the gate list had been spotty and many agents will claim this benefit does not exist. Since 2017 this appears to be working better.

Previous thread
Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Premiers Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC {ARCHIVE}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Elites +Companion Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2022, 3:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
FYI to readers. the rule on companions change in 2021
New statement on companions
This benefit only extends to one companion traveling on an award ticket. The companion must be traveling on the same PNR as the primary Cardmember.
one companion is now included
Old May 16, 2022, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by dbldwn02
Wife (no status, no CC), is CPU'd on award flight with me. I have 1k and United Explorer.

Now all they need to do is allow us to use these worthless Plus Points on Award Flights. 1% better chance of getting upgraded!
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
FYI to readers. the rule on companions change in 2021
New statement on companions

one companion is now included
I don't think companions are included. My wife didn't make it to the upgrade list...same booking. I'm number 1 for tomorrow's flight with available seats. I had to call to try to get removed. She told me it's system generated and can't be removed. She can only put a note there and then I can hope they don't upgrade me and give away my seat next to my wife. The rep blamed me for not calling to request "no-upgrade" before I booked. SMH...What a cluster.

Edit: Looking at the United website, it looks like they posted that 1 companion is eligible...
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...des-types.html
"This benefit only extends to one companion traveling on an award ticket. The companion must be traveling on the same PNR as the primary Cardmember."

Last edited by dbldwn02; May 16, 2022 at 9:13 am Reason: Adding source
Old May 16, 2022, 9:53 pm

This is a cluster.
Wife and I were both CPU Eligible on the same PNR. (Award Ticket) The system auto-split the PNR, upgraded me and left her in econ. You wants a divorce?...that's how you get a divorce! Now they can't put me back because, blah blah blah,,it's the system...it's too close to leaving...blah blah.
Old May 16, 2022, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
This is a cluster.
Wife and I were both CPU Eligible on the same PNR. (Award Ticket) The system auto-split the PNR, upgraded me and left her in econ. You wants a divorce?...that's how you get a divorce! Now they can't put me back because, blah blah blah,,it's the system...it's too close to leaving...blah blah.
You can certainly give the seat to your wife. If you keep the F seat - yes, you are in trouble. Even if she says, "No, you take it" - you better not.

Edit: Now that I think about it - you couldn't have been on the same PNR - it had to be split for you to get the upgrade. Upgrade is only for eligible card holder who used card to make the purchase. One of you was CPU-eligible, NOT both. Only one of you ever had a chance to get the upgrade, so you should have called and asked to be removed from CPU consideration if you wanted to stay together.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 16, 2022 at 10:02 pm
Old May 16, 2022, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Edit: Now that I think about it - you couldn't have been on the same PNR - it had to be split for you to get the upgrade. Upgrade is only for eligible card holder who used card to make the purchase. One of you was not eligible.
Based on this thread, it appears that UA's marketing team has changed the benefit but neglected to tell the team that handles the day-of-flight waitlists.
dbldwn02 likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Edit: Now that I think about it - you couldn't have been on the same PNR - it had to be split for you to get the upgrade. Upgrade is only for eligible card holder who used card to make the purchase. One of you was CPU-eligible, NOT both. Only one of you ever had a chance to get the upgrade, so you should have called and asked to be removed from CPU consideration if you wanted to stay together.
We were on the same PNR and we BOTH showed CPU Eligible. See my post above from a few months months ago, with screenshots.

United changed CPU Eligibility on Award Flights. Primary cardholder and one guest get CPU Eligible. However, when the 5 days before departure came, "the system" split the reservation and upgraded only me. She never showed on the upgrade list but she still showed CPU Requested on her new PNR.

​​​​​​6 Months ago I would have agreed with you on eligibility, because it's been that way for years. But I promise you, this is the way "the system" works now.

Last edited by dbldwn02; May 23, 2022 at 10:55 am Reason: Adding info
Old May 23, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Gold
We were on the same PNR and we BOTH showed CPU Eligible. See my post above from a few months months ago, with screenshots.

United changed CPU Eligibility on Award Flights. Primary cardholder and one guest get CPU Eligible. However, when the 5 days before departure came, "the system" split the reservation and upgraded only me. She never showed on the upgrade list but she still showed CPU Requested on her new PNR.

​​​​​​6 Months ago I would have agreed with you on eligibility, because it's been that way for years. But I promise you, this is the way "the system" works now.
i was on an award ticket with my companion on another paid ticket but luckily the check-in agent was able to add him to the upgrade list and we both got upgraded. Def an exception/luck though

on a different note, I had a similar experience with the split issue but on a paid ticket. I opted in for split during check-in but we were still both on the upgrade list. I then did a same-day change and even though we were still both on the same PNR, my companion was not on the list. I chatted and called the premier desk and of course was repeatedly told the same thing that the list is system-generated and cannot be modified. HUCA a few times and was connected to a "local" agent and she (or I asked?) escalated to a supervisor. Eventually they split our reservations and "fixed" it by manually adding us as MUA upgrades.
Old May 31, 2022, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Award tickets are eligible for upgrades??

It's been a while since I posted here.

I have a trip booked LGA/DEN using miles. I'm Million Miler. I noticed that my res says this is eligible for an upgrade. Is that true?

I have another itn booked for my wife using miles. She has gifted Gold status. Her reservation has no notation about an upgrade. Which of these are a glitch?

Thanks for the assist.

dh
Old May 31, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dhammer53
It's been a while since I posted here.

I have a trip booked LGA/DEN using miles. I'm Million Miler. I noticed that my res says this is eligible for an upgrade. Is that true?

I have another itn booked for my wife using miles. She has gifted Gold status. Her reservation has no notation about an upgrade. Which of these are a glitch?

Thanks for the assist.

dh
If you have an eligible credit card (eg, Chase Explorer) to pay for taxes, you will be eligible for CPU. If your wife is not a primary card holder, she is not eligible for CPU.
Old May 31, 2022, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you have an eligible credit card (eg, Chase Explorer) to pay for taxes, you will be eligible for CPU. If your wife is not a primary card holder, she is not eligible for CPU.
You do not have to pay with the Chase card to be eligible for the CPU benefit on awards. If you hold an eligible card, the benefit applies regardless how taxes/fees were paid.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kmxu
No need to use the card for taxes and one PNR companion is now included
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Award ticket upgrade

Hi;

I am Premier 1K. Bought an award ticket in economy. Going LAX-EWR-YUL.

I am not appearing on the "upgrade eligible customer list". I spoke to agent and they said (Award tickets are not eligible for CPUs):

Is this true?! Any other way I can upgrade my ticket?

Last edited by MDFFlyer; Jun 14, 2022 at 3:05 pm
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
You can only upgrade awards if:

You are GS with an PP
You are on a domestic (including Canada/carribean... think non long haul or PS) award and have one of the UA Charge Cards that allows it (Used to be called Explorer or United Club Card... not sure of the nomenclature now).
You are offered an upgrade for cash at somepoint (typically check in).
MDFFlyer and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
Hi;

I am Premier 1K. Bought an award ticket in economy. Going LAX-EWR-YUL.

I am not appearing on the "upgrade eligable customer list". I spoke to agent and they said (Award tickets are not eligible for CPUs):

Is this true?! Any other way I can upgrade my ticket?
Award tickets are not available for CPUs unless you hold a qualifying United-branded Chase credit card.

LAX-EWR isn't eligible for CPUs in the first place, so you'd only be talking about EWR-YUL.

You may be offered a cash buy-up at check-in, or you can change to a business class award.
MDFFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Award tickets are not available for CPUs unless you hold a qualifying United-branded Chase credit card.
You have to have the card, and use it to pay for some part of the reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.