Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Elites +Companion Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC

Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Upgrading award tickets

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued MileagePlus credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:
  • United℠ Explorer Card
  • United Explorer℠ Business Card
  • United℠ Business Card
  • United Quest℠ Card
  • United Club℠ Card
  • United Club℠ Business Card
  • United Club℠ Infinite Card
  • United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Card
  • United Presidential Plus Business Card

Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized as indicated in the "Upgrade Confirmation Priority" section above, and prioritized after the lowest paid fare class within each Premier level. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.
New statement on companions changed late 2021?
This benefit only extends to one companion traveling on an award ticket. The companion must be traveling on the same PNR as the primary Cardmember.
Early on success in being transferred to the gate list had been spotty and many agents will claim this benefit does not exist. Since 2017 this appears to be working better.

Previous thread
Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Premiers Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC {ARCHIVE}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Elites +Companion Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC

Old Sep 13, 2023, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For both directions?
She hasn't flown the inbound yet, but since she booked that one with her own miles, I assume she will.

It sounds like she got super lucky on the outbound, unless the rules changed. FWIW, she has my 1K status via 1MM.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 1:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
definitely a fortuitous glitch in your favor
Old Sep 19, 2023, 12:26 pm

UA complimentary premier upgrade on domestic award tickets

I'm holding Premier Silver status with United Airlines and also carrying a United Explorer credit card. I have two award bookings that I'm a confused about how CPU eligibility applies. One booking is for an IAD-LAS nonstop flight that I have NOT seen CPU Eligible in the booking details. The other booking is for a later, international flight with layover in Houston. The first leg of the international flight is for DCA-IAH which I see CPU Eligible in the booking details. Both domestic award tickets have the same XN fare class for flights taking off while my Premier Silver status is still in effect. I do not understand why one domestic award flight is eligible for complimentary premier upgrade and the other is not. Can anyone shed some light on this inconsistency in complimentary premier upgrade eligibility on domestic award tickets? Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 19, 2023, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thong1210
Can anyone shed some light on this inconsistency in complimentary premier upgrade eligibility on domestic award tickets? Thanks in advance!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

If there are no more than two passengers on the reservation, both of your flights should be CPU-eligible. It's possible that UA got confused -- maybe you weren't yet Silver, or didn't have the Explorer card, when you booked IAD-LAS?

Regardless, I wouldn't invest a lot of time worrying about it. The chances of a Silver clearing a CPU on an IAD-LAS award ticket are virtually nil.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; Sep 19, 2023 at 4:18 pm Reason: Had incorrect word -- thanks econ
Old Sep 19, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by jsloan
If there are no more than two flights on the reservation, both of your flights should be CPU-eligible.
Is there supposedly a 2-segment maximum? I’ve had 3-segment domestic award itineraries before and have been CPU-eligible on all segments.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
Is there supposedly a 2-segment maximum? I’ve had 3-segment domestic award itineraries before and have been CPU-eligible on all segments.
Nope, sorry, my brain got ahead of my fingers. I meant 2 passengers. Corrected. Thanks.
econ likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 2:17 pm

Upgrades on Award booking

I wanted to know whether paying the taxes using a United Explorer card will allow me to be placed on an upgrade list for an award booking on either a domestic or international flight. Current 1k member. Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2023, 2:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by harischsood
I wanted to know whether paying the taxes using a United Explorer card will allow me to be placed on an upgrade list for an award booking on either a domestic or international flight. Current 1k member. Thanks!
Yes
Old Nov 16, 2023, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by harischsood
There's no need to pay the taxes with an Explorer card to get on the upgrade list. Being a cardholder is enough.

Note that this is CPU routes only . So, yes, some international, such as Canada, but this isn't going to get you an upgrade on Polaris-marketed flights.
SPN Lifer and harischsood like this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:55 pm

I booked an HND-SFO-AUS award using UA miles. The HND-SFO leg is booked in I, while SFO-AUS is booked in XN. I have the UA Explorer Biz CC (no status) but I don't see Upgrade Requested anywhere on SFO-AUS. Is it supposed to be there, or do I have to contact UA to add myself in? I know I probably won't clear the upgrade anyway, but I'm curious.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ahuei123456
I booked an HND-SFO-AUS award using UA miles. The HND-SFO leg is booked in I, while SFO-AUS is booked in XN. I have the UA Explorer Biz CC (no status) but I don't see Upgrade Requested anywhere on SFO-AUS. Is it supposed to be there, or do I have to contact UA to add myself in? I know I probably won't clear the upgrade anyway, but I'm curious.
Without status, you would not be eligible for a CPU even with the card.

You could potentially try to waitlist for I, if you can find someone who knows how to do that.

Either way, your chances of getting info F on that route are slim.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 4:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Husband (1K) and I (Plat) are booked on UA award ticket on same PNR. 3 segments, first two of which are LH J and F, followed by UA Y.

I didn’t think we would be eligible for CPU (although husband is UA Chase cardholder) but we appeared on UG list at 2 and 3.

On checking in with LH husband is still 2 but I dropped to position 10.

Is any of this functioning as intended? More importantly is there any way to get me back up the UG list. Currently 13/16 booked so no guarantee I know but don’t want to miss out if I could get last UG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.